Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tamed the monster! #8431 04/13/2005 2:36 AM
ccdhowell Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I finally made it to the range, actually a 20 acre field. It's been too wet to get into. I wanted to let ya'll know how my 300WM performed since I had the JP Howitzer brake installed. Before the brake --- 4-5 shots and I was ready to put it down; after the brake --- 25 shots in one session with no fatigue what-so-ever. The recoil reduction is most near 100%, and I'm not making that up, I was surprised too. I shot 180gr Woodleighs with 77 gr H1000, and though the cases showed pressure too high(I won't load that high again), I couldn't resist shooting the whole lot I'd loaded. There is a trade-off, blast............BIG blast. And that takes some getting used to, but it is easier to deal with than the recoil. I wholeheartedly endorse the JP Howitzer brake, installed by EABCO, and will use it again to tame another monster should the need arise.

(This is a non-paid endorsment)

6.5x55 Swede.....and that's all I nede.
Hard-luck huntin' in Louisiana. Chris
Re: Tamed the monster! [Re: ccdhowell] #8432 04/13/2005 3:01 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
good deal dude. a 300 win mag is definately a good handgun round AS LONG as it's braked.

couldn't be happier with my OTT shark gill brake on mine.........and not gettin paid fer that either. LOL

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Tamed the monster! [Re: ccdhowell] #8433 04/13/2005 12:12 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I know they work, I just don't like the way they look hanging on the end of the barrel. I wish they could make it look a little smaller. I have my smith install the Brownells multi-ports on mine they work awesome, but only to about 70% reduction. I was able to shoot 30 rounds of heavy loaded 375H&H on Sunday with no problem. I can't say the same about Tony V's 500 BFR!! I shot that thing 4 times to many!!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Tamed the monster! [Re: ccdhowell] #8434 04/14/2005 3:31 PM
drdoolittle_1 Offline
I think those brakes look cool as heck! Chris, does it move things around on the bench when you shoot? I had a Hunter barrel that everytime I shot I had to readjust the spotting scope!
Cheers,
Dave

The Gun Garage "We fix ugly guns"
Re: Tamed the monster! [Re: drdoolittle_1] #8435 04/15/2005 2:33 AM
ccdhowell Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have an unorthadox bench set-up; a folding card table with a ice chest on top to get the height I need. I put a heavy blanket on top of the ice chest and my shooting bags on that and no, nothing moves because all of my stuff is about 18 inches below the barrel line. It would move, if it was close. My spotting scope is a pair of Swarofski binos that I got real cheap one time, they're old, but still real good.

Hey doc, I wanted to tell you that the paint you put on looks great and held-up well at the range. The paint inside the muzzle brake didn't fair so well though. Maybe it was the fireball that came spouting out of both sides of the thing, but something burned all the paint off the inside of the brake, both chambers. It was to be expected and it doesn't diminish my happiness with your work. Just wanted you to know.

Re: Tamed the monster! [Re: ccdhowell] #8436 04/15/2005 1:23 PM
drdoolittle_1 Offline
Cool. That is the first Howitzer style brake I have refinished. Now I know. In the future, I will leave the chambers parkerized. Besides, it was a real bugger trying to get paint into the chambers!! It has held up well in porting of other brakes. There is a lot of flat surface area that is at a 90 degree angle to the blast I am glad the brake works so well, I just think they are so cool looking......but I have a weird taste...LOL
Cheers,
Dave

The Gun Garage "We fix ugly guns"
Re: Tamed the monster! [Re: drdoolittle_1] #8437 04/16/2005 4:19 AM
ccdhowell Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I guess I do too. Like the looks myself, now if I can just figure out how to get it into my bandolier holster!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod