Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cast bullets and shot placement? #8486 04/17/2005 3:46 AM
DakotaElkSlayer Offline OP
OP Offline
Having never handgun hunted before, as well as, never used cast bullets before, I was wondering if you would give me your opinion on shot placement on game. Do we still go behind the shoulder like we do with jacketed bullets and broadheads, or the shoulder itself?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8487 04/17/2005 3:58 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
For eastern deer I have always used the standard behind the shoulder shot and done very well....little to no tracking is required. Shot on in the neck while quartering to me once...no tracking needed!! Flipped her clear over backwards!! I have not taken any bigger boned game with cast bullets so I'll leave that to others to comment on.

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8488 04/17/2005 3:13 PM
builder45 Offline
I have only shot one animal with cast bullets and it was a blue wildebeest. I shot it through the shoulder breaking it and coming out the other side. He only ran about 40 or fifty yards if I remember correctly but it wasn't much. If I were shooting again I would aim for the shoulder and try to break it and get in to the boiler room from there.

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: builder45] #8489 04/17/2005 9:30 PM
gmww Offline
stranger
stranger
I used a .45 cal hard cast pistol bullet from my sabot Muzzle loader. I shot a Wa. Whitetail at 60 yards. It passed right through without a problem. I would suggest should or just behind for vitals since the bullet does not expand much.

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8490 04/18/2005 12:03 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Punch it through the lungs with a heavy one. Bullet in;bullet out,blood all over=dead deer HOWEVER I shot a big buck three years ago with a 320 CSWC from a 444 Marlin and the shot was a little high in the lungs and it ran too far -it literally stumbled and thrashed right into another hunter who was walking up the hill;he was very proud to put his tag on my deer. The only shot he fired was was from about three feet from the deers ear! Breaking one down is not a bad idea. I usually let the area I hunt decide how I take them. I prefer to double lung for the easy blood trail.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #8491 04/18/2005 9:39 PM
OP Offline
Just how far does a deer usually travel after a double lung from a hard cast bullet(.452)? How does it compare with a double lung hit with a broadhead?

Jim

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8492 04/18/2005 11:42 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Obviously it can be very different from deer to deer. It only happened once to me, and on this occassion, the deer only went about 85 yards, but here in Central Pa in a Hemlock and Laurel thicket, another hunter can be in your lap and you'll not really know it. This was the case. I still only hunt with hard cast SWC in my 44's and 45's and I always will. The only deer I have ever seen drop on the spot are the spinal column shots. My archery deer (with good hits) seem to die as fast , some even die faster, but I think the level of awareness of the deer is different. Archery deer are usually unaware (more so) than rifle season deer Adrenalin does crazy things.
It's sort of like shooting one goose over a decoy and watching it fly and then drop out of the sky. IMHO-I am a firm believer of hard cast SWC bullets. Good luck.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #8493 04/19/2005 1:51 AM
OP Offline
Thanks BullElk Hunter! You are exactly right about the awareness factor... I saw a buck do a solid 100yds. after a texas bullseye shot with a 300 Weatherby Mag that totally liquified his internal organs. Have yet to have a deer go that far after sticking him with a broadhead(knock on wood!).

Jim

Re: Cast bullets and shot placement? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8494 04/19/2005 9:32 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Gerry is right about hunter density here in PA...in certain area they can be quite thick! So shot placement and a gun with an impressive "bang-flop" factor is a MUST. A lot of fellas hunt deer with smaller Contender chamberings such as 6T/CU, 6.5T/CU, etc....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with those. But for me on the first day of PA deer season I always have at least a .30 caliber Contender and a big bore (stoked with HEAVY and HARD cast bullets) revolver on me. My typical first day gun is the .338JDJ#2 (w/ 180gr NBT's or 225gr Hornady). But I have taken several deer with the heavy and hard cast bullets using a boiler room shot and yet to have one go more than 40 yards.

He is also right about the awareness factor...if that deer is juiced he's gonna run no matter what you shoot him with. I've shot a lot of deer with a bow...even shot several deer twice because after the shot they merely took a few leaps then went back to feeding...a quiet bow and a calm deer made it completely unaware! The first shots were good but if a second shot if offered then I'll certainly take it!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod