Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OT...which handgun for CCW #8539 04/22/2005 11:31 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I've been looking into getting a handgun for CCW lately...those 14" Contenders get a little bulky under a coat! The only double action handgun I own is a 4" S&W 686 which is not really my favorite flavor.

I'm not much a semi-auto fella either but think that may be the best way to go for CCW. I've been looking into the 1911 style handguns but the fullsize .45ACP's can be a little large for carry but would work as a car gun. Stush and I attended a gun show month or so ago and he recommended the Springfield Armory handguns and the prices seemed reasonable. I was also looking at their XD guns with BullelkHunter in Cabela's the other day...they just don't have the classy look of a 1911 which appeal to me.

But in a CCW gun I guess ease of carry and function are more important than "appeal"....or is there one out there you guys think has both??

I'd also prefer a .45ACP for the additional power and I've got tons-o-brass from a friend. Is there a better reason to choose a 9mm or a 40S&W?? I can always buy more brass if I went with another cartridge. I'd probably only end up shooting a clip or two per week from it to stay sharp once I get a few hundred rounds through it to get comfortable.

Suggestions??

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8540 04/22/2005 12:12 PM
reakin Offline
I'm not a big fan of 1911's, especially for CCW. I really don't like the idea of having to carry "cocked and locked", although I know many people do it all the time. Just isn't for me. Plus the fact that a FTF or FTE could cause a jam, then you are in a panick mode trying to rack the slide and get things working right again. No thanks.

I'm a big time Ruger fanatic, so I have a preference for their stuff. I like a SP101 in .357, preferrably the DAO version, for CCW. Its small enough to conceal very easily, plus its easy to put into action. Just point and shoot. In the unlikely event of a mis-fire, just pull the trigger again. Don't let people use the old "but there's only 5 rounds" BS on you. The odds of using the weapon in a self-defense situation are pretty low, plus if you can't get the job done in 5 rounds, you shouldn't be carrying. Its highly unlikely that you will be getting into a fire fight with multiple bad guys where you need a whole box of ammo!

If I absolutely felt I HAD to have a semi-auto, I'd either look for an old P93 (discontinued, but a great pistol) or go with a P95. Both are 9mm. Plenty of stopping power (I choose to ignore Jeff Cooper's opinions), plus ammo is extremely cheap, which allows for frequent practice. I know you roll your own, so that may not be a factor for you.

Of course, these are all just my opinions. Take them worth a grain of salt. reakin

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8541 04/22/2005 1:30 PM
drdoolittle_1 Offline
Dan,
Haved you ever tried Para's LDA trigger yet? Just something different to try. I purchased this when I THOUGHT CCW was gonna pass in Wis.
Cheers,
Dave

The Gun Garage "We fix ugly guns"
reakin...... [Re: reakin] #8542 04/22/2005 3:22 PM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for......I may have to reconsider the 686 that's in the safe.

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8543 04/22/2005 3:52 PM
cyberhick Offline
journeyman
journeyman
The best suggestion is for you to go out and shoot different handguns and see what you're most comfortable with, can shoot most accuratly, and what you can conceal. I have 2 guns for ccw, a Kahr E9 and a Colt Python. I usually just carry the E9 alone. Its relativly small, comfortable in my hand, i'm deadly accurate with it, and its cheap to shoot. Its a 9mm, but modern bullet technology is great, so i dont feel undergunned. Now is it the best choice for you, maybe. Go shoot a bunch of different handguns in either 9mm, 40S&W , and .45ACP (I like to abide by the wal-mart theory) . When you decide, get it, practice, and dont scrimp on carry ammo or holsters, because you get what you pay for.

I would also suggest going to http://www.stoppingpower.net and checking out that forum. There is a ton of information about different weapons, ammo, equipment, tactics, training, etc.

Last edited by cyberhick; 04/22/2005 3:54 PM.
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8544 04/22/2005 4:14 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dan,

I am not a semi-auto fan for CCW. I do occasionally carry a small Makarov when concealability is a big issue, but my personal preference is for a small frame double action revolver. Of these, I really like the Ruger SP series.

Stush
Re: reakin...... [Re: Dan B.] #8545 04/22/2005 4:59 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Danny Boy, Oh Great one, if you want to go the 'wheeler' and you think the 686 is too big, look at a S&W M60(?) 5-shot 357. It is small and can be very powerful. CCW is usually considered a short range proposition anyway. I like the 9mm and the 40 but I also have two .45's that I carry alot. Both my Walther and my Beretta give me 13 and 15rd fire-power if that's what you want. When you get to a 45 Hi-cap, weight again becomes the issue. .45's are considered one-shot stoppers, but a lot of compacts need a lot of fine tuning for the reliability which is of most importance. I work all of my guns anyway so that is not a problem. Para's LDA is very nice, as is Kimber's Custom compact but the price makes you open your eyes. Now for the meat-I have a friend who actually carries a Ruger 'Birds beak' shorty Sheriff's model (but I did not shoot the deputy!) . His theory is that most (99%) self-defens shootouts don't get inot a full-blown shoot out. Over in a round or 2. (gutsy or what?) Factory 9mm can be purchased for $6/box and this allows for a lot of practice with out spending alot of time reloading-45's make your heart throb a lot ...I really don't think in a real life situation, a wannabe mugger can tell the difference between a 180-200 grain .40cal and a 185-200 grain .45? PS-I've also been know to carry my 2 1/2" M629 round butt Trail Boss loaded with mid-range 44 specials with 245LSWC just in case I want to double lung and not have to trail him too far!!! G-

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8546 04/22/2005 7:00 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey, I had a little while to think this over. I have reconsidered. I think that you should get in touch with Tony and try his BFR for CCW. I doubt that you would ever have to fire a shot. Any BG that you pulled that on would be running for cover before you ever got the first shot off!

Stush
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Stush] #8547 04/22/2005 7:21 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i'm not really into concealed carry........but my brother-in-law has one of those titanium thingamagigs. S&W maybe ....i forget. if that was it's only intended purpose........sure would be light packin.
might keep someone from wonderin why you're constantly pullin yer britches up. LOL

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8548 04/22/2005 7:54 PM
TonyV Offline
Hey Dan,
It don't get no better than my Glock 40 S&W, big clips ,never jamms ,UGLY AS SIN .
Tony V

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8549 04/22/2005 8:10 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I've got to agree a Glock is tough to beat. Summertime presents a problem though. I would like to have a look at the new Rorhbaugh (SP?) though. It's a 9mm and has received some pretty good reviews. It appears very small.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8550 04/22/2005 10:06 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
dan, cyberhick was right. try as many guns as you can and go with what fits you..hand,concealment style, etc. just make sure it is dirt reliable. accuracy is a distant second in importance if it hits a paper plate at 3 feet...it's perfect. and after you decide, PRACTICE like crazy( as if we need a reason to shoot more ). good luck!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8551 04/23/2005 2:01 AM
coltfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Dan,
My first choice for concealed carry is the S&W 696 (5 shot .44 special) even though it's no longer in production, you can still find em. My next choice would be a 624 (Lew Horton 3") also .44 special. Still another possibility would be the 329PD (.44 mag) but could be loaded with .44 specials.

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: reakin] #8552 04/24/2005 2:07 AM
dirtydawg Offline
stranger
stranger
Dan, When Nevada legalized Concealed Carry I got my license and bought a compact Colt 1911 and dumped a ton of money into it.If it ever ended up in evidence I doubt if I would ever see it again so when I saw a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special for under $200 I jumped on it. just something to think about.

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8553 04/24/2005 3:53 PM
rugernut Offline
Dan, I'm a FFL dealer and have tried just about all the differant guns that would qualify as CCW weapons. The one thing I have found out is comfort is the name of the game. If it dosen't feel good on you, you will not have it with you when it's needed.

So though trial and error, it's width that matters more than barrel and grip length. That said, revolvers are harder to carry than autos in a inside the pants holster. The Ruger SP 101 is one of the best IMO of the revolvers ( and I have carried them) if you are comfy with it, although it is heavier than some of the TI guns. The gun I think is the best for CCW (although I love the 1911's and do carry them at times) is any of the Kahrs. I'm not a big fan of the 9mm but I now carry a Kahr P9 with +p+ loads and love it. It is so thin and light @ 17 oz., that you don't know it's there holstered inside your pants. It has a better trigger system than the Glock and as no external safties to worry about. They are dead reliable and super accurate for a gun this size. And quess what? They're bringing out a .45 acp. model, basically the same size and weight as the 9mm.

Check them out before you buy. web page

Good luck

Rugernut

Last edited by rugernut; 04/24/2005 3:55 PM.
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: rugernut] #8554 04/24/2005 5:05 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If I have to choose just one gun it would be a Colt 1911 Officers model in, what else, .45 ACP. That is in my opinion the ultimate CCW. If I had to choose a revolver it would be S&W 629 with a 3" barrel, 44 Mag. I know there are alot smaller and easier to carry (hide) weapons, but I like the extra punch it if is ever needed.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8555 04/24/2005 7:14 PM
one eye joe Offline
stranger
stranger
Just my $.02 worth. I am pretty thin and carried a Kimber Pro Carry .45. No problem, but if I was doing it again, I would look at the Glock model 36 (single stack 45) or the Kahr models. The Glock is ugly and doesn't index quite right for me, but they just keep working. The Kahr is also reliable. Don't care for the trigger on either, but guess I could learn to like them. If Para Ord could get the LDA trigger worked out, I would buy one in a minute. For a wheelgun, the Charter .44 might be a good choice. Not to expensive, so if you decide to go semi, your not out too much.

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Gary] #8556 04/24/2005 7:35 PM
Gman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dan, I don't know if they are in production yet but Springfield Armory is producing a downsized 1911 in .45 gap. Its holds six rounds, 6.57 inches overall with a 3 inch barrel, is 4 7/8 inches high and weighs 23 ounces. There is a review on it in the may Guns and Ammo.

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8557 04/25/2005 12:51 AM
XP_Nut Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dan,

My CCW is a Springfield Armory XD-40 service-model 4" I love it shot over 1500 rounds not one mis-feed or glitch. Accurate and easy to carry a bit ugly but, it grows on you. I would like to get the sub-compact 3" but, the 4" model fits my big hands better. It is just as small as the Glock-23 and I like it way better than any of my Glocks. I think in time Springfield will make a .45GAP in the XD.

One Good Shot...Is All I Need.
Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8558 04/25/2005 1:49 AM
Gascheck Offline
Dan,
I have 2 guns that I go to for CC work. For warm weather and light clothing I use a Taurus 85 5 shot double action stainless steel. It's weight is 25.5 oz loaded with 125g Hornady xtps and holster. Plenty accurate for 25yard or less encounters. Its easy to slip in a coat pocket or cargo shorts without leaving a signature. If I'm looking for a little more horsepower. I like the Ruger P97. This one has a polymer frame and stainless slide 45 acp. It is will feed and function with any shape bullet and is as accurate as my Colt Gold Cup. The model I have is the decocker so in a stress situation you can just pull the trigger double action style and get the gun in action. But if your looking for a lighter trigger you can always cock the hammer and shoot with the lighter trigger pull. Best part is Both weapons can be put into action with a trigger squeeze so when you switch back and forth there is no confussion with what you pull out of your pocket. Both can be had new for under $300 new if you watch. Thats both for the price you would pay for a glock or tricked out 1911. Just my thoughts. Good Luck.

Re: OT...which handgun for CCW [Re: Dan B.] #8559 04/27/2005 12:29 AM
KyleL Offline
I find that most of the shooting/ballistic cliches hold true, IE, "there are no free rides", "you can't have your cake and eat it, too", but I think the small Kimber ccw pistol is an exception. Two of my buddies have the custom carry comp (or something like that) and they are pretty impressive. They are small for a 1911, but are incredibly accurate. I know accuracy is not priority #1, but as a handgun hunter I know it's somewhere in the back of your mind. The Kimber is about the best compromise I've found between weight, comfort,power, and shootability. When I bought my CCW gun I went with the SIG 229 in .357 and proved out another carry cliche: a pocket pistol in the pocket is better than a .45 at home. The 229 looked kind of small, but I ended up getting a PP/k later. The 229 is awesome, just a little big. My very amatuer .02 - kl

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod