Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight #126021 01/11/2013 6:16 PM
FAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Help me out please. I have a Freedom Arms 83 .475 cal. and want to mount a red dot sight. I purchased a Burris Fastfire lll, but am thinking of sending it back only because I cannot find a compatiable mount. Please don't tell me to look here and there because I have contacted everyone. Sorry frustrated. So I was thinking of sending back the Burris and getting either a J Point or a Delta Point as Freedom Arms does produce a mount for these.
Reviews on the Delta are 50/50 with star burst effect a common problem.
Which sight do you recommend and why?
Your experience and recommendation with any of these would be helpful.
THANK YOU

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: FAH] #126025 01/11/2013 6:54 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't think you can go wrong with those choices. I have a couple DeltaPoints and an Aimpoint. My preference is the DeltaPoint, as I find using the tip of the Delta provides me with a very fine aiming point for a very precise shot. My Aimpoint has a small dot, which I personally don't care for. The DeltaPoint is fairly large (7.5 MOA) but I find that to be a good thing coming on target.

You will find that you'll have to practice in order to bring the revolver up and have the Delta/Dot in your heads-up display - just the nature of the beast.

On a 1911, you can have the slide milled for the DeltaPoint and when bringing the pistol up from leather you'll find the Delta will be right where your rear sight use to be and it's a hands down no-brainer for a long range very accurate 1st shot.

Here's what it looks like on a 1911 with a back-up sight mounted in front of the DeltaPoint and regulated for 50 yards.

[img]http://[/img]IMG] [img]http://[/img]
The camera couldn't capture the Delta - or at least I couldn't - but that "dot" on top of the front sight is the Delta.

I've never had a "flaring" problem with either the Leupold or Aimpoint and I personally know a couple other DeltaPoint users and they have no "flaring" problems either. I think eyesight might influence the flaring - just a guess on my part.

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: 7P's] #126027 01/11/2013 7:20 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I have a J Point on a FA M97. It works fine for me.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: wtroper] #126046 01/11/2013 10:04 PM
MIHunter Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have the JPoint on my Ruger 480 and really like it. I used that gun to take a bear and 2 deer in 2012 without any problems.

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: MIHunter] #126054 01/12/2013 12:02 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I have a Trijicon RMR on one of mine and it's a very clean dot adjustable for intensity. I did find that the FA base required a little shimming to get the dot on target.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Gary] #126064 01/12/2013 1:44 AM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
FAH,

That is a tough one. Each has it's better aspects, at least between the Delta and Jpoint. I have one DP, and several Jp's, no Trijicon. I like the field of view on the DP, and the screen seems to resisit scratches better. The dots on my JP's (3) are all better than my DP. Much of the problem (starburst) can be attributed to the light bias of the sight. On all of these sights that have auto-brightness, the maker has to make a decision as to how to deal with lighting conditions. The JP just seems to adjust better on the lowest setting, and the DP is slow to adjust down in changing light.

The JP has much better screw adjustments. The small wrench on the DP (t-5 I think) is a pain. If you do go with the DP, I would suggest buying a small torx screwdriver to match the set screw and adjustment screw. It takes no effort to bugger the screws.

I am currently working with a C-More STS, and actually like it better than the DP or JP. It has real glass, altough it does have a slight blue hue. You do not have to dismount the sight to change the battery, and it has a light sensor in the front that makes it a snap to place a piece of tape over to adjust the dot. You can use cellophane tape, or various colors to easily adjust the dot. It has three settings, off, auto and full so as far as dot brightness, it is nice. I have just not run it enough on a hard kicker to say thumbs up. My DP and JP have been fine on my 83 in 454. The C-More does use a different mount base than the DP and JP, but you can buy the adaptor shim.

And while I do like the nice FA direct mount, if you go with a pic. rail, you can test them all out ;^) Gregg Richter has a nice review here on the DP, by the way. And we had a few recent threads discussing some of this. One member (who I gave bad info to) is working with the same situation that you are looking at, and I sent him a couple of adaptors. You will see he and I discussing this at the end of one of the threads. Might want to drop him a PM, if he does not drop in here.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Gary] #126223 01/15/2013 8:10 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Gary
I have a Trijicon RMR on one of mine and it's a very clean dot adjustable for intensity. I did find that the FA base required a little shimming to get the dot on target.

Gary, I just received a Trijicon RMR that I had ordered to mount on my FA 83 .45 Colt. The first thing that I noticed is that it wouldn't fit on the FA Jpoint/Deltapoint mount. So...I called Freedom Arms and a Trijicon RMR mount is on its way to me. Hopefully my installation won't require it but I was wondering how did you go about shimming your RMR base?

Thanks in advance,

Darrell

Last edited by Darrell H; 01/15/2013 8:11 PM.
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Darrell H] #126622 01/21/2013 1:32 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
I am happy to report that the Freedom Arms mount for the Trijicon RMR did not require shimming. I got the gun sighted in this weekend.
\:\)

A feature of the Trijicon RMR that I really like is the fact that it doesn't require special tools for adjusting windage and elevation (i used a dime for adjustment) and it has positive "clicks" and no set screws.

Now if it will remain sighted in without poi shifts over time I will be happy. Time will tell...

Last edited by Darrell H; 01/26/2013 4:03 PM.
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Darrell H] #126829 01/24/2013 7:27 AM
claimbuster Offline
Just put a Trijicon RMR 06 on my M83 44M using FA's mount. Everything fit up beautifully and it works great. May put one on my 454 too.

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: claimbuster] #128063 02/12/2013 3:10 PM
Oscar Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I am considering a Trijicon RMR for my FA 83 but I've never used an optic on a handgun. What dot size do you like for deer hunting? Is it best to have a dot that is adjustable for brightness?

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Oscar] #128078 02/12/2013 4:31 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Definitely yes on the adj. brightness. I have an RMR 06 on one of my guns and it works very well as long as stuff is fairly close. At 100 yards in low light there are issues with precise shot placement because it's hard to see the animal without some magnification. The smaller the dot the better, you don't want it to cover the animal entirely.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Darrell H] #128079 02/12/2013 4:34 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Darrell H
I am happy to report that the Freedom Arms mount for the Trijicon RMR did not require shimming. I got the gun sighted in this weekend.
\:\)

You've got the 6" barrel and I'm betting that the extra length is enough to not require a shim. I think Gregg had to shim his short gun too.

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Gary] #128152 02/13/2013 12:55 AM
Oscar Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks Gary, A local shop has an adjustable brightness RMR with 3.25 MOA dot. Does that sound about right?

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: Oscar] #128271 02/14/2013 3:32 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Yep - mine is not the dual illuminated version, it takes a battery but that's not really a concern for me. The thing I like about the Trijion is that it's a very clean dot. I have a slight astigmatism and the dots on some scopes is just a big fuzzy red thing. Not so with the Trijicon unless it's brightness is really hot.

Re: J Point, Delta Point Or Trijicon Red Dot sight [Re: FAH] #140286 01/13/2014 9:11 PM
RichardCocan Offline
stranger
stranger
Gentlemen, I have been reading your posts on red dot sights with great interest. My older eyes just don't pick up my iron sights in low light like they use to. So I'm look'n to mount a red dot sight on my FA M83 454. I'm old-school so I've never used a red dot before. What are your opinions between Trijicon RMR and Aimpoint Micro H-1. I see from several post that FA makes an RMR mount, does anyone know if they make one for Aimpoint. I'm also a little confused about the dot size. I hunt mostly pig with a typical shot of 25-40yrs (occasionally out to 75yrd with a very good rest and a pig standing absolutely still). What's a good dot size?

Last edited by RichardCocan; 01/13/2014 9:13 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod