Next Thread
Print Thread
North Carolina Hog Hunt #128247 02/14/2013 12:11 AM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
http://tmhuntingproperties.com/Home_Page.html
Anyone ever hunted here ? Kinda looks like a fish in a barrel type operation.
Also, could any of you NC guys recommend a good area for public land hog hunting. I'm thinking coastal or central. Johnston Co pops up alot in my readings. Also best time of year.
Tryin to plan a DIY hunt for maybe next year sometime.

Jeff

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: archr610] #128256 02/14/2013 1:55 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
If fish in a barrel means behind a fence, this is not a fenced operation. In NC you can't have WT deer behind a fence & hunt them. The pics on this web page have boar & deer together. It can't be fenced. Johnston Co pops up a lot because when hurricane floyd came through about 14 years ago several hog houses flooded and the livestock got loose. I live 2 counties away and these hogs have yet to make it into my county. It's been about 14 years ago. It is not fenced, but they must stock boar periodically to keep the numbers up. I say go and kill em

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Franchise] #128260 02/14/2013 2:17 AM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks Franchise,
By fish in a barrel I meant it looks from the pics like the place is over run with hogs to the point of "climb up in a stand and pick a target". The price is certainly right but I'd like it to be a little more of a challenge then it looks like from the pics.
I'll have to go back to the website. I didn't notice if they offer spot and stalk.

Jeff

Support bacteria:
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: archr610] #128261 02/14/2013 2:27 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I hunt in Johnston County about a half a dozen times a year and while there are lots of hogs, because it's open range, it's hit or miss. That said, its a rare weekend that I don't get one or more when I am hunting there. Get's downright fun in the swamps. If an open range operation is what you would like, I would recommend Hog Heaven Outfitters. I'm not familiar with this other outfit

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Franchise] #128262 02/14/2013 2:31 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Jeff,

Look for public lands near the river systems - combine that with nearby agriculture, and poof...hogs.

I hunt Brunswick Co NC and the hog population is strong, especially in areas around the Waccamaw River and surrounding farmlands, despite my best attempts to control it
;\)

There are gamelands adjoining our property that would allow some DIY hunting opportunities, although caliber restrictions on public ground may make handgunning hogs a "deer-season" activity. However, you may have some latitude with the stick and string. Not sure without looking further into the regs. Likewise, just to the south of me in SC, there are some good WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas) that have dedicated spring hog hunts, but the SC non-resident licenses along with WMA stamps can be pricey. In addition, some "outfitters" have drawn a bunch of attention to these areas such that the crowds are thick and hogs scarce during the scheduled hunts.

Originally Posted By: Franchise
It is not fenced, but they must stock boar periodically to keep the numbers up.

David - doubtful on the stocking...NC Wildlife Res Comm has a several thousand dollar/offense fine for transporting/transplanting feral hogs. They couldn't sell enough hunts to counteract a charge of stocking hogs. Standard hunting tactics have a moderate effect on population control - they learn quickly and will adapt and move with pressure. Best results come with hunting, trapping, and dogging - but you can't get them all. Doesn't keep me from trying though
\:\)

Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #128264 02/14/2013 2:39 AM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks Whit,
I've looked at HHO's website awhile back and thought their prices were a bit more than I could handle. Seems like some of the guys here have the resources to afford some of these big money hunts on a regular basis. I'm not in that group. Not complaining, just a fact.
BTW, I tried to access HHO's site just the other day and got some BS advertising site.
Also, sorry if I sound skeptical. Just the way I am.

Jeff

Support bacteria:
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: archr610] #128268 02/14/2013 3:04 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Jeff, understood. Keep in mind it's a three day hunt, and not a one day affair which includes meals and boarding. Don't know what happened with the website if you got something else. I can assure you there is nothing there to be skeptical about. It's a trustworthy outfit that goes out of its way to satisfy the customer.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #128508 02/17/2013 4:45 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You would be spot on SC hunter. For DIY near Bladen and Brunswick would be a good choice. SC has the most public access areas that contain hogs.

There were some preserves(fence operations) in the Johnston county area that had there fences destroyed due to weather that released large numbers of wild pigs also.

And the transplanting like SC said has been stomped out. Get caught hauling a wild pig or wild looking pig with out sellers information, destination, and proper papers. Fines are steep.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: cottonstalk] #128557 02/18/2013 12:25 AM
WiseGuy Offline
addict
addict
Ive also went on the Hog Heaven Outfitters website and its posting links to other websites.

Bigger ain't always better....according to who???
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: WiseGuy] #128715 02/20/2013 12:08 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
I will also vouch for Hog Heaven Outfitters. Milt and his crew made sure all of the clients had a great time.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Pasco] #128835 02/21/2013 3:53 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Cottonstalk, don't know if I reported this here last year or not. I was driving on 70 on my way to Raleigh. I was between Goldsboro and Clayton and on the north side of the road I saw a large Russian looking sow with 6 piglets running along the highway. I slowed and watched her run into a swamp. Would have been fun to hunt her.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: WiseGuy] #129303 02/28/2013 2:35 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: WiseGuy
Ive also went on the Hog Heaven Outfitters website and its posting links to other websites.

I looked into this and there was a technical problem and the site has been down for a while. It will be up in a wekk or so.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #129366 03/01/2013 9:11 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
cfish they are for sure spreading like wild fire. Seem to be following the rivers, just like the weather around here. Lots of sign just south of Goldsboro. Just a little more time.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: North Carolina Hog Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #129369 03/01/2013 11:50 PM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: WiseGuy

I looked into this and there was a technical problem and the site has been down for a while. It will be up in a wekk or so.

Thanks Whit

Support bacteria:

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod