Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cast question #128427 02/16/2013 1:19 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I've never done anything with cast bullets. I've always used jacketed, and I'll be completely honest-- its because I don't want lead to damage the barrel of my guns. No, I've never actually seen a damaged barrel from lead, but I've HEARD it can happen, and that's enough to keep me away. I keep the outside of my guns spotless, and I try to do the same with the inside as much as possible. I have learned from you guys that a couple "fouling shots" is a good idea, but when my guns sit for longer than a couple days, I clean them. I enjoy cleaning them, I take great pride in my guns, and I guess by cleaning them, in my own little mind, I'm preserving them and helping them to hopefully "last forever". Hmmmm... since I put it that way, makes me wonder if I have a certifiable mental issue! :-)

That being said, how much do cast bullets really effect the barrel, and what can be done to clean it effectively and completely?

I ask this cause I'm getting the 500JRH built, and am thinking that my bullet selection is going to be VERY limited in jacketed, so I might as well start looking at cast.

Since I'm laying all my cards on the table here, like I said, I have never used cast, but the idea of making your own bullets does interest me. I would just like to know if it will damage a custom gun, or any gun for that matter.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Cast question [Re: Raptortrapper] #128429 02/16/2013 1:36 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I see no way that hard cast bullets will ruin a barrel. Jacket material as well as cast bullet residue can be clean out of a barrel. A proper hard cast bullet with a proper lube will unduly lead a barrel unless the barrel is rough, which is unlikely in this day and age of barrel making technology, but is possible. Firing a few lapping compound bullets will cure this condition

Re: Cast question [Re: jwp475] #128438 02/16/2013 3:39 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
It's not as bad as it used to be with jacketed bullets, as we now have lots of chemicals to get jacket material out of barrels, but you might impose more damage to a barrel cleaning copper than lead. With my 454, and proper lead bullets, I can literally run a copper brush wrapped in chore boy for a couple of passes and have all of the lead and fouling out.

I am not sure what damage from lead you have read about, but in terms of actually wearing out the rifling in a pistol barrel, folks who shot only lead will have their barrels last several magnitudes of number of rounds over jacketed shooters before a pistol barrel will be worn out. Folks who shoot 45acp, for example, in competition report insane number of rounds fired before their barrels show signs of loss of accuracy, with lead bullets. It is usually wear on the rest of the gun that requires gunsmithing, long before barrel replacement.

So you will have to be more specific about what damage you have heard about, but as long as your lead bullets are not creating a leaded mess in the barrel that requires insane amounts of mechanical removal, lead is easier on barrels than jacketed bullets.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Cast question [Re: jwp475] #128440 02/16/2013 3:42 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
Lead won't wear on your barrel like copper will either. Proper bullet fit will help keep the leading down along with a good lube for what you are trying to do.

Don't be afraid of the naked boolits.

Re: Cast question [Re: jwp475] #128441 02/16/2013 3:48 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Every bullet leaves residue in a barrel,with that being said lead bullets have been used in firearms since there invention and are still being used today,that should tell you something. Most barrels are ruined with cleaning rods and throat erosion from hot gasses,not what bullet went down them. Leading if present is easily dealt with, and you are troubling yourself over nothing.The hardest hardcast bullet has less friction and is easier on barrels than a copper jacket. JMHO

junebug
Re: Cast question [Re: junebug] #128483 02/17/2013 1:33 AM
FAH Offline
I shoot hardcast bullets with gas checks in my .45 colt, .44mags, .454, and .475 and do not have any problems. They are accurate, penetrate game exceptionally well and clean up is not a problem.
I have had very good results with bullets from http://www.beartoothbullets.com and recommend them highly, another source is http://www.montanabulletworks.com

For complete loaded bullets I recommend Buffalo Bore.
You can get the same velocities and lower pressures with hard cast bullets than with jacketed.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Cast question [Re: FAH] #128486 02/17/2013 1:50 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
complete loaded bullets

Also know as "cartridges" or "ammunition"
;\)
;\)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Cast question [Re: s4s4u] #128489 02/17/2013 3:53 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Okay, thanks guys. I'm gonna start looking in to some casting stuff then. I like the idea of casting your own bullets. Kinda like I do when I'm fly fishing and using my own hand tied flies. Nothing beats that!!!

Where do I look for info on getting started in casting bullets? Wait, let me re-phrase that...

What should I get ahold of to get me started in casting bullets?

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Cast question [Re: Raptortrapper] #128492 02/17/2013 6:02 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Lee had a start up kit for casting and I'm guessing they still do. I was going to get it a while back but I've got too many irons in the fire as is.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Cast question [Re: wapitirod] #128494 02/17/2013 7:52 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
To answer your question about the lead. I have had to replace a barrel on a bfr and one on a fa bc of cheap lead bullets. I sent it in to john at fa and he had told me hes seen the pittig or gouging i sent it in for when being shot with cast that was not made from a virgin allow. Most commonly from newer wheel weights. Not sure why and not sure what all this means but i thought i found a good price on ammo and bought a few boxes and every gun ive run with those bullets had the same problem with the barrel. Fa did not think it was something that typically affected accuracy but it was a imperfection i could not live without. Simce that time ive found that ive had nonprobs with. Cast performance and beartooths. Just stick with a premium hardcast bullet and you wont have any problems

Re: Cast question [Re: tradmark] #128496 02/17/2013 1:40 PM
sc1911cwp Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
"Cast Boolits" Forum has everything you could possibly ask about as far as getting started. You will enjoy the advice given and posted by others that have been doing this for years.

Re: Cast question [Re: sc1911cwp] #128497 02/17/2013 2:55 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Oh no, another member who uses the spelling of boolits. You guys crack me up with your "secret" handshake ;^) It's a good forum for info on casting and shooting, by the way. And if you can find someone near you who casts and is willing to help, that like reloading help can be worth a lot.

Craig

Re: Cast question [Re: Bearbait in NM] #128503 02/17/2013 4:15 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM
Oh no, another member who uses the spelling of boolits. You guys crack me up with your "secret" handshake ;^) It's a good forum for info on casting and shooting, by the way. And if you can find someone near you who casts and is willing to help, that like reloading help can be worth a lot.

Craig

Actually, there were at one time two 'cast' forums, the first one was Cast Bullets and the newer one Cast Boolits. Like you, I don't reaaly see the need to carry the incorrect spelling over in posting as some do, but the 'boolit' forum does contain some great info and some good 'group buys' on molds.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Cast question [Re: Russell] #128505 02/17/2013 4:26 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Hey Russell,

That always struck me as odd, especially when these folks would carry on this way in other forums. Took me quite a while to figure out it was "code" ;^) While I do not cast myself, I have picked up lot information on shooting cast from those places.

Oh Raptor, Beartooth Bullets has a good forum for picking up info. They obviously key to shooting BTB, but still a useful source of information. And if you click on the writings of Marshall Stanton, BTB owner, he some very interesting reads there.

Craig

Re: Cast question [Re: Bearbait in NM] #128524 02/17/2013 9:32 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Thanks Craig. I did a little reading on cast bullets and the theories behind them. It makes sense, and I like the info I'm getting on lead not damaging a barrel. Think I will be giving it a go. For now, I think I will stay with the premium bullets that are already made, and possibly look into making my own after I get a little more familiar with things.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Re: Cast question [Re: Raptortrapper] #128592 02/18/2013 4:54 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Raptor,

Seeing that you are still trying to get your feet wet with shooting lead, makes sense to hold off on actually pouring your own. I almost pulled the trigger on casting, but decided there were just too many decent choices for commercial cast, from plinking bullets to full premium, it just made no sense for me. It does look fun and rewarding, and maybe you will get fully hooked. I try not to get too wrapped around the cast v. jacket axle, I shoot them all, including plated ;^)

Craig

Re: Cast question [Re: tradmark] #128637 02/19/2013 1:46 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
raptor..,

Download the free book by Glen Fryxell at: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Doc

Re: Cast question [Re: doc with a glock] #129080 02/24/2013 5:32 PM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll assume you use bore guides religously when cleaning your firearms. Over cleaning(hard rods rubbing the bore at either the muzzle or breech) has probably done more harm in military issue firearms than any ammunition. Have you ever seen a .22 riimfire pistol with a shotout barrel? Neither have I but, is a good exampe of using only lead for bullets. On the other hand a build up of copper can cause accuracy problems but, nothing 7.62 or other chemicals can't handle.
I'm actually of the opinion lead bullets swag the bore with each passing through?
I think all gun lovers have your afflixtion with clean guns.
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; 02/24/2013 5:35 PM.

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: Cast question [Re: S.B.] #129084 02/24/2013 7:12 PM
sc1911cwp Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
LOL.
\:D
Good thing I didn't say 45 Long Colt. As a member of the llumitatti, Skulls, Masons, and Order Of The Arrow, I do not use the 'Secret Handshake"

Re: Cast question [Re: sc1911cwp] #129095 02/25/2013 12:58 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Casting your own is a great hobby, that goes with handloading.A warning to you, it also can be very addictive, as long as you have a good supply of lead, pick up a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook.

Re: Cast question [Re: tradmark] #129119 02/25/2013 6:05 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
when I've shot cast through my guns I've not had any problems with extreme leading and plus shoot a couple jacketed rounds when your done with the cast bullets and for the most part the jacketed will take the lead out if the leading is present-john

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Cast question [Re: johnwilliams] #129147 02/26/2013 12:10 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I think I'm just gonna shoot what is most accurate, clean the gun, and then replace the barrel when its needed. I'd like to think I will be shooting enough to wear out a barrel, but the honest truth is, I probably wont.

Re: Cast question [Re: racksmasher] #129462 03/04/2013 11:26 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
the los angeles silhouette club web sight has some good and interesting info on it also. i would suggest that ya take a look

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Cast question [Re: bluecow] #129482 03/05/2013 3:30 AM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand

Re: Cast question [Re: rlb] #129544 03/06/2013 2:20 AM
DeerDad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll say this about cast bullets. I shot 5 soaked phone books this weekend that was 16 inches thick. The hornady 240 grain bullets penetrated about 13 inches. The cast bullets blew right through 16 inches of paper. Wow. That's penetration. The bullet channel through the books was impressive as well. I was using 260 grain cast performance bullets.

Re: Cast question [Re: DeerDad] #129547 03/06/2013 2:49 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
5 soaked phone books this weekend that was 16 inches thick

Holy! If I stacked 5 of our phone books together it might make an inch and a half.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 45 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod