Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SCI Handgun Record Book #128495 02/17/2013 10:56 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I have mentioned this several times but just recently obtained some new information, so I wanted to update it plus give an overview of the big picture.

Safari Club International (SCI) is the worldwide hunting organization that continually fights to preserve hunting as well as our right to hunt; not just in Africa and Europe, but also right here in the good ol' USA.

In a nutshell, a year or so ago SCI began a new and for the first time ever major endeavor to promote Alternative Methods of Hunting. What this boils down to is SCI wants to educate the public somewhat that other weapons besides RIFLES are used for hunting; these to include crossbow, archery, black powder, and handgun hunting.

The major part of this campaign is to culminate this effort by gaining enough entries from hunters using each specific weapon to publish a record book devoted entirely to that weapon; something that has not ever been done before.

Let me repeat that, fellow handgun hunters. Never before has there been a record book published specifically for handgun hunters (I won't address the other alternative weapons any more, I will stick to our sport
Oh, sure, it has been talked about here and there; at one time even JD Jones mentioned a record book, but it has never been accomplished.

And to have this record book published by Safari Club International, the elite hunting organization of the world, is insurmountable and way understated. Let's just say that we have a bull by the horns and WE CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE IT!

\:D

ok, HERE IS HOW IT ALL GOES DOWN.

You join SCI. And for your new membership, you get ONE FREE RECORD BOOK ENTRY. If you join for 3 years, not only do you get a break on the membership dues but you get 3 free record book entries.

Next, you find a local Official SCI Scorer (a list of scorers as well as other info is available on the website)

http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/recordbook

and schedule your trophies to be measured (there is no charge for this, the Scorers do this voluntarily)

THEN, you get hold of me and tell me how many animals that you are going to register in the book, and as your sponsor, I send you a 50% off coupon for each one! Instead of paying $35 it will only cost you $17.50 per each entry
\:\)

And last but CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, your name will appear in the first ever Handgun Hunting Record Book, under each species that you qualify for; a book that will become a permanent part of our hunting heritage; a book that your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren (you get the picture
;\)
will be able to look you up in as a Handgun Hunter that is a permanent part of handgun hunting history! And for sure, you will have proven that you have done your part in helping to promote Handgun Hunting in your own way!

And of course, you will be able to buy as many copies of this one of a kind book as you wish! What a great gift to give your kids and grandkids!

In some previous posts, I have shown the Richter Family success story for the 2012 season. We did extremely well: Joe my son and his wife Barbara each killed a nice mule deer buck, and I killed a nice muley buck as well as a trophy bull elk.

Today I had an official scorer come over and we did some measuring! Oh and by the way you can go back and measure any of your previous animals; I have a buck from 2001 that scored well enough to qualify!

There is a time limit on the entry period dates, so please act on this NOW before you get busy with next hunting season!

Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: Gregg Richter] #128535 02/17/2013 10:24 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Well stated Gregg. There are a lot of excuses I have used over the years not to enter any of my game taken with a handgun. Quite frankly, I don't need/desire to stroke my ego with my name in the record book. But when I learned the net proceeds of the record book go directily to fund conservation projects, I tossed my excuses aside. As you know, hunters are the true conservationist and care-takers of wildlife resources. This is just another small way to benefit wildlife conservation.

A seperate record book specifically for handgun-taken game would be a positive influence for handguns/handgun hunters. It's also a nice way to document your hunting heritage for your friends and family to remember years from now.

Thanks Gregg!

Best of Hunting,
Mark Hampton

Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: Mark Hampton] #128642 02/19/2013 2:12 AM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Gregg, Still haven't received those half price coupons, did you forget?
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: S.B.] #128663 02/19/2013 4:24 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Steve, I thought I sent them to you the first time you asked, then this exchange between us took place on February 1:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post127387

QUOTE:
Gregg, I've never got the coupons you membership coupons you promised? Have they all been taken?
Steve

No sir, they have not all been taken. I have dozens.

My apology; the past 3 weeks have been rough with my recovery, and I may have lost your address. Please PM me with your address and how many you would like.

Thank you.

Gregg
END QUOTE

Steve, I have not heard back from you until now. If you would like to respond with your address as I asked then I will be happy to re-send the coupons to you, via. certified mail this time.

Thank you.

Gregg

Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: Gregg Richter] #128685 02/19/2013 5:33 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
This would be HUGE if we could get this published... just wish I had some critters that would qualify!

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: BBwheelgunner] #128712 02/19/2013 11:51 PM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
After 30 months of waiting, I just got word that my South African trophies should be ready to be shipped by the end of February. Gregg, I will contact you when I un-crate them.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: Pasco] #128751 02/20/2013 6:01 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Sounds good, Pasco!

Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: S.B.] #128752 02/20/2013 6:05 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: S.B.
Gregg, Still haven't received those half price coupons, did you forget?
Steve

Steve,
Through the marvels of modern technology and the beni's of being a Moderator I tracked down your address...so don't bother to send it to me, the coup's are "in the mail."

;\)

\:D

Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: Gregg Richter] #130542 03/20/2013 5:14 AM
Nvreloader Offline
stranger
stranger
Gregg,
When the animal is scored, will you accept a BC Offical score, or does it have to be SCI scorer?

I have the first legally taken Nelson Desert Bighorn 168+ and Antelope 86-6/8 that are BC scored and taken with handguns, for the state of NV.

Thank you,
Don

"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, I have reason to fear that person."
NRA Lifer
---------------------------------------------
"When the pavement ends, the fun begins."
Re: SCI Handgun Record Book [Re: Nvreloader] #130632 03/21/2013 3:13 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Very nice trophies, Nvreloader, congratulations!

SCI needs an official SCI score sheet. Some scorers do both. The SCI website has a list of scorers for each state and area.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod