Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Burris scopes review #129152 02/26/2013 1:38 AM
DeerDad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have been reading on this about various scopes and do not see much about the Burris scopes. I found looking at spec sheets that the Burris had the greatest field of view at 100 yards. I contacted a respected barrel supplier and was swayed away from Burris. What is the experience of others on this site with Burris handgun scopes.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: DeerDad] #129153 02/26/2013 1:56 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I have 1 Leopold, 1 Simmons, and 16 Burris 3-12Ballistic Plex Handgun scopes. They are great, but looked down upon by most. I had problems with 2 scopes the past 20 years and Burris fixed them free. Went to Africa in 2011. Killed 9 animals including a hippo. Took two XPs. Both had Burris BPlexes. Last big game hunt and next big game hunt, took only BPlex scopes. Any questions??

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wvhitman] #129154 02/26/2013 2:26 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've owned a few of them and had no mechanical problems with them. My major issue with them is their size compared to their competitors scopes. Most are alot larger than need be, this isn't as noticeable on a single shot as it is on a revolver. The other issue started four or five years ago. They had a rash of scopes that were just junk, tons of them being returned and slow and poor customer service. Like wvhitman said they had a reputation for great customer service but something has changed. I haven't heard anything over the past year but their were alot of angry customers up until that point. They were returning scopes that weren't repaired, misplacing scopes in for repair and taking months to get them turned around. The time frame may have been a result of the number of bad scopes they put out. My favorite and the best on the market are the Leupolds but they are spendy. The scopes I've gone to alot now are the Bushnell Elites in variables and I've used Nikon fixed power. I've also used the Weavers with not major issues. I would personally take any of those over the Burris.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wapitirod] #129159 02/26/2013 3:00 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i have several 3x12's, one 10x, a couple 2x7's, and a couple 2x's. i like them a lot.

i have a 2x6 bushnell trophy and a simmons 2x6 prohunter that work....but they ain't a burris.

i could definately use a leupold, but currently have none. they have been out of my price range during the time of purchases.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: KYODE] #129161 02/26/2013 3:49 AM
WiseGuy Offline
addict
addict
All of my handgun scopes and the majority of my rifle scopes are Burris. I have only had one issue with one of the scopes which was on a revolver. One week after sending the scope back I had it returned completely fixed and free of charge.

Bigger ain't always better....according to who???
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: WiseGuy] #129163 02/26/2013 4:12 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Amen, Kyode. I did forget the Bushnell 2-6 Elite. Have one on .454 and .500 S&W. Great revolver scope, but not for long range. Have had very good customer service with Burris. Maybe I'm lucky. Just bought a scope last week. 3-12X BPlex!!

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wvhitman] #129166 02/26/2013 4:39 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I had a Burris 10X Pistol scope a long time ago; worked great and accounted for many hundreds of prairie dogs on my .223 Contender. I since sold it. It was big and bulky and had a tiny field of view but served me well.

Years ago I was in close contact with the CEO at Burris and he sent me two Burris straight 7 power pistol scopes: a blue and a silver. I still have them both; on my .223 Contender and a 17 HMR Contender. I really like them. I don't believe the straight 7X scope was ever offered from the factory as a standard item.

I also had a Burris variable pistol scope that came loose on the inside and they repaired it and then I sold it.

Nowadays I use Leupolds and Bushnell Elites.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: DeerDad] #129176 02/26/2013 11:07 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have a pile of them........rifle and pistol. GREAT scopes.....never had a single problem.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: DeerDad] #129182 02/26/2013 12:05 PM
Roger in NC Offline
I've had a 2x7x32 w/Posi-Lock on my SRH for four years now. No issues so far (and it's been shot a lot).

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: Roger in NC] #129185 02/26/2013 1:16 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My honest assessment , after owning many (more than a dozen)in the last 32 years, is that some are very good ... and some break. When 1 breaks, Burris will repair it ... and may or may not fix it in the process. I will never buy another.
My last debacle with them occured in the fall of 2011. After firing a few hundred rounds through an XP I planned to use on an antelope hunt, the 2-7X Pistol scope adjustment stopped tracking properly. I sent it in for repairs, also asking that a new BP reticle be installed, which I paid for.
When the scope was returned, I immediately saw that they had installed a RIFLE BP reticle, and I called them, asking the "Customer Service" person if he was a customer service person or a technical person. "Both" he said. I explained the problem. "Have you shot it?" "NO. It obviously won't work" "How do you know that if you haven't shot it?"
Well, for the uninitiated, the hash marks on a rifle scope are MUCH closer than those on a pistol scope, and of course therefore won't provide the marker for the longer distances. I tried to explain that to this "technical" person without any success. I asked to speak to his supervisor. "He's not here". I asked to speak to the General Mgr. "We don't have one. You'll have to talk to me." He went on to tell me they don't make that scope any more. I told him I just bought another one, and told him the catalogue page they were on.
I returned the scope again, complete with a letter and and fired off a letter to the General Manager and waited. Perhaps 10 days later, the General Manager - the one they don't have- called me. He went out to see the technician repairing the scope.
"He discovered he put a rifle reticle in. He didn't know it was a pistol scope".
DONT YOU THINK THEY"D LOOK AT THE EYE RELIEF (AT LEAST) WHEN THEY REPAIR SOMETHING?
I have had 2 other repair glitches with Burris over the years, but was willing to finally overlook them. Not this time.
Obviously, everyone is free to buy what they want. My money goes to Leupold ( I have about 20) or for the Bushnell 3200 ( I have 8). I don't want hit or miss quality, service, or attitude. Too old for it & been around too long.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: 500WE] #129187 02/26/2013 2:03 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That's the kind of story that was very common for 3 or 4 years. There are a bunch of old posts on here with similiar stories.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: 500WE] #129195 02/26/2013 3:22 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
While I have not had repair issues with Burris, I choose Leupold or Elite 3200 for my handguns. I have had good service from them. I do not personally like variable power Burris scopes because the eye relief changes as the power setting is changed.
I do have a couple of 2X Burris scopes that have given me no problems.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wtroper] #129199 02/26/2013 4:05 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I do not personally like variable power Burris scopes because the eye relief changes as the power setting is changed.

That is my biggest gripe about Burris. I have bought a few guns with Burris scopes on them and promptly sold those scopes to buy others.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: s4s4u] #129203 02/26/2013 10:42 PM
Recoil Junkie Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Are all new Burris scopes made in the Philippines, or just some of them? I was considering one, but I highly prefer to buy American.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: Recoil Junkie] #129213 02/27/2013 12:20 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
as far as I know only the upper end Leupolds are still made in the US. I believe the VXIII still is but not even sure of that.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wapitirod] #129216 02/27/2013 1:05 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
2 years ago I bought 2 Burris 2-7 ballistic plex scopes, for my new MGM Encore barrels.Both of these barrels are 1" full bull barrels, the scope on the 460 lasted 70 shots, the other one lasted 31 shots on my 357 Max.I feel I just got 2 bad ones, I returned them and bought Leupolds.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: racksmasher] #129227 02/27/2013 5:31 AM
Buttermilk Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Burris scopes are my favorite. I will side with WVHitman on this subject.

The 2x7 Burris compares very favorably with the Leupold 2.5x-8 when I owned both and was able to compare them side by side on numerous occasions.

Burris has all other brands beat in the FOV category when comparing same power class scopes.

They do shorten on eye relief when the power is cranked up. However for me, in hunting scenarios, I prefer this trait. Seems to work better for me than having to stretch out for a longer eye relief. The Burris eye relief is plenty, even on hard kickers at max magnification.

I traded a Leupold 2.5x-8 for a Burris. I like them that much.

I've owned several Burris scopes. Most have been the 3x-12x AO version.

One I picked up second hand. The glass on that one was a bit odd like the coatings had deteriated. I returned it to Burris. Burris replaced all the lens and installed the Ballistic Plex reticle. Promptly and treated me well.

My next scope will be a Burris 3x-12x AO Ballistic Plex.

Regards.

Regards,
Rog
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: Buttermilk] #129243 02/27/2013 9:05 PM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
I own three Burris, sent two of the three back to get worked on, and now i have to send one of them back again. Yaa i hear how great there costumer service is, but i'm getting sick and tired of spending the time and money to get them fixed. I'll stick with my Leupolds thank you. I have no idea what the Leupold costumer service is like, because i've never had to send one back! The Burris are kind of like the Torass literally hit and miss. LOL

Last edited by wheelguns; 02/27/2013 9:06 PM.
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wheelguns] #129244 02/27/2013 9:16 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can tell you this about Leupold, I have a pair of their range finding binos I bought when they first came out. I had taken them off from around my neck and set them on the center console of my truck. It just so happened I'd been out shoot several revolvers and I'd set one that was in a gun belt and holster on the floor board of the truck. The first time I hit the brakes it was a hole in one, the hammer on the gun busted the lens out of the binos. I sent them in telling them the same story and to let me know what I owed them. It was about a week later I received a brand new pair at no cost. I've sent in a couple used scopes I've bought to be checked out and they have gone through them and replaced any worn parts, even if they weren't broke and again at no charge. The one scope I did break was launched off my 475 3 times until I changed to #8 screws. It hit the ground every time but the last time it bounced off my head first. I'm guessing my head is harder than the ground because that did it in. I sent it in and again told them what happened and in less than two weeks I had it back. I've never had it take more than two weeks to get a scope back from them and they have never questioned any of the damage or charged me for it, even when it was definitely my fault.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wapitirod] #129246 02/27/2013 9:39 PM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
Thanks Rod, that's good to hear.

How you feeling?

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wheelguns] #129254 02/27/2013 11:02 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have two Burris scopes on my revolvers. one a 2-7x that the reticle turned inside it after about one box of 45 colt cowboy loads. back in a week and has worked great ever since.

have a 1.5-4x on my FA 454 that after roughly 300 some odd rounds the reticle broke and started sepparating in the center. this was a week before bear season this fall. was not happy, but that may have been because I had the scope rings a little too loose (Weigand could not give me max torque specs so I used the max of 25 that my mounting kit said for aluminum rings).

Got the 1.5-4x back after about 3ish weeks (free of charge of course) and remounted it this time torquing the rings to about double the lbs per inch (or centimeter, whatever the fat wrench does). has worked well so far, but I do admit that I have not had the chance to put lots of rounds through it.

That being said, I really like the field of view on both of them after comparing them side by side with some of the others on the market. I really wanted a 1.5x-4 on my 454, cause I think it is perfect for the ranges I hunt. burris was my only "quality" choice as far as that goes. If Luepold made a 1.5-4x handgun scope that was a little shorter than my Burris, it would be a no-brainer.

Burris' higher end scopes, including the Handgun scopes are made in the USA.

Rod, All luepold rifle scopes and handgun scopes are made in the USA, but the binos and stuff are not as far as I know. The golden ring Bino might have been an exception

Last edited by BBwheelgunner; 02/27/2013 11:04 PM.

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Burris scopes review [Re: BBwheelgunner] #129267 02/28/2013 2:20 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I thought I heard the rifleman series for sure weren't made here but I'm glad to hear the VX series still is. I know the binos I have weren't.

Wheelgunner, I'm up to over 1100games of solitaire on my computer and never played it before until the night of my surgery. I'm guessing that tells you how bored I am. I'm constantly looking for new emails, posts on here and I'm waiting for my goodies from Gunbroker to show up.

Re: Burris scopes review [Re: wapitirod] #129310 02/28/2013 3:28 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think the Redfield revolution and luepold rifleman scopes are basically the same scopes, and both made here. the redfield revolution however is not made here.

I hear ya there! Last year when i got my tonsills and adnoids removed and my nose worked on I was down for about two weeks of not doing much so I was on here all the time. hope ya have a speedy recovery

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod