Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did you handgun or bowhunt first? #8756 05/15/2005 4:16 PM
DakotaElkSlayer Offline OP
OP Offline
Just curious on this... I am relatively new to bowhunting. That "close and personal" relationship to the prey in bowhunting compelled me to buy a pistol this spring for hunting during rifle season this year.
I LOVE shooting my bow, but I haven't shot more than twice since my revolver arrived. I have become totally addicted to shooting and reloading this thing!!!

Jim

Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8757 05/15/2005 7:36 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I started off with bowhunting cuz, handgun hunting wasn't allowed where I was stationed(New Jersey). Now that I am in New York, the handgun mecca by the way, I hunt with both. I find myself practicing more frequesntly with my handgun an with my bow, just cause I like shooting my handguns. I always get plenty of bow practice before season, but I don't shot year round like I do with my handguns.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: magman] #8758 05/15/2005 7:56 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I also started bowhunting first, just because of my age. Then not now . I love shooting my Matthews but the handguns, actually all guns win out as far as "practice". But there is nothing like sending an arrow thru the rib cage of a nice whitetail buck. But then again it is nice to let the air out of a buck with a peestol shooting my handloads.... Boy I can't wait for October. I am going to watch a Realtree video to get my whitetail fix

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #8759 05/15/2005 11:25 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I bought my first handgun when I turned 21. (close to 20 years ago) I got 2 deer that first year and was HOOKED!! I put away the long guns and never looked back. I had never touched a bow until 2 years ago. The first year I practiced alot but never got a shot at a dear during season. Last year I practiced all summer and when season came I got a nice 4 point, the left antler was broke off. I really enjoy bow hunting almost as much as handgun hunting, but if I had to choose the handgun would win hands down.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8760 05/16/2005 2:33 AM
TCScout Offline
Handgun. Its where I started and its still my favorite.

Post Tenabras Lux
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8761 05/16/2005 11:49 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
reckon i bowhunted first. i got my first bow as a young teenager, but started actually hunting deer in my early 20's. sigh..........20+ years ago

gave up my bow a while back. just as soon fill my tags with the things i dearly love. i WILL use handguns untill i draw my last breath.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: KYODE] #8762 05/16/2005 12:47 PM
WNY_Whitetailer Offline
Started bowhunting back in 97...Just started handgun hunting in 2004...Still love the bow the best...Handgun is a close second though.

Patience comes with age and you can't teach common sense
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8763 05/16/2005 5:50 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've bowhunted since I was thirteen years old. Shot a deer that year and went to CO and shot an elk then next. Then I started shooting 3D, got picked up by HoytUSA as a Co-Op shooter, won two PSAA indoor titles, two IBO state titles, and placed as high as 7th in the World IBO shoot. For almost ten years I did not even have to hunt with a rifle because I filled all my tags with a bow. Then I started getting burned out...turned a hobby into a job and lost interest...that was about the same time as I started reloading and shooting Contenders. Been doing that for almost ten years now and loving it! (Much better than shotguns if you read my other post!! ) Still shooting the bow and archery hunting from time to time though.

Been shooting the bow a couple times a week lately. Getting back to close was I could do before I quit competing...I've been averaging about 4" at 40 yards...used to be able to do 3" at 50 yards. Still shooting a Hoyt!!

Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: Dan B.] #8764 05/16/2005 7:00 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
what?.........not a matthews i never was quite tournament material.......if ya know what i mean. only killed 3 or 4 does by bow, and missed about that many also.

i think huntin with, loadin for, and shootin these hunting handguns is the most enjoyable thing for me. everyone has to find the "perfect fit" for them.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8765 05/16/2005 11:06 PM
Chief RID Offline
It was always the bow for me. I first hunted deer as a kid back in the 60s and returned to hunting in the 80s with a compound. I am back to the traditional now and I started handgun hunting to extend my range a little and for the fun of it. It has proved more difficult for me that the bow.

Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: Chief RID] #8766 05/17/2005 4:41 PM
OP Offline
Quote:

I started handgun hunting to extend my range a little and for the fun of it. It has proved more difficult for me that the bow.

Chief, join the club! I shoot a C.P. Oneida compound and so far I shoot tighter groups with Slick Trick broadheads @ 50yds. than I do with my .45 Colt WITH A 2X SCOPE!!!!! Sure is FUN, though!

Jim

Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8767 05/18/2005 10:36 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
jim, i thought i was the only one. when i started with the pistol, i was so aggravated . i could easily outshoot myself with a bow when compared to a handgun. i think when you draw a bow back and have it anchored, it is very stable compared to a handgun. except when sandbagged or something. anyway, i've gotten a little better now and can no longer outshoot my handgun with a bow...which is a good thing!! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: bisleyfan44] #8768 05/18/2005 11:47 PM
OP Offline
Quote:

i think when you draw a bow back and have it anchored, it is very stable compared to a handgun. except when sandbagged or something.

I am using sandbags!!!!

Jim

Re: Did you handgun or bowhunt first? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8769 05/19/2005 8:14 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
oops ! oh well, just keep on shooting. you'll get there, i promise. it just takes time. i'm still not anywhere near where i want to be !

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod