Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Somebody Edify me #129947 03/12/2013 4:13 AM
DOAGuide Offline OP
OP Offline
So being the newbie that I am to handguns I am going to pose this question in hopes of gleaning some knowledge. This is NOT to start a feud or angry debate. I am looking for answers from both sides of the fence. So here goes:

During my hog hunt I shot the Barnes XPB's. I also loaded (but didn't shoot yet) Hornady XTP's. After looking at quite a few threads here I see recovered bullets that haven't expanded much at all. I was blown out of the water with the expansion and penetration of the Barnes bullets and figured that was the cats meow.

So which is better; Minimal expansion with excellent penetration or maximum expansion with excellent penetration?

I know there are a number of factors involved but in the pistol world I am wondering what the "best" is.

Re: Somebody Edify me [Re: DOAGuide] #129948 03/12/2013 4:30 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
First off - let me say everything is a tradeoff when it comes to penetration vs. expansion. I don't think anyone will argue that point. Most on here know I'm not a huge fan of cast bullets except in certain situations where maximum penetration is required. I much prefer an expanding bullet over a non-expanding bullet in most situations. That preference is based on my experiences. Others here are just as committed to their ideals and 180 degrees opposed to my opinion. That's OK. I admit I've never used the XPB but I've seen quite a few critters shot with them and based on my observations, they are excellent performers on game, despite their, light for the caliber, weights. The only explanation I can offer to their penetration is that they expand slower than some other bullets, like the Nosler Partition and thus, penetrate better. It goes counter to everything we "know" that lighter bullets penetrate less but yet they seem to do very well. I'm open to other ideas if anyone can offer a better explanation...

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Somebody Edify me [Re: Gary] #129957 03/12/2013 11:59 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I think Gary is right on in the expiation balance. Eg, a full metal jacket will achieve full penetration, but it’s terminal performance stinks.

Which to me brings up another point in the same topic.
NOT ALL BULLETS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

Not just with the Cast Vs. Jacket debate, but within the realm of their homogenic strains.

The design of the bullet and how it performs, regardless of the construction, is how I like to judge a bullet. EG, terminal performance. In short, there are some brands of jacketed bullets that perform better than other brands of jacketed bullets. The same with cast bullets.

I could write about this for the next 30 min… LOL…

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Somebody Edify me [Re: TCTex.] #129960 03/12/2013 1:56 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Having not shot the XPBs yet myself, I cannot say for sure, but I have pondered this same question on why they work so well at a lesser weight, and have come up with two theories.

Being solid copper, they lose next to nothing in weight (many I have seen on the net and etc. have very very close to 100% weight retention! unless some of the "petals" break off. even if this happens, the weight retention is still very high and the main "body" of the bullet does not deform one bit.

number two is that the expansion that is happening is in sharp petals. This I think of in the matter of physics, where the petals that have space between them give less resistance than a different type of lead hollow point that expands with a blunt rounded or "solid" circular surface area, giving more resistance from the matter it is being shot into. But, the petals still give huge amounts of tissue damage.

This, like a said, is just a theory I have come up with after much thought on the subject and nothing else. Most definitely over analyzing!
feel free to critique!

I definitely want to try the XPB's in the game fields in my 45 colt and 454 casull in the near future though

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod