Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Borescope comparison of custom vs factory #820 02/22/2004 9:50 PM
a17shooter Offline OP
OP Offline
Lilja has a borescope video showing a comparison of a new Remington barrel and (of course) a new Lilja barrel. It does show dramatic differences in the quality of the finish work. Poor Remington!

Lilja rifle barrels

I knew there was a difference but, WOW!

If you still have questions about Cryo Treatment and Moly coating bullets read his FAQ.

A17Shooter

Re: Borescope comparison of custom vs factory [Re: a17shooter] #821 02/24/2004 12:24 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I agree with you , the difference is incredible. I have Hart, Shilen, and Krieger's, but I also have Remingtons that shoot just as well. The Remingtons took a lot of JB and elbow to get there! Keep in mind the video was produced for a reason. Still, all in all, if I were going to build a custom gun on a Rem 700, Ed Brown, Jarret, or other custom action, I sure would go for a custom barrel too. I think the real difference is making barrels for the masses versus the custom market. It isn't cost effective for Remington, or others. Look at the new Rem 710? --no don't. I can't imagine what one of those looks like through a bore-scope. I also know from shooting competition, that the custom steels and throats are MUCH better and last longer if properly cared for. Properly is another topic in itself!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Borescope comparison of custom vs factory [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #822 02/24/2004 2:34 AM
a17shooter Offline OP
OP Offline
My custom barrels are from K&P. I usually find a load that will work well in a factory barrel. But, there is usually only one or two good loads. About ten years ago it was rumored that Ruger contracted their barrels at $10 each. I can believe that, based on my experience with factory Ruger barrels.

A17shooter

Re: Borescope comparison of custom vs factory [Re: a17shooter] #823 02/24/2004 5:28 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

If you still have questions about Cryo Treatment and Moly coating bullets read his FAQ.

A17Shooter

I have read their FAQ and like their view on moly and cryo. Basically comes down to the fact that cryo can't hurt, but won't necessarily help and moly may introduce a new set of problems that you hadn't planned for. I have been barrel shopping lately and found the same basic responses on several custom barrel makers websites.

Stush

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod