Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hunting Africa #130910 03/28/2013 4:55 PM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
All the talk about Africa has peaked my interest. I'm curious, who's been there, when, where, and what did you take.

I'll start: SA in 06.

The animals taken: Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Springbuck, Duiker, Impala, Blesbuck, Baboon, and Gemsbuck.

Really wanted a Warthog, but the weather was windy the whole time we were there, and the Warthog doesn't come out in high winds. Oh well, maybe I'll make it back again, and shoot the three trophies I wasn't able to get the first time...

//Psalms 42:1//
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #130916 03/28/2013 9:10 PM
Lucien Offline
Linebaugh,

Never made it there but I can tell you that I would love to go right after Alaska this year. I will be using my 303 lee enfield no1 mkIII I have to say in both Alaska and when I make it to Africa. Well, along with my 416 CZ 550. Two calibers that I think belong there. Where did you go? Who did you use as a guide? Would you recommend them to others?
Eventhough I haven't been there I love to read posts from others that have and if you had the time you should expound on your post. More detail. No pressure... just many watching is all. Waiting for something good. Scary stuff to keep one up at night. Black mambas in your slippers, charged by lions, and the like.

Sean R. Kerr
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Lucien] #130917 03/28/2013 9:57 PM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Sean, I was in South Africa, down on the Eastern Cape. It's much more open range with lot of hills, rather then the Limpopo Valley which has a lot of heavy brush and closer shooting.
When I booked the hunt, the booking agent told me that the farthest I would have to shoot is around 200yrds. I never had a shot under 200yrds., and actually shot my blesbuck at around 450yrds.
I wanted to hunt with a handgun, but had picked up a smoking deal on this hunt, and only had around 4mnths. to go on the trip. And it takes around 6mnths. to get the special permit to get a pistol into country, so I took my trusted 300 Ultra Mag.
I hunted with Hunters Hills Safari's, and had a blast. My father n law and I hunted together, we killed 19 trophies all together in those 9 days. I would absolutely recommend these guys, as they were awesome.
If you do plan to go, and you start to narrow it down. I would recommend you do a lot of research on not only the outfitter, but the area. If the agent only gives you a couple of references, find another agent. Also stay away from these "kull hunts" they are only good if you just want to shoot stuff. I your looking for trophies for the wall, Kull Hunts are not what your looking for.
There were Black Mambas, and puffheader in the area we were, but didn't see any. I did get some great photo's of a young male Lion. One evening when coming back to the lodge, he was hiding in the bush watching us. I guess he could smell the game we had taken that was in the back of the truck.
The concern of snakes never kept me up at night, the thing that use to work on my head the most before I went to bed, was the spiders living in the thatched roof above my bed. Not to mention the Monkey's pulling the thatching out all night long.
To be honest, I wished I had more money for trophy fees. I would have loved to shoot a couple more animals..

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #130922 03/28/2013 11:12 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
I hunted South Africa in 1998. Game taken was 1 each Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Impala, Mountain Reedbuck, Blue Wildbeast, Black Wildebeast, Springbok, Lechwe, Cape Hartebeast,and 2 Warthogs. All were taken with rifles: Winchester M70 .30-06 180 grain Winchester Failsafe, Winchester M70 .375 H&H Magnum 260 grain Failsafe.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: wheeler45] #130923 03/28/2013 11:17 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I sent in handgun papers early Jan. Got approved mid Feb. Gotta use the right agent. SEnd a PM if really interested in very good hunt a decent prices. Went in 2011. Got #2 kudu, #11 hippo, 7 other animals all in top 35. 100% handgun.

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: wheeler45] #130924 03/28/2013 11:21 PM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Wheeler, what part of SA did you hunt in?

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #130929 03/29/2013 12:19 AM
Lucien Offline
Linebaugh, very cool. I'm headed the other way to Alaska for fishing and sitka deer in August of this year. Only bringing the 416 Rigby for the things that eat the same fish that I am after with my fiance and my sons. And yup, bringing some handguns too since a rifle against a tree is not such a good idea.

I want to get to the dark continent in the next three years. Maybe the Gods will smile on me and I will get there! I'm not even sure that I should call it the dark continent anymore. Doesn't seem like it is as mysterious as it once was. Maybe I just look like a dork for thinking of the books that I read when I was a child.

Sean R. Kerr
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Lucien] #130930 03/29/2013 12:35 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
2002 and 2005
2 Waterbuck, Zebra, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Nyala, 2 Bushbuck, Gemsbok, Warthog, Impala, Steinbuck.

Going again in August. If anyone wants to go let me know there are 3 of us so far.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Lucien] #130932 03/29/2013 12:52 AM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Lucien
Linebaugh, very cool. I'm headed the other way to Alaska for fishing and sitka deer in August of this year. Only bringing the 416 Rigby for the things that eat the same fish that I am after with my fiance and my sons. And yup, bringing some handguns too since a rifle against a tree is not such a good idea.

I want to get to the dark continent in the next three years. Maybe the Gods will smile on me and I will get there! I'm not even sure that I should call it the dark continent anymore. Doesn't seem like it is as mysterious as it once was. Maybe I just look like a dork for thinking of the books that I read when I was a child.

It made be a little tamer then days gone by, but it still stirs something in the heart of the hunter once the plane touches down there. Well, it did for me anyways. I can honestly say it felt like I came home
\:\)

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #130938 03/29/2013 3:18 AM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
Linebaugh, I hunted the Eastern Cape with Ian Wilmot Safaris. We hunted from the Tsolwana, Mpofu and Double Drift reserves. All shooting was done from the passenger side truck window.
It was the fulfillment of a lifelong dream.
Praise Jesus!

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: wheeler45] #130940 03/29/2013 1:09 PM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: wheeler45
Linebaugh, I hunted the Eastern Cape with Ian Wilmot Safaris. We hunted from the Tsolwana, Mpofu and Double Drift reserves. All shooting was done from the passenger side truck window.
It was the fulfillment of a lifelong dream.
Praise Jesus!

Amen!!

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #130958 03/30/2013 3:09 AM
Rick P Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Went to the Free State in '09. Shot a greater kudu, blue wildebeest, zebra, impala, springbok, blesbok, and gemsbok. All but the kudu shot with a handgun. The terrain was quite flat.

Headed to the Eastern Cape in '12 near Grahamstown. Completely different terrain will big hills (they call them mountains and after this fat guy walked them for 10 days, they felt "mountainous") and heavy brush. Took a kudu, zebra, mountain reedbuck, bushbuck, black wildebeest and warthog. Again, all but the kudu were taken with a handgun. We then finished up with some relaxing bird hunting back up in the Free State.

Hunting Africa is soooo much fun and not that expensive when compared with a West Texas trophy whitetail hunt......except for the taxidermy bill.

Republicans believe everyday is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15th. -- Ronald Reagan
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Rick P] #130960 03/30/2013 4:35 AM
warthog97 Offline
ok gents, what guide service/outfitters did you use, and would you use them again?

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: warthog97] #130964 03/30/2013 2:36 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Bobby Hansen Safaris and yes, I'm going with him again in Aug.
http://http://www.bobbyhansensafaris.com

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Gary] #130973 03/30/2013 10:43 PM
Rick P Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Russ Fields Safaris. Booked hunts with him both times.

http://www.southafricanhunting.com/

His site is a bit outdated as he no longer lives on the Big 5 property but has access to literally millions of acres.

As far as I know, he'll be at the Dallas Safari Club show next year at the Rigby booth.

Republicans believe everyday is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15th. -- Ronald Reagan
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Rick P] #130974 03/30/2013 10:47 PM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict

Hunting Africa is soooo much fun and not that expensive when compared with a West Texas trophy whitetail hunt......except for the taxidermy bill. [/quote]

Oh,this is sooooo true
;\)

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #131082 04/03/2013 2:36 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
I went to Limpopo in 2010 with Shingani Safaris. I wanted a "hunt" not a shoot. Everything was on the ground- spot & stalk, or in a natural blind. Kudu: one shot @ 48 yds. with T/C 45-70,ranked #216. Warthog: one shot @ 36 yds. with T/C 30-30. Zebra Stallion, one shot @ 46 yrds. with Ruger .480 open sights. Wildbeest: 3 shots @ 38 yds. with Ruger .480 ranked #170. Eland: 3 shots @ 50 yrds. with Ruger .480, ranked # 5 with handgun, # 50 overall. The only complaint I have is with the time it is taking to get my mounts. I just got a email today from the shipper telling me that my mounts are crated and ready to be sent. I may book a Cape Buffalo hunt with them in 2014, but will have the mounting done here in the states.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Pasco] #131122 04/04/2013 2:29 AM
Rick P Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Since we just returned from our hunt in the fall of '12, my next trip will be 3-5 years away. Next on the list is a cape buffalo with a handgun. The big question is whether to stay in RSA or head to Mozambique......but it will be with Russ Field Safaris again. They have over a million acres in Mozambique plus their lodge is on a lake so fishing will be an option as well in the "down time". Got plenty of time to polish up my skills on the preferred handgun of a Ruger SRH in .480.

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: linebaugh] #131241 04/09/2013 1:10 PM
Igor Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I’ve been in Namibia in 2009 and 2012 all together – 5 weeks. Beautiful hunting farm Windpoort just 7-8 miles from Etosha national park, owned by American couple. If you want real hunt, only stalking and forbidden shot from vehicle (unfortunately very popular in Africa) – this is right place for you. First time I was hunting with my Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 with handgun scope on it (Burris 2-7x32 with Balisticplex reticle). I used my handloads with Speer 400grs SP and 420grs WFN (Cast Perf.Center). I took warthog, blue wildebeest, greater kudu, Oryx and finally zebra at 240yds – good bless Balisticplex.
In 2012 I was hoping that Namibia will allow handgun hunting but it didn’t happened so I choose my #70 bow and Blazer 9.3x62 with 1.5-6x42 Circle Dot with Illumination. This time I put my bet on (for me) best bullet in the world for 9.3mm - Nosler Partition 286grs. Great best medicine for Africa unless you count on over 220yds shots! With my Blazer I got exceptional trophies of warthog, kudu, oryx and eland. My hunting companion had his excellent Manlicher in 8x68S using my hand loaded ammo with 200grs Nosler Partition. I had opportunity for two long range shots and both time I used his 8x68. First kill was baboon at 470 yards and springbok at 440 yards – both was one shot one kill. With my compound I took nice blue wildebeest.
Important note: If you want real hunt, meeting dangerous animal is very realistic. Pay attention to everything – keep ALWAYS doors and windows closed (mosquito net also works fine), expect snake in wood pile prepared for camp fire and close to trash can. Those places are paradise for mouse, snake’s main food. In our cases we saw 4 zebra cobras (spitting cobra) and one puff adder. ALWAYS HAVE A TORCH! No matter how short is distance you need to walk through during evening always use torch – night is prime hunting time for snakes and possibility to meet her increase.
Another warning – you would be surprised how 1.5 tonnes animal is difficult to see – on time! We had accident with old and nasty black rhino. PH and hunter were just stalking 500 meters from me when black rhino charged. He was sleeping 20 meters from trail where my friend with 8x68 and PH was walking. He knocked down our PH with single kick in stomach/chest area. PH fly through the air falling down at rocky soil when rhino stabbed him with horn throwing him 3m high in the air...another fall to the hard surface. After attack, rhino moved 20-30m away turn back to man and keep staring in their direction for couple of minutes. This was happening in couple of seconds and this was time when was not allowed anymore to shot the beast in self defence. We gave him first aid, calling for helicopter to take PH in the hospital and cutting through bushes with machetes space for landing. In short result was: 7 ribs broken, broken pelvis at 5 places, internal bleeding, part of pancreas and intestine removed. 3 months after this our PH and our old pall was back on the farm ready to host new hunters.

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: Igor] #131257 04/09/2013 11:21 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Keiriverhuntingsafaris.co.za. North of East London, Eastern Cape.100% free ranging, stalking only, no waterhole sitting. Got #2 Cape kudu, 6.5/.284 XP, 201 yds., 1 shot, caracal, Cape bushbuck, 3 species of springboks, mtn. reedbuck at 270 with 6.5/.284. All these anima;ls are in top 35 of each species. Went to south Kruger and got #11 handgun hippo with one shot and .375/.284 XP.
This guy is el primo. No bull, no joy riding. 100% pure hunting. He was featured in Amer. Hunter 2 years ago-hosted S&W guys using .460 and .500.
I'll be back!

Re: Hunting Africa [Re: wvhitman] #131330 04/12/2013 10:29 AM
Igor Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Wvhitman,
Just visited Keiriverhuntingsafaris.co.za.site - looks great and accomodation is excelent but prices are almost doubled compared to what I was paying in Namibia!!! Urghh

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod