Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Customizing my Super RedHawk? #131802 04/28/2013 4:07 PM
mountainman13 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I thinking of Customizing my New Super RedHawk to make it my own. Im probably going to start with the Grip. I really like the way wood grain looks but im worried how it will perform! I was on houges website looking at their grips some pretty nice wood grips but how much punishment will my hand take with that kid of set up? I know the new shock absorbing rubber grips are probably the way to go but i just dont really like the style. Maybe i should stick with the stock grip cause its rubber and wood..LOL Best of both worlds! Also even tho i have a Leupold Scope on my beast im thinking of installing a set of Fiber optic site on it cause i like the way they look and in case i want to do some open site shooting too! Might get the barrel ported as well.

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: mountainman13] #131803 04/28/2013 4:34 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Might get the barrel ported as well.

I think you would regret that.

The Hogue Tamer grip is the best handle you can have if you plan to shoot heavy loads. If going with wood, make sure it fills the hand well as narrow grips can be a real pain, literally.

Marble's makes fiber optic front sights for the SRH.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: s4s4u] #131804 04/28/2013 4:53 PM
mountainman13 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:

The Hogue Tamer grip is the best handle you can have if you plan to shoot heavy loads. If going with wood, make sure it fills the hand well as narrow grips can be a real pain, literally.

Probably wont port the barrel just a thought i know it makes them too loud but recoils lighter.. Well the only time im going to shoot the heavier loads is for hunting but maybe the double tap xbp copper or buffalo bore dear grenades. During target practice its going to be standard ammo.

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: mountainman13] #131805 04/28/2013 5:10 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Lighter loads will shoot to a different POI than heavy loads so be sure to re-zero with the hunting loads after you are done plinking.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: s4s4u] #131806 04/28/2013 5:11 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:

I agree, the Tamer is the way to go. I wouldn't port it either.

Here is my SRH in .500 Linebaugh for inspiration:

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: Whitworth] #131807 04/28/2013 6:14 PM
bladesmith14731 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I would get your hands on a Ruger with the Tamer grips just to see how it feels. I wanted to do that so I grabbed one at the local gun shop and found that I did not like the feel or how the gun pointed with them.

But, I have got to say that I like my fiber optic and ghost ring set up.

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: bladesmith14731] #131808 04/28/2013 6:50 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Perhaps, but when recoil gets heavy as is the case with my .500 Linebaugh SRH, I have found no better grips. But hey, it's subjective.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: Whitworth] #131809 04/28/2013 7:10 PM
mountainman13 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Quote:

I agree, the Tamer is the way to go. I wouldn't port it either.

Here is my SRH in .500 Linebaugh for inspiration:

Very nice!! How did you get it chambered in that caliber? Im guessing a custom gun smith job. How much did it cost to convert it?

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: mountainman13] #131811 04/28/2013 8:14 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
When I got my .454 SuperRed years ago I sent to Ken Kelly at Mag-Na=Port and said do it right. He did a 4 port on the muzzle, jeweled the trigger and hammer, trigger job, numbered the cylinder ('cause 1 chamber is usually off a little in revolvers. I put it under the hammer), made sure it functioned right (some early ones had timing problems), plus I put on a set of Ruger express sights (front bead, rear V), and added Hogue grips. Now I have a fine revolver (sure, it's no FA or custom job) that shoots great with open sights and a Bushnell 2-6 Elite that I can take off when open sights are needed.
I don't mind the porting. I always shoot/hunt with plugs. If those around me don't wear protection, muzzle blast is their problem. Recoil is less than my nonported .44 Redhawk. It shoots and looks great. I've never regretted doing all this to it, and it didn't break the bank.

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: wvhitman] #132256 05/11/2013 9:16 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I had the 4 port mag-na-port done on my 4" 454 Redhawk and it really helped with the torque/flip. It's still a handfull with heavy 454 loads but easier to hang on to. It feels more like big recoil than wanting to twist/flip out of your hand. With a 7.5 inch barrel I think I'd leave it be and spend the money on primers/powder and boolits
\:D

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: Snyd] #132260 05/12/2013 12:55 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
If its going to be a safe Queen go with the pretty wood ,but for a hard using gun [as they all should be] Hogue Tamers or Pachmayrs are the way to go. The factory Ruger grips are not good for me with heavy recoil. If they hurt it is damn hard to put that out of your mind and shoot good groups,or make good shots on game. It can be done but requires lots of dedication and practice.I think I owe it to the game I shoot to make each shot the best it can be. I love pretty wood but not to the extent that I will use it on my hunting guns,except my Bisley which neither Houge nor Pachmayr make rubber grips for yet.
J.M.H.O.

junebug
Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: junebug] #132266 05/12/2013 2:43 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Hogue Tamers are standard on the .454 and .480 SRHs now -- finally.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Customizing my Super RedHawk? [Re: Whitworth] #132268 05/12/2013 3:40 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
There should be some of TCTex's pics where he had either bone or horn inlays made for his factory grips. They look nice and I was just shooting his 480 and the factory grips dampen the recoil to nothing compared to a single action.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod