Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First run at handloading #131992 05/04/2013 1:33 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Ok. Yall go easy if I have some dumb comments or questions. I finally got my reloading setup put together. I have a Lee single stage press, Lee carbide dies for the 44 mag, primer pocket cleaner, 1000 Federal 150 primers, a new bottle of 4227 powder, an RCBS 5-0-5 powder scale, powder funnel, good bit of once fired brass, 3 boxes of Hornady 240gr xtp's on the way, and a good work bench.
How important is a brass tumbler? I've read alot about guys cleaning brass by washing in various liquid concoctions, and not needing to tumble polish. Anybody have a good way to clean 'em without a media tumbler? Also, does anybody have a pet load, that worked well using the components I have on hand? Any suggestions for other equipment I "can't live without "? I'm also dying to try some cast bullets for deer season this fall. Has anyone had good results on game and accuracy with beartooth bullets? I do have an older sierra reloading manual , and of course all the online resources for load data, but those myriads of numbers don't come with the experience of folks who have done it for a while. Thanks in advance fella's, I'm really looking fwd to loading my own now.

Re: First run at handloading [Re: Boot] #131996 05/04/2013 2:24 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
How important is a brass tumbler?

I've never owned one. Usually just wipe them down, but I have a "concoction" that works well when they need it.

A case trimmer would be a worthwhile addition.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: First run at handloading [Re: s4s4u] #131997 05/04/2013 2:51 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I don't shoot 4227 much so I can't help with a pet load but I would recommend a RCBS hand priming tool vs. using the press to do it but that's just me. I do tumble my brass and when you get one get a big one. They work a lot better than the little ones. I've had a Lyman turbo for decades and just recently bought the big Lyman and it will probably last another 20 years.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: First run at handloading [Re: Gary] #131999 05/04/2013 3:12 AM
Ironsights Offline
stranger
stranger
Before I got my tumbler I would put my media in a clean plastic bottle with 50 cases and shake em up, while driving to and from work or just around the house. Kinda silly but it works well keep a dirty case and compare as you clean the ones in the bottle you can tell the difference. I haven't had any dealings with your powder or primers. I would strongly invest in a case trimmer and dial caliper, I'd stay away from hornady's FTX bullet, if you do venture to the FTX you definitely will need a trimmer. Good luck reloading has been enjoyable for me and cheaper too. Sites to visit handloads.com /// sixguns.com //// darkcanyon.net <-skeeter skelton.

Last edited by Ironsights; 05/04/2013 3:15 AM.

Darlin it all depends which part of the country your from as to how stupid your are - The Bandit
Re: First run at handloading [Re: Gary] #132000 05/04/2013 3:17 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've got a pair of Cabelas Tumblers going on about a dozen years each. I run one with walnut and the other with corn cob media. The walnut is more agressive and I use it on really dirty cases. I use the corn for cleaner cases or if I want to make them really pretty after using the walnut. They also have several ultrasonic brass cleaners out now that work well. Before I got my tumblers I used water and brasso to clean them. A case that has been tumbled is much nicer to work with and look at though. You can buy tumblers relatively cheap if you shop around.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: First run at handloading [Re: wapitirod] #132004 05/04/2013 3:41 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I don't think you're supposed to use stuff like brasso on cases. I've read it weakens the brass.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: First run at handloading [Re: Gary] #132005 05/04/2013 3:59 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't see a powder throw on your list. Do you plan on weighting each load? Get a good one, rcbs, etc. Steer clear of the lee, it is junk. A good one will elliminate weighting each load, you can set it up and weigh every fifth one. Rule number one is read the manual from cover to cover

Re: First run at handloading [Re: campbellkids] #132006 05/04/2013 4:02 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Bte, hornaday bullets =hornaday manual.

Re: First run at handloading [Re: Gary] #132007 05/04/2013 4:07 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gary
I don't think you're supposed to use stuff like brasso on cases. I've read it weakens the brass.

I don't anymore but that's good to know. I had never heard that before.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: First run at handloading [Re: campbellkids] #132008 05/04/2013 4:09 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: campbellkids
I don't see a powder throw on your list. Do you plan on weighting each load? Get a good one, rcbs, etc. Steer clear of the lee, it is junk. A good one will elliminate weighting each load, you can set it up and weigh every fifth one. Rule number one is read the manual from cover to cover

Actually out of my RCBS, Lyman and two LEE's the LEE's are the most consistent although they are cheapest and almost all plastic.

Re: First run at handloading [Re: wapitirod] #132013 05/04/2013 10:41 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Being brand new to handloading, I had intended on measuring each load for a while, just to be safe. I got the 4227 powder because it was all that was available, and after reading a little on it, it seems almost impossible to double charge with that type of powder, and it's less "violent than some faster burning stuff. Alot of folks also say its less sensitive to ambient temperature changes. How accurate are the powder throws? I realize I may be overthinking some of this, but if I make an error, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. Ultrasonic cleaners
are just to $$$ to be honest. I had hoped not to invest
a million dollars in this venture, in case it turned out not to be for me.

Re: First run at handloading [Re: Boot] #132014 05/04/2013 10:54 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Nobody has used beartooth bullets? I figured somebody here had at least tried them. They have a 280gr wfngc with a 340 metplat that I think would allow enough case capacity to get it moving good, and still provide plenty of penetration, regardless of shot angle and bone impact. Also, reading on some cast "boolit" (lol) stuff, I see where folks talk about slugging the barrel and chamber throats. In factory fodder, my Ruger has always produced better groups with .430 bullets than the stuff with. 429. How much oversized is a cast bullet supposed to be? They're offered in .429-.432.

Re: First run at handloading [Re: wapitirod] #132017 05/04/2013 11:28 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
My lee has blue dot flakes caught between the drum and the housing. My RCBS has thrown exact weights with flakes, grains, kernals, short cut, etc. I got burned out of Lee, except I just got a 20 dollar mold that is great! Maybe they have improved over the last 15 years because the Lee thrower that I had sucked.

Re: First run at handloading [Re: campbellkids] #132018 05/04/2013 11:34 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
You are going to need a trickler or some scoops like the Lee set to put at least something close to the correct amount on the scales. The trickler takes forever if you are a few grains off each time. 4227 throws pretty consistent, but you will still need some way to scoop the powder.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod