Next Thread
Print Thread
What kind of hunter are you! #133079 06/07/2013 4:32 AM
Seasons44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Alright maybe its just me just we need to lighten the mood just a little bit,
Anybody who knows me, is aware I am a smart ass and a ball breaker( blame it on jersey) But when I hunt its game time.

But we all have differences being hunters from all around the country and have different methods, preferences on how we hunt and what we deem important. Lets forget the choice of weapon, caliber and bullet choices and just talk tactics and what type of hunter are you. So are you a dye in wool hunter or a gym rat who is OCD with scent control and your equipment.

Lets keep this light and have fun with it!

Last edited by Seasons44; 06/07/2013 4:34 AM.

Simple, Elegant, but always Approachable
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Seasons44] #133080 06/07/2013 5:01 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'm definitely not a gym rat, I was blessed with the ability to trek up and down the western mountains until my health started failing but I still find ways to get the job done. I'm strictly a meat hunter so if it's legal it's dead. I still do like to stalk but I spend more time spotting animals and stalking them than I do still hunting anymore but I just enjoy being in the woods.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: wapitirod] #133082 06/07/2013 6:05 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Pretty much all of the above.
Just depends on my mood and the amount of time I have in the field, whether spot-n-stalk, calling in animals, still hunting, stand hunting or setting up and shooting from distance.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Seasons44] #133084 06/07/2013 6:20 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Have some folks got off their meds or what
\:D

I guess I must have missed all of the seriousness.

Originally Posted By: Seasons44
Alright maybe its just me just we need to lighten the mood just a little bit,

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Ernie] #133085 06/07/2013 11:12 AM
linebaugh Offline
addict
addict
My most commonly used tactic is setting high in a tree stand, and light calling. I would consider myself a "scent control" nut for sure, but this is more during archery then gun hunting.
The terrain I hunt is for the most part farm land, separated by average parcels of mature timber..

//Psalms 42:1//
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: linebaugh] #133086 06/07/2013 11:54 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am a just get out there type of hunter. I am a meat hunter first and foremost, ain't seen a horn you could cook enough to eat. But I am a watcher,people animals whatever. Sit look and listen and you can find out a lot.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: cottonstalk] #133088 06/07/2013 1:18 PM
wyote Offline
addict
addict
I'm mostly a meat hunter, so I get all the doe/cow tags I can get. I do get (at least try to get) buck tags which I usually hunt for a "big one" but come the last few days and the tag isn't filled.........I'll take does with them. Hunting for the "big one" give's me many more days in the field than taking the first buck I see

I'd say a good 70% of my hunting is spot and stalk. The rest of the time I'm sitting and watching. Even sitting can turn into a stalk!

I'm not into the scent control thing at all.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: wyote] #133090 06/07/2013 1:38 PM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The day I tagged my first archery deer I became addicted to "up close and personal". That deer (a button buck) was at one point about 10 feet away, eating off the brush I was hiding in.
I have no problem getting out of my stand (mostly ground blinds)to stalk a critter I feel isn't going to come close enough.

Mostly a meat hunter but I don't mind a little something for the wall.

My girlfriend says I enjoy the getting ready as much as the going. I'll sit and hone a broadhead for hours till it's too sharp to look at.

Basically it's about getting out....the whole experience.

Jeff

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: archr610] #133092 06/07/2013 2:08 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
I just returned from a morning squirrel hunt/killed four. It all depends on what game I am hunting/terrain, and other variables dictate which method is employed. Sitting in an elevated deer blind for whitetails is the most effective method to kill a big buck in our neck of the woods. Mountain game hinges on a lot of time behind glass/spotting and stalking. Tracking buffalo/bongo/ or other African game for hours can be rewarding. The mornings squirrel hunt was great fun/sneaking through the woods looking for any sign of movement. It's all fun and I enjoy most methods regardless of species.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Mark Hampton] #133094 06/07/2013 3:08 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I am not sure if techno is the right word, but for me it tends to be about my gear, and mainly my choice of weapon or caliber. As the reloading, and testing and tweaking and everything else that goes on all year with a gun is the bulk of my recreation, the hunt is more the culmination or "proof" in a way. Like all of the antelope I harvested with my 45-70. Only real rifle I had, was told antelope had to be shot from 400 yards, and I needed a bolt gun.

Then there was all of the AR's cannot be used for hunting. Did my homework, spent my spring and summer months for a lot of years on loads and calibers, and now have handful of calibers that work just fine on big game.

So perhaps it's wanting to prove something, or just wanting to walk a slightly different path. I could care less about horns, love the meat, but tend to love the methodology and the path required for proficiency based on the methodology. So the hunt is the culmination, but it is the journey all year that is my true love. Sometimes I envy those folks who dust the gun off before season, sight it in, and go an fill their freezer. Then put it away for another year. Sometimes, but not often.......

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Bearbait in NM] #133098 06/07/2013 4:10 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
^ what he said. More about the year building up to it and the taste of the meat. Next years hunt is on the mind while I am hunting and since I am close to public ground it doesn't take long to be away from everyone which could be the best part.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: rlb] #133100 06/07/2013 6:31 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I don't really buy into all of the carbon suits and sprays etc. I just get out there and hunt. I don't really like sitting in trees much but I will do it when it's necessary to hunt a particular spot. I don't like sitting in a box blind but I will do it when that's what is called for. I guess I like to feel like I'm part of the experience rather than merely an observer, if that makes any sense.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Gary] #133102 06/07/2013 6:56 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
 Quote:
What kind of hunter are you!

Not a very good one!

Like others have said, it depends on the game being hunted. Around home, in these N. GA mtns., I couldn't sneak up on a whitetail if my life depended upon it. Hunting from a stand, either in a tree or on the ground is the most productive method of hunting whitetails for me. However, I have had good success still hunting for hogs and black bears so that is my preferred method of hunting those species.

Out west, I love to glass, spot and stalk game...

Last edited by Darrell H; 06/08/2013 12:40 AM.
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Darrell H] #133108 06/07/2013 10:41 PM
Seasons44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I am not a "gear nut" but I am a fan of products that work, clothing systems paired with scent sprays,I have used the carbon products for years they do work but I believe cover scents seem to work better and with the modern systems are not as limiting as traditional carbon products.

I do fall into the mold of the "active hunter", gym rat, to quote "train hard, hunt easy" mentality. Traditionally I have been a stand hunter though I enjoy stalking as well, even though most of the areas I hunt I am limited to slowly walking and stopping since its just too thick to glass.

When stand hunting I hunt high 25 feet+ and like to set myself to get as close to game as possible. I am a management hunter I shoot more does than bucks and will pass most bucks unless they meet my size requirement, meaning heavy up top!

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Darrell H] #133120 06/08/2013 1:34 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Darrell H
 Quote:
What kind of hunter are you!

Not a very good one!

Yeah, r-r-right.....

I'm a "chance" hunter; I hunt ever chance I get. I'll hunt anything that's legal and use any method or style that's legal...which ever best suites the situation. My weapon of choice is handgun :).... and bow.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: KRal] #133126 06/08/2013 3:00 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can't stand to sit, for long.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: s4s4u] #133131 06/08/2013 1:26 PM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
I'm an opportunist, .. I hunt whenever I get the opportunity. I like to hunt alone, but that comes from the days when I was surrounded by slob hunters, I enjoy the preparation, I enjoy taking game on my own terms, I have passed up on nice bucks on thanksgiving day because a harvest would have messed up a lot of other folks plans. I like figuring out where a deer should be and then finding him, but I also like being able to capitalize on an opportunity when it presents itself.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: KRal] #133132 06/08/2013 1:30 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: KRal

I'm a "chance" hunter; I hunt ever chance I get.

Well said! I'm kicking myself that I didn't get the boat out and try my hand on some hogs after Andrea cleared out yesterday evening!

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: SChunter] #133134 06/08/2013 2:07 PM
BlueDuck Offline
stranger
stranger
I hunt on foot or from a tree stand or stump about 50/50. I do what has the best chance of working. Good quiet tracking snow keeps me moving while crunchy snow puts me on stand. I hunt most anything that's in season, and I hunt a lot.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: BlueDuck] #133140 06/08/2013 5:23 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I like spot and stalk; but have called in and killed 'yotes and bull elk, and even called in a doe deer once when calling coyotes; didn't shoot her of course. I have done my share of belly crawling through sparse cover stalking antelope and deer. Sometimes I will still hunt the timber (walk little, look much). I don't sit and wait much, and not a tree stand hunter.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Gregg Richter] #133145 06/08/2013 7:12 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use to be very hardcore hunter. It was all about the hunt, not the kill. For me the gadgets at first were cool, then they became cumbersome. Now minimal is best for me. I love sitting over a field in the morning watching the world come to life. I love stalking through a well maintained forest were control burns clear the undergrowth for a few years. Or out west spot and stalking. But actually these days it's about passing on my love of the hunt to my kids and hopefully grandkids some day. Nothing more rewarding then seeing that huge grin when your kid does everything right and connects with their quarry. Nothing in this world is more rewarding.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: cfish2] #133156 06/09/2013 10:42 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
not into the gadget thing. gun, knife, compass, pipe, tobacco, lighter, and im set to go. i do take my hunting coat and hat put it in a trash bag with some cedar boughs at the end of the season for next year. cant think it dose much good as i smell like pipe smoke anyway. still hunting is my way. im good for a hour or so sitting then i tend to fall asleep. been more than once ive unloaded the gun right where i sat. dont want a charge of night hunting, the boys in green take a dim view of that.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: bluecow] #133370 06/18/2013 10:50 PM
birddog1520 Offline
I'm a meat hunter also and definitely not a gadget type guy. I just hunt what I can when I can the best way the day allows.

Randy, The Birddog.

I'd rather be lost in the woods with my 41 Mag. Than found at home without it.
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Seasons44] #133372 06/18/2013 11:07 PM
nytracker Offline
addict
addict
I am scent control freak... have to be here in the east .I will sit in a tree stand most times but i love to still hunt .I like to work edges ... edges of wood lots .. brush lots ... swamps... ag fields and benches up on the hills in bigger woods.I have been bowhunting for a long time now ... bow hunting is trophy time ... gun season is fill the freazer time . Hunt muzzloader,bow , rifle,and now handguns.

Save liberals from them selves, stich their sphincter closed so they cant talk out their arse
Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: nytracker] #133422 06/20/2013 11:51 AM
Casull Time Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I prefer being on the ground stalking by foot, tree stands offer great advantages but just don't do it for me. Don't own a piece of Camo and don't use any scent eliminators.

I'm just happy being in the woods away from phones, computers and any other electronic devices.

Always looking for the Big One but happy filling the freezer with one not so big
\:\)

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Casull Time] #133808 07/04/2013 1:29 PM
grey owl Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Still hunting all the way! No gadgets except a call or two. I've spent a lot of time in stands and have had good results; but nothing to me beats getting on the ground putting my nose in the wind and taking the hunt to the game!

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: grey owl] #133817 07/04/2013 3:46 PM
Seasons44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
This is turning out to be a great thread, great to here the variety of approaches from across the country, keep em coming!

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Seasons44] #133819 07/04/2013 3:55 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity hunter. I like all forms, to include still hunting, stand hunting, driven hunting, spot and stalk, and I particularly enjoy running hounds. They all require a bit different skill set and technique. Variety is the spice of life.....

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Whitworth] #133957 07/10/2013 1:22 AM
Scienceguy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity hunter. I like all forms, to include still hunting, stand hunting, driven hunting, spot and stalk, and I particularly enjoy running hounds. They all require a bit different skill set and technique. Variety is the spice of life.....

I agree 100% it all depends on when, where, what, and how. I grew up hunting with hounds. Now I just have a lab for ducks.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: Scienceguy] #133971 07/10/2013 6:32 PM
thadf Offline
mostly a stand/ blind hunter. I'm in the mid west so that's a tried and true thing around here. Meat being the number one priority. Never shot a real big buck, cause I can't seem to let those delicious does walk past me!! I also hunt a farm that needs population control, so if I want to continue to have a spot to hunt, I've got to do my part. And hey, I ain't complaining!!

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: thadf] #134019 07/14/2013 3:26 AM
levergunfan Offline
stranger
stranger
Hey Guys! I'm new here but thought I'd chime.
I hunt southwest Michigan, and it is SWAMPY. I have a favorite spot picked out along a creek bottom that feeds into a large swamp basin. I've not shot tons of deer in there, but the ones I have have been decent sized. It's all about meat, and my longest handgun kill to date has been a whopping 20 ft. Blind hunting seems to be the most successful tactic right now. Still hunting just doesn't seem to bring home the venison for me. Perhaps I'm just bad at it.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: levergunfan] #134020 07/14/2013 3:53 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Still hunting just doesn't seem to bring home the venison for me. Perhaps I'm just bad at it.

It's all about the conditions. If they're not right, you're better off sitting, or pushing.

Welcome to HH

Rod, too.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: s4s4u] #134098 07/17/2013 2:03 AM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Where I live still hunting just doesn't work well. Mainly because the size of the properties most people hunt. I will say my best tree stands are hung in places I found while still hunting. I do like to still hunt or spot and stalk hogs. Going to try it this fall on elk but will just have to see how that goes.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: EricS] #134144 07/19/2013 3:50 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like to walk ridges and spot for elk in trees, etc. I like making long shots with rifles and pistols. Have made a few 800 yard shots with 308's and 6 mm and an orginal remington rolling block.
Have a shiloh sharps on order due to arrive around november. I wear hunter orange over camo. I use some scents but noise is what spooks the game more than anything. Have made 25 yard shots on many animals as well as 100-250 yard shots.
I have been sitting on a ridge and wanted to shoot the dumbass on the foir wheeler many a time. That is probably my pet peeve. If i ever get cancer and only have a few weeks to live, maybe i'll take a few of those bastards with me.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: campbellkids] #134146 07/19/2013 4:25 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
If i ever get cancer and only have a few weeks to live, maybe i'll take a few of those bastards with me.

I can think of someone else more worthy of your effort.

Rod, too.

Re: What kind of hunter are you! [Re: s4s4u] #134548 08/07/2013 3:42 AM
MrMcPorkchop Offline
I'm a simple hunter, blue wranglers, red flannel shirt, Whites logging boots. I hunt blacktails in the high elevation Northern California mountains. Sometimes sit on some high rock outcroppings and watch some high timber bowls early in the year, but mostly slow walk through the woods. Sometimes a bolt gun, but mostly hunt with lever action rifles, 30-30, 45 colt, 45-70's, or take a sixgun, .45 Colt Blackhawk, .357 Ruger GP100. I don't believe in high tech scent control, just learn to use wind to your advantage, stop hunting upwind, or learn when to let the wind blow your scent in and catch deer sneaking out from high vantage point.

Choot em!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod