Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MAGNUM PRIMERS #133664 06/30/2013 4:33 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
So what is the scoop on using these vs. standard primers in magnum pistol/handgun cartidges?

Seems like there is some discreptancy in what reloaders use in handgun cartridges: magnum or standard handgun calibers, vs. primers; magnum or standard...???

NOT asking about rifle primers in pistol cases!!!

And then throw in the spoiler: Winchester WLP primers designated on the box as "LARGE PISTOL FOR STANDARD OR MAGNUM PISTOL LOADS."

Yes, I have been reloading for 48 years: shotgun, rifle and pistol. But I ask this in good faith: Does anybody know the real ballistic stuff behind this? And of course I realize that internal (infernal) ballistics is a study on its own.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Gregg

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: Gregg Richter] #133668 06/30/2013 12:43 PM
240 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Greg,
I know what you mean. I was reloading for my .38 spl and was only able to find Small Pistol Magnum Match primers. I wasn't looking to make +P loads, so I reduced my powder charge by a half grain as recommended by the powder manufactures. Worked out fine. I haven't been able to crono these loads, but I dont see any adverse effect after firing them. These .38's were for an old J frame that I wouldn't run +P load threw.
I only have 5 years reloading under my belt so take my advise at your own risk...

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: 240] #133681 06/30/2013 5:13 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
I'll check the next time I make it to the range with my 44. I have CCI mag and some WLPs. I might have some CCI standards also.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: Gregg Richter] #133682 06/30/2013 6:12 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Winchester WLP primers designated on the box as "LARGE PISTOL FOR STANDARD OR MAGNUM PISTOL LOADS."

If it takes a large pistol primer, those are all I use.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: Gregg Richter] #133683 06/30/2013 6:27 PM
Mech 8 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have some of each, in each of the popular brands (CCI, Federal, and Winchester), and have recently discovered that my groups were cut in half by switching to Fed 155's in place of the 150's in my 45 Colt load using 13.0gr of W540 and a Sierra 240gr JHP. I then retried the load using CCI 350's, another magnum primer, and found that the groups opened up again. Why? I got no idea, but I'm sticking with the Fed 155's for that particular load.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: Mech 8] #133684 06/30/2013 6:42 PM
240 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Try reducing the load by a half a grain and see if your groups improve with the magnum primers.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: 240] #133685 06/30/2013 6:51 PM
240 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Gregg,
After rereading your question I realized I missed what you were asking... Magnum primers are "hotter" to use with typically harder to ignite BALL powders.
Sorry about that...

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: 240] #133694 06/30/2013 10:43 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: 240
Gregg,
After rereading your question I realized I missed what you were asking... Magnum primers are "hotter" to use with typically harder to ignite BALL powders. Sorry about that...

Are you sure about that?

I was under the assumption that magnum pistol primers just had a thicker cup and that was it - EXCEPT for the CCI350, as the 350 is a much hotter primer than the others just like the Federal 215 is in rifle primers.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: 7P's] #133697 06/30/2013 11:21 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
I use Winchester primers in all my hunting ammo, magnum primers use different compounds to make them burn hotter to ignite all the powder in the case,compared to standard primers. when doing load development for my 480, I experimented with standard and magnum primers, the recoil was noticeably higher with the magnum primers.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: 7P's] #133705 07/01/2013 12:05 AM
240 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Grab a couple reloading manuals, flip to the front where they go over the basics, and see for yourself. Sounds like manufacturers have their own guidelines for makeup & applications of primers. But all the manuals I checked mention Magnum Pistol primers having a hotter flame and longer duration over Standard primers, Most manuals say never interchange the two, while some articles say reduce loads when using a Magnum primer.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: 240] #133711 07/01/2013 1:22 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Follow the reloading book and you can never go wrong.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: TCTex.] #133712 07/01/2013 1:37 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
This is one of the most debated topics I have seen on gun related sights. To be honest, we don't have the equipment to test some the questions you are asking.

The only thing tangible I can tell you is this. When working load data for my 44 I found a interesting bit of data. From 16 to 17gr of 2400 with a 240gr bullet there was an audible and physical difference. It broke the sound barrer in my 4 5/8 SBH. With the mag primers it was more noticeable.

FWIW

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: TCTex.] #133765 07/02/2013 8:53 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Greg I tried all three you mentioned in the 45colt and found differing spreads. In my testing accuracy stayed hunting good but not the best it can shoot. It is a crap shoot which way differing powders responded. Federal, CCIs, WLPs all were consistent.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: TCTex.] #133800 07/04/2013 6:40 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Follow the reloading book and you can never go wrong.

I know what you are saying about reloading manuals, Duane. But from what I have learned, several of them have revised and changed (mostly DOWN) some of their suggested MAXIMUM loads in the past several years.

And also, Duayne, I subscribe to the old adage: NEVER say Never.

;\)

So...to each his own: but BE SAFE.

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: Gregg Richter] #133801 07/04/2013 6:47 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
For all the rest: Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!

Re: MAGNUM PRIMERS [Re: Gregg Richter] #133807 07/04/2013 1:07 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My friend, I understand what you are saying about lawyers and reloading manuals. A couple of things to think about. First, Some powders are actually more potent today than they were 10-20+ years ago. Alliant 2400 being a prime example. With that in mind, I am willing to bet that some other powders have followed suit. Second, chambers very from gun to gun. I have three Rugers in 44 Mag. All three of them like different loads AND all three of them have different “maximums.” The 6mm TCU is another great example of a chambering that has very inconsistent loading data which varies greatly. Just open your TC reloading manual and see for yourself. I am not trying to be rude, but just like you told me on my thread/question involving reloading 22 LR, ask yourself if it is worth it. If your goal is more oomph, buy a bigger gun. IMHO, like you have told me before, shoot what the gun likes and don’t worry about the rest of it. However, your comment of “So...to each his own: but BE SAFE” is hypocritical and not welcomed. It offended me. Go back and reread your response on my thread. 22 LR post

Again, primers are the most heated/debated thread I have seen. I know of one person who has been kicked of a sight because of a primer debate. The debate here was not pretty…
We have a long range shooter on this forum that uses standard primers in mag cases. I use mag primers in all of my revolver rounds. (Why, because I don’t feel like buying more than one primer and I have found loads that work.) I can even argue that WLP’s are mag primers. I haven’t brought it up because I do not have any tangible evidence to back up my statement, just verbal conversations from manufactures. The last time I brought it up, here, I was told I didn’t know what I was talking about and leave it to the professionals.

To all the rest, I apologies for being the cautious one.

“And also, Duayne, I subscribe to the old adage: NEVER say Never.”

That’s D-u-a-n-e…

Gregg, you ask a question on a public forum. Not a private, a public forum. If don’t like an answer you received on your thread please don’t be offended. You asked a question, I gave it a response. I actually answered your question with pertinent information pertaining to your question. I don’t care how long you have been reloading, no offence, it only takes one delusion of grandeur, or lack of insight, for an oops to happen. It takes more than a coronagraph, visual primer inspection, and judgment of how much resistance a case has when being extracted from a chamber to tell if it is in the pressure limitations of a firearm. Our reloading books tell use to look for these indications, but only in the parameters of the data listed. Hence my response of we don’t have the equipment at our disposal to test your question at hand. Your question was lugubrious of its parameters and intentions, which prompted my response which was of caution.

If you are really interested in doing research in this topic, go back and reread my second paragraph in my second post in this tread. There was tangible first hand data for you to work with. I didn’t not have a chrony at the time I was doing my load data for that gun, so that is the best information I can give you.

I have a life and I am done wasting my time with this thread. (If I didn’t have the day off I wouldn’t have been able to type this.) I am not going to look at this thread anymore. If you want to talk to me any more about it you can call me, you have my number. With that being said, I will not defame your good name behind your back. So if you have a problem with what I have said call me or drop it.

Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod