Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
James,this ones for you.... #134454 08/03/2013 5:26 PM
johnwilliams Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
While loading .454 Casull loads today on my Lee turret press I had an incident where ,maybe 3 or 4 grains of powder came out of my RCBS powder measure,don't know if some kind of air pocket occurred or what,...the point being if I didn't "eye" every case when dispensing powder ,I would have probably had a bullet stuck in my barrel,...this is the reason I had stuck with a single stage press for so many years is that I visually check all cases in a loading block for the proper amount of powder.I had determined when buying the turret press that I would still visually check every case regardless and this is the reason I have been doing so.Any way ,some of you know James had a dud load after so many years of reloading and it just goes to show that accidents/incidents ,can happen if we're not paying attention,...the thought while using this press is I don't need to look in every case but I did it anyway because in the back of my mind that's really the only way something can happen ,always check the powder is what is always going through my mind when reloading ,and its a good thing I was so paranoid today cause I could have missed it and had a big problem when shooting-john

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: James,this ones for you.... [Re: johnwilliams] #134455 08/03/2013 5:27 PM
johnwilliams Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
the charge was suppose to be 26.2 grs. of H110 under a cast 300 gr.bullet-john

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: James,this ones for you.... [Re: johnwilliams] #134459 08/03/2013 6:46 PM
nuclearweasel Offline
The best way to stay safe is to recognize that what you are doing is dangerous. It sounds likd you are doing something right, or more realisticly looking at a process the right way. Your honesty and outlook do you credit.

Did you know that there are magical animals roaming wild, converting vegetables into bacon as we speak?
Re: James,this ones for you.... [Re: nuclearweasel] #134487 08/05/2013 2:07 PM
Scienceguy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good job on finding your mistake and correcting it. Sure I would love to be able to crank out 150 rounds per hour, but I can only manage about 30.. I the end I do this out of necessity and as a hobby, production always takes a back seat to quality.

Be careful and have fun!

Re: James,this ones for you.... [Re: Scienceguy] #134492 08/05/2013 3:45 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Johnny, Is this contagious?? I also use a Lee four die press and I just let myself get to darn distracted when I loaded that 41mag without powder. Its great that you have good reload habits and spotted the mistake powder charge before you seated the bullet.... Now that I think about it.... Where would we be without the ability to reload??

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: James,this ones for you.... [Re: jamesfromjersey] #134521 08/06/2013 7:22 PM
johnwilliams Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
James ,that's the one thing that always stuck in my mind when I started reloading always check the powder charge cause that'll be what gets me hurt.I have to be honest after 29 years of reloading I was kinda letting that paranoid feeling whither in my mind,your procedures safe ,no need to check every case for powder,but in checking for 29 years I couldn't pull myself away from looking in every case and its a good thing for my beloved Ruger that I couldn't break the habit-lol-john

Re: James,this ones for you.... [Re: johnwilliams] #134522 08/06/2013 7:28 PM
johnwilliams Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
James, I have a couple of guns that have never seen a factory load,My Encore in .500 S & W and my Contender in .22 Hornet,...I love reloading and like scienceguy said about going slow,I'm slow at putting out any quantity ,I prime on my Lee Challenger and feel the depth on every case and like I said,... look in the case and check about every 7 rounds on my Lyman scale,...its slow but I love reloading so it doesn't bother me-john

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod