Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HHM Postal Shootin' Match #134603 08/09/2013 7:43 PM
s4s4u Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
It has been many years, and a whole lotta new members, since the last one so it is about time to resurect the Handgun Hunter Magazine Postal Match. Just for fun and bragging rights but we will find some way to recognize those deadeyes among us. At the end of the time period participants are asked to mail their final entries to the scorer, hence the "postal" designation.

As this is a hunting site we will concentrate on those disciplines that frequent the active handgun hunter. This exercise is all about handgun and marksman, not about gadgetry. For some guidance in field shooting positions that work, there is a fine article on the home page of this website.

There are 3 categories of cartridge, and 3 categories of shooting position. Shoot as many disciplines as your heart desires.

Rimfire, all varieties.
Straightwall, 1.8" max case length.
Bottleneck, and all others.

Position 1 - Offhand:
Irons @ 25 yards
All optics @ 50 yards
Nothing but hands on the gun and nothing but the feet or seat, if unable to stand, touching anything else.

Position 2 - Field:
Irons @ 25 yards
Dots @ 50 yards
Scopes @ 75 yards
The wieght of the gun must be supported entirely by the hands but the arms, up to the wrist joint, may contact other bodyparts (such as the knees) or objects (such as a shooting rail or sandbag). Shooting sticks, or similar devices, may be used as long as no part of the gun nor hands touch them. A carry sling may be used as an aid as long as it touches nothing but your body. You may lean your torso up against a tree, post, car or similar object to steady your hold, whether sitting or standing.

Position 3 - Rested:
Dots @ 50 yards
Scopes @ 100 yards
Similar to field position but you may also rest any part of the gun, forward of the trigger guard, on a bipod, tripod, shooting sticks, backpack, etc. Sandbags and pistol rests are okay, although the gun must be held only by the hands and neither the handle nor the hands may be rested on any surface, object, or body part.

November 1st postmark deadline for "official" entries.

The target can be printed from here:

http://lousgunwork.com/Images/Gallery/PDF/Target-Pistol-001.pdf

Groups will consist of 5 shot strings fired upon a single target, and will be measured center to center of the two holes that are the furthest apart among that string.

We can post our group measurements on this thread and the pics of the targets on the bragging board as we go, to save postage costs. I can post pics to the BB for those who have trouble with that aspect if they want to mail them or e-mail pics of them to me. At the end of the time period, the best targets can be sent in for "official" scoring. Please include cartridge info, shooting position, and sighting system when posting results.

Shoot often and update targets if they improve. This exercise is all about learning to shoot better in the field, trying new positions and loads, all to make us better handgun hunters.

Snail mail addy:
Rod Holmgren
PO Box 725
Park Rapids, MN 56470

E-mail addy:
s4sindus@yahoo.com

Shoot straight and have fun.

The grand prize is a copy of "Big-Bore Revolvers", signed by author Max Prasac

Class winners will receive national recognition and a piece of wood with their name on it ;-)

Last edited by s4s4u; 08/18/2013 2:37 PM.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: s4s4u] #134794 08/16/2013 2:17 PM
Scienceguy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ahh this sounds like a blast! I won't win but it gives me an excuses to go burn some powder!

Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: s4s4u] #134845 08/17/2013 5:23 PM
s4s4u Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Our brother Whitworth has generously offered a signed copy of his highly aclaimed book "Big-Bore Revolvers" as a grand prize. We will draw one name from the best in each discipline for the grand prize. There could be as many a nine people in the drawing unless someone bests in multiple disciplines, which could very well happen so the more you shoot the better your chances.

Thank you Max.

I will cobble out some kind of wood plaque for the class winners.

Last edited by s4s4u; 08/18/2013 12:16 AM.

Rod, too.

Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: Scienceguy] #134889 08/18/2013 2:36 PM
s4s4u Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Scienceguy
Ahh this sounds like a blast! I won't win but it gives me an excuses to go burn some powder!

It is all about having fun and burning powdwer. Since most of us are going to be getting ready for hunting season anyway we might as well make a game of it.

Rod, too.

Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: s4s4u] #134893 08/18/2013 2:58 PM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
"There are 3 categories of cartridge, and 3 categories of shooting position. Shoot as many disciplines as your heart desires."
I understand the positions but, what are the calibers? How many shots per target? Are all open sights shot at 25 yards?
Although I'm not good enough to win anything, the book is well worth having!
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: S.B.] #134896 08/18/2013 3:44 PM
s4s4u Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: S.B.
I understand the positions but, what are the calibers? How many shots per target? Are all open sights shot at 25 yards?
Steve

It is all explained in the OP Steve.

Quote:
Rimfire, all varieties.
Straightwall, 1.8" max case length.
Bottleneck, and all others.

Quote:
Groups will consist of 5 shot strings fired upon a single target, and will be measured center to center of the two holes that are the furthest apart among that string.

Quote:
Irons @ 25 yards

Rod, too.

Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: s4s4u] #135047 08/24/2013 3:06 AM
s4s4u Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Is nobody shooting? Let's see some paper!

Rod, too.

Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: s4s4u] #135452 09/08/2013 2:20 AM
Cookie125 Offline
I shot but haven't had time to post the pictures will do asap

Re: HHM Postal Shootin' Match [Re: s4s4u] #135605 09/14/2013 3:18 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Is nobody shooting? Let's see some paper!

I just started last week. Been busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, trying to get my book proofs out, etc. Things are just starting to slow down enough to start having a little fun. I posted one failure on the Bragging Board already.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod