Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trijicon RMR red dot #135075 08/25/2013 6:35 PM
Oscar Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I recently tried a Trijicon RMR 06 adjustable red dot. The dot appears fairly sharp in daylight at the range but starts to look a little more "star" or "paint splatter" shaped in low light even if I dim it to get rid of the "flare". Has anyone else seen this? It is most noticeable in very low light.

Re: Trijicon RMR red dot [Re: Oscar] #135080 08/26/2013 1:45 AM
JD HHI 6092 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have the dual illuminated RMR and I have a small star burst look in total darkness. It's the tritium that it has. It's never bothered me.

You can say that you support the troops all you want, but your actions speak louder than your words.

MSgt, USAF, (Ret)
Re: Trijicon RMR red dot [Re: Oscar] #135091 08/26/2013 12:33 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
The issue may not necessarily be the RMR so much as it is your eyes.

When you are in dim light your iris opens up, allowing more light in, but in doing this, just like a camera lens, you loose depth of field focus and allow any inconsistencies in the lens of your eye to cause the smearing or star burst of the dot. In bright light, your iris is much smaller therefore you are looking through a much smaller part of the lens, right in the center.

Red is particularly bad about this because it is at the end of the color spectrum and has more diffraction than any of the other colors.

If you have had Lasik, like me, you are specifically susceptible to this issue. In low light I have some serious issues with my red dot looking like a red smear rather than a dot.

Re: Trijicon RMR red dot [Re: 98Redline] #135152 08/28/2013 3:45 AM
Oscar Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
That explanation makes sense. Now that you mention it, my green fiber optic bow sight pin looks smaller and sharper than my red one but they are the same size. The good news is that the dot changes I'm seeing should be irrelevant for deer hunting.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 94 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod