Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy #135226 08/30/2013 7:47 PM
hmbleservant Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey guys/gals, does anyone have any experience with this handgun? I want to know what kind of MOA it holds without having work done. I'm considering it for multi-purposes, one including long range backup handgun for some of my hunting. I'm wanting to know if the gun will be good for out to 200 yards or so on southern whitetail deer. I'm aware that the cartridge is.

I can't seem to find any info on what the handgun is capable of online. Everyone wants to talk about how the "handgun is more accurate than the shooter" as a cover statement for all revolvers.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: hmbleservant] #135227 08/30/2013 8:14 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I've had one for 10 years. My friend had one that had lots of functioning and a little accuracy problems. As soon as I got mine I sent it to Ken Kelley (Mag-Na-Port) and said "make it right". It's functioned 100% perfect all these years. It does about 4" at 100 with certain bullets. It's not as good as my FA .454, but it didn't cost that much, either.
I feel I got what I paid for. I shoot and hunt with it a lot (deer and groundhogs) and will try to do something larger very soon. I'm pleased with it and I'll never get rid of it. My longest deer kill with it was around 150. 200 is possible, but that's a stretch for a revolver and the shooter.

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: wvhitman] #135228 08/30/2013 10:28 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
I love my 454 Super Redhawk! There is little difference in the accuracy of my FA 454 and SRH 454 with me pulling the trigger!
\:D

The photo above shows 50 yard groups from each gun shot with a 325 grain Swift A-frame/296 handload.

I agree with the Hitman, 200 yards is a long poke for a revolver...at least for me. My 454's begin falling rapidly beyond 125 yards. I feel comfortable taking shots out to 135 yards or so with a good rest.

Best of luck and welcome to Handgun Hunter!

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Darrell H] #135235 08/31/2013 3:11 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
when I first bought mine,I put a tasco 4X scope on her and was shooting mag tech 260 gr. softpoints ,clocking 1860 f.p.s. and grouping in the 2 -2 1/2" range at my sight in of 110 yards off a bench rest,with factory trigger -I don't remember if I kept the targets or gave them to my buddy who owns the gun shop where I live but that's plenty of accuracy for me(I shot those targets in 2000,so that's why I don't remember if I kept them or gave them to the gun shop,I do believe it might have been the latter?),...we had a few guys who were/are Smith only shooters bad mouthing the Rugers,so I had something to prove-lol...all of my Rugers are great shooters with the right bullet matched to the guns from a bench rest,...4 1/2"groups with my Redhawk .44 magnum at 150 yards with Weaver red dot sight and Hornady 180gr.j.h.p. 1700 f.p.s. and my brothers Redhawk shoots the same loads at a tad over 1800 f.p.s.,its funny how the same guns(models) are a little different when shooting the same loads-john

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Darrell H] #135239 08/31/2013 3:22 AM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The generic answer you find online is about the best. I have heard very little negative comments on the super redhawks in general. Many say they are the most accurate revolvers they own. The two post above me are seasoned handgun hunters and from my time spent here I would say they are both excellent shots. I would agree with them about the distance being a little far. When S&W came out with the 460 it was touted as a 200 yard revolver. It is a lot bigger and more powerful platform. I would say Darrel's group posted above is a pretty good group from a SRH multiply that times four and you could probably double it again since handgun bullets aren't as stable as those fired from a rifle. I think the gun is barely capable of a 200 yard shot on deer with about zero room for error. The only way I would take a 200 yard shot on game with my SRH would be a follow up shot on wounded game. Try one out on the range and see what you can do. If your capable the gun may be but I wouldn't put a guarantee on any revolver on the market being capable of making that shot every time.

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: EricS] #135243 08/31/2013 8:16 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
My experience has been somewhat different. I've had 2 SRH in 454 7.4", both purchased new. Neither shot accurately and both had significant manufacturing flaws. Groups were in the order of 4-6 inches at 50 yds from a rest.

By the same token, the reason I bought them was that I had tried a friend's SRH and it was one of the most accurate revolver I've experienced. Every manufacturer can put out the odd lemon. I may have just been unlucky.

The second SRH is now with a gunsmith hoping that it can be fixed up. (Also getting the barrel trimmed to around 5", I found the 7.5 a bit too long for comfort) There are a lot of things about the SRH I like in terms of solidity, trigger, size etc. If I can eventually get decent accuracy out of it I'll be a very happy person.

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Walkingthemup] #135246 08/31/2013 1:39 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
was that with factory loads or reloads?Guns can be problematic until the right load is found,...I shoot a lot of different loads and usually go with the most accurate,plus I was shooting from a rock solid bench rest-makes all the difference in the world-john

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Walkingthemup] #135247 08/31/2013 1:44 PM
TOBY458 Offline
I just sold a Ruger SRH 44 that had the same issues. The chamber throats were very loose, and accuracy was very spotty at best. It looked pretty good in the store, but it showed the typical Ruger roughness upon further inspection. I wish Ruger would spend a little more time smoothing there guns out, and pay more attention to detail in some areas. I love Ruger's designs on their handguns and rifles, but they just don't seem to put the last 10% in. They better hope that S&W doesn't come out with a true 44/454/475 sized frame. They will be in trouble if that happens. Unless S&W desides to screw the barrels on crooked....:)

Dyin' aint much of a livin'...is it boy?
Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: johnwilliams] #135248 08/31/2013 1:47 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
its a problem shooting past the 150 yard mark unless you have a laser rangefinder and enough time to distance the target/game because of the drop of the bullet really starts happening as you approach 200 yards,...0-150 yards I know I don't have to worry about holdover,..the red dots I use are somewhat bigger at the 150 yard range so in essence they give me the the holdover ,6-9 inchs for the .44 that I need without me guessing/holding a little higher, and when it comes to the Casull its one flat shooting beast at 150 but like I said the drop really starts going down hill when you approach that 200 yard mark

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: johnwilliams] #135250 08/31/2013 2:33 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have had nothing but good experiences accuracy-wise from all of the SRHs I have owned. While I currently don't own one in .454, I have had them and have taken a number of game animals with that chambering.

Here's a hog I shot in Florida with an SRH in .454 slinging 400 grain WFNs at 1,300 fps. That SRH wasn't finicky at all with regards to what I fed it.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Whitworth] #135251 08/31/2013 3:43 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
So here is my thought on the matter. I don't mean to come off sounding like an ass but sometime a little tough love is what is required.

Shooting a revolver at 200 yards is a serious shooters game. It takes practice, load development and time. All sorts of things come into play when you start stretching out the distance (wind drift, BC of your bullet, muzzle velocity, barrel cylinder gap, chamber alignment, throat size, barrel condition, forcing cone condition, trigger, etc...). Any one of those things being not optimal will result in your shots landing far from where you want them.

Something as small as changing the diameter of your bullet .001" can mean the difference between minute of trash can lid and minute of paper plate accuracy, and that is at 100 yards. Stretch that to 200 and things literally have to be perfect.

The guys on this site are some of the most experienced hunters/shooters I have had the pleasure to interact with as well as some exceptionally good shots. All that being said, unless you are talking about the guys shooting the contenders, encores or other single shot guns chambered in a rifle caliber, I rarely hear of anybody shooting out to 200 yards. When I do, it is 99.9% at the range and from a rock solid stable bench with sandbags.

The fact of the matter is that a revolver (I don't care who's revolver that is) is simply not the right platform for 200 yard shots. Yes I know that Elmer Keith did it, and many others have as well but those guys spent their life shooting, writing about shooting and thinking about shooting. They are the top .01% of the shooters out there.

I know that this comes off sounding very snarky or like I am on my high horse, but if you are having to ask about taking a 200 yard shot, then you really shouldn't be considering a 200 yard shot as an option.

Given all that, I think that the SRH platform is one of Ruger's best offerings for an out of the box shooter. Generally SRHs demonstrate above average accuracy. Granted there are some exceptions to that rule. In the 454 caliber, IMHO the SRH is probably the best bang for your buck. My next choice would be a Freedom Arms, but that is in a whole different price category.

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: 98Redline] #135252 08/31/2013 4:36 PM
TOBY458 Offline
I agree with the above. Plus, to me part of the allure of hunting with a revolver is having to get close. I'm sure the level of accuracy varies greatly from one shooter to the next, but the gun is also a factor at long range. I'm sure you could put a SRH in a Ransom rest and accuracy would still be questionable at 200 yds, especially considering the size of the vitals in most handgunned animals.

Dyin' aint much of a livin'...is it boy?
Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: TOBY458] #135254 08/31/2013 7:51 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TOBY458
I agree with the above. Plus, to me part of the allure of hunting with a revolver is having to get close. I'm sure the level of accuracy varies greatly from one shooter to the next, but the gun is also a factor at long range. I'm sure you could put a SRH in a Ransom rest and accuracy would still be questionable at 200 yds, especially considering the size of the vitals in most handgunned animals.

I agree. For me getting up close and personal is the draw.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: 98Redline] #135274 09/01/2013 6:15 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: 98Redline
So here is my thought on the matter. I don't mean to come off sounding like an ass but sometime a little tough love is what is required.

Shooting a revolver at 200 yards is a serious shooters game. It takes practice, load development and time. All sorts of things come into play when you start stretching out the distance (wind drift, BC of your bullet, muzzle velocity, barrel cylinder gap, chamber alignment, throat size, barrel condition, forcing cone condition, trigger, etc...). Any one of those things being not optimal will result in your shots landing far from where you want them.

Something as small as changing the diameter of your bullet .001" can mean the difference between minute of trash can lid and minute of paper plate accuracy, and that is at 100 yards. Stretch that to 200 and things literally have to be perfect.

The guys on this site are some of the most experienced hunters/shooters I have had the pleasure to interact with as well as some exceptionally good shots. All that being said, unless you are talking about the guys shooting the contenders, encores or other single shot guns chambered in a rifle caliber, I rarely hear of anybody shooting out to 200 yards. When I do, it is 99.9% at the range and from a rock solid stable bench with sandbags.

The fact of the matter is that a revolver (I don't care who's revolver that is) is simply not the right platform for 200 yard shots. Yes I know that Elmer Keith did it, and many others have as well but those guys spent their life shooting, writing about shooting and thinking about shooting. They are the top .01% of the shooters out there.

I know that this comes off sounding very snarky or like I am on my high horse, but if you are having to ask about taking a 200 yard shot, then you really shouldn't be considering a 200 yard shot as an option.

Given all that, I think that the SRH platform is one of Ruger's best offerings for an out of the box shooter. Generally SRHs demonstrate above average accuracy. Granted there are some exceptions to that rule. In the 454 caliber, IMHO the SRH is probably the best bang for your buck. My next choice would be a Freedom Arms, but that is in a whole different price category.

200 yard shooting CAN be done with a revolver. I have shot a lot of IHMSA matches with a Ruger SBH 44 mag at 200 yards. With the proper load development and practice, you can regularly knock MOST 200 meter shoot off chickens at that range. The key there, in my humble opinion, is the word MOST. In a hunting situation with a revolver, most isn't enough.

Stush
Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Stush] #135277 09/01/2013 9:10 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
for me my limit is 150 yards because after this range the bullet really starts dropping ....,now with saying that,most of my field shots from my side of the timber to the other side is right in the neighborhood of 169 yards to 179 yards ,so I know if a deer walks out I'll let him get out atleast 20 yards or so(this from the opposite field side) before I would even consider a shot and this only if the deer is stationary ,head done feeding...,and I'm carrying my SRH .454 casull most of the time so I know she 'll be flat enough for the 150 or less range and like everyone else, I like to let the deer get closer if it seems its going to come my way..., but for me 150 yards is the max limit I feel comfortable at shooting ,preferably less yardage but I don't have a prob with the 150 mark -john

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: Whitworth] #135278 09/01/2013 9:13 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Whit,now your gonna have ta get an SRH .454 casull-lol-john

Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: johnwilliams] #135284 09/02/2013 2:11 AM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
On another forum, I've read the new 5" will be out in about one month?
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: super redhawk 454 7.5" accuracy [Re: S.B.] #135290 09/02/2013 2:38 PM
linebaugh Offline
addict
addict
I've kinda brushed over this conversation in reading, and if I can throw my opinion in here. I have (years ago) shot my 454Casull in a 7.5" SRH at a 200yrd manhole cover, with a 2x Leupold.
I could hit the Manhole cover probably 3-4 out of 5 times standing offhand, and aiming about a foot above the cover.
On comparing this to a hunting situation, I personally wouldn't have the guts to take a shot like that on any wild game. Your group is will not be anywhere near close, and you'd be lucky if you didn't send it off wounded.
I agree with a majority of the guys on this forum, it's all about getting close, not long distant tagging. If the allure of long distant shooting is more inviting, I would encourage rifles, or rifle caliber pistol and a lot of range time.

//Psalms 42:1//

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod