Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good, cheap hog hunt destinations #135640 09/15/2013 10:43 PM
Lucien Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone know where the best place is to hunt really great boar without breaking the bank but provide a really great experience? Not like hunting in animal park or zoo and to have a challenge but being... Well... Cheap. Yeah, I'm cheap. I said it. I'm in a twelve step program. Thanks guys

Sean R. Kerr
Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: Lucien] #135651 09/16/2013 2:55 AM
tinkerer Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Get on a plane and come to Texas. We're having an invasion of feral hogs.

You can come to may little spread and shoot all them you want. Bring corn and bullets.

Larry
Windom, TX

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: tinkerer] #135653 09/16/2013 3:47 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Larry,

I'm interested in the same thing. Perhaps Lucien and I can work something out with you.

Doc

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: doc with a glock] #135659 09/16/2013 1:16 PM
geoexchange Offline
I hunt hogs in Oklahoma at least twice a year (it's kind of like heroin now!).

I would LOVE to have private land to hunt on, but if I can't find it, I go to Shiloh Ranch near Ada, OK. I would be extremely interested in a Texas hunt on someone's property!

At Shiloh Ranch, the owners are really great people. They typically cater to bow hunters, but are ok with firearms. I've used a Super Redhawk 44 to take anywhere from 160lb through a big old 230lb boar. The hunt is "relatively" cheap, and they have a choice of rustic air conditioned cabins or a house with three bedrooms to stay in. Every time I've been there, all of us have been successful. Hunting with a firearm is only from an elevated stand or designated ground blind - there is no spot and stalk with a firearm, but it's still a ton of fun. Lots and lots of hogs - hardest part is choosing which one to shoot (and controlling your breath and heart rate when doing so!!).

Shiloh Ranch is at http://155.212.11.42/, or search for them on Facebook. The web site has not been updated in a long time, and they book hunts fast. As of last week, the next available date was May. Best bet is to call them. Matt and Cheryl Napper are the owners, and do all the work.

I'm going back on April 28-30. I have a group of three, but they normally want to book five hunters, so two spots are open. We will be staying at the house. I will have myself (handgun), my son (Ruger 77/44), and my buddy (handgun) those three days. Most shots are late evening in low(er) light, dense woods, and less than 25 yards. I know we don't know each other, but I'd rather hunt with guys from this forum than those strange guys with sticks and strings.... -just kidding, I like bow hunters too...

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with Shiloh Ranch. A friend asked me to go who had been going there for years, and I have never regretted it. The owners are REAL southern folks, and expect the same sort of respect and behavior that all hunters should have. I have seen people that were disrespectful to them or the ranch be asked to leave or not come back. They are picky about who they have on their ranch and can and should be. If you are not a polite, respectful lady or gentleman, you would NOT have a good time hunting there. What I'm saying, is that if you are a smart-a$$, or a "know it all", or take a stupid or bad shot, or are not smart enough to practice and be proficient before you go, don't expect to be treated very well when they have to chase down YOUR wounded boar in the dark! They are real outdoors people, and Matt and Cheryl have trophies from all over the country/world that would make us all jealous!

I don't normally tell a lot of people about this place, for fear of not getting hunts booked, but it is a great place. Inexpensive, comfortable, and tons of fun. They also offer some ram hunting and other exotics, but the hogs are just too much fun for me!

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
NRA RSO
NRA Shotgun Coach Level I
IN DNR/4H Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Pistol Instructor
Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: geoexchange] #135700 09/17/2013 4:00 AM
tinkerer Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Well, if you came to my place, it would be real rustic, as in nothing. But I only have 55 acres. There are several spreads around me and maybe we could organize a group effort.

Don't know, but we can investigate it if there is real interest.

Look up Windom, TX, I am about 4 miles due south.

Larry

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: tinkerer] #135706 09/17/2013 11:33 AM
geoexchange Offline
55 acres is plenty if you've got the hogs! (And for me you are only about an hour further than Ada, OK)

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
NRA RSO
NRA Shotgun Coach Level I
IN DNR/4H Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Pistol Instructor
Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: geoexchange] #135725 09/17/2013 9:22 PM
tinkerer Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I'll ask around the surrounding owners and see if they're interested as well.

I'll post details.

Larry
Tinkerer

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: tinkerer] #135726 09/17/2013 10:11 PM
Ryan 500L Offline
What all do you need to hunt with in Texas? I live in Oklahoma and I think a license is all you need. I'm looking for a place myself to hunt hogs. thanks

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: tinkerer] #136950 10/21/2013 7:04 PM
MattC Offline
stranger
stranger
I know I'm a month late on this thread, but if there has been progress on this project, I would be interested as well.

A wintertime trip to a warmer climate would be nice. And meat in the freezer would be great, too.

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: MattC] #137081 10/23/2013 12:30 PM
TOBY458 Offline
The bars are full of hogs down here in Georgia, and the hunting is best on Friday and Saturday night! Oh sorry! You meant real hogs.....
From what I've seen, Texas looks like the way to go for ranch hunting. Georgia has plenty, but people don't seem to want to let you hunt on their land, even if they want the hogs gone.

Dyin' aint much of a livin'...is it boy?
Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: TOBY458] #137085 10/23/2013 2:24 PM
Subsciber Offline
Wait a minute Toby, those are SOWS in the GA bars not hogs. Maybe he is looking for a trophy boar not just a good eatin' sow.

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: Subsciber] #137102 10/23/2013 11:27 PM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hogs in bars, barred hogs, Either way there is a place called middle Georgia game farm. I haven't been there but they are as cheap as any hunt I have seen. They offer half day guaranteed hunts so you may be chasing a hog around a five acre enclosure or it could be a decent hunt. Thinking about giving them a try after deer season is over. For the most part you get what you pay for but this place is cheap enough to give it a try and find out.

Re: Good, cheap hog hunt destinations [Re: EricS] #137129 10/24/2013 1:58 PM
TOBY458 Offline
I had a guy tell me he went to a place that advertized trophy hog hunting. He said they literally rattled a corn bucket and the hogs showed in no time. He didn't shoot a hog and didn't pay. So....yes I'd say some research is in order...
Now back to those sows....;)

Dyin' aint much of a livin'...is it boy?

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod