Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
.222 or .223 for Vermin and Targets..... #9108 06/24/2005 5:31 PM
Hawkeye Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have a chance to get a SSK .222 15" Contender barrel like new. I have been struggling with this question. I have a 14" .223 Contender barrel from TC now but I really like the SSK barrels. I have three now. On all of the sights I can find about these two rounds, there is not must difference in the velocity or case capacity. Any ideas. I know, more barrels are better and The one who has the most barrels in the end, wins. I will have to buy the complete Contender with frame, scope, grips and barrel to get the .222 but that is okay because I move the other stuff. Ideas?

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: .222 or .223 for Vermin and Targets..... [Re: Hawkeye] #9109 06/24/2005 5:55 PM
tommyn Offline
If I wanted a SSK barrel and could get one in 222 I would. I have shot 222's, 223 and 223 wildcats, 222 mag and 222 mag wildcats in BR in the 70's and contrary to popular belief the 222 isn't any more accurate than the other cases. If fact more 223 wild cats were shot before the PPC than 222's. The extra vel helped to dope the wind. There was one 100 group by the 222 that was .009 but that was one group out of millions that have been shot. I have a 222 and 222 mag TC barrel now and using good loading practice and good quality bullets with the right powder for the case they are equal. I have had several 223 contender barrels and they were equal to the barrels I have now. I have a 221 OTT barrel that is more accurate than my other 22 cal barrels and I feel that is due to the excellent work of Mike at OTT and his having control of chamber size, necks and general quality control he has. Just my opinion and that is worth what you paid for it

Re: .222 or .223 for Vermin and Targets..... [Re: Hawkeye] #9110 06/24/2005 11:10 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
The 223 is cheap to shoot as far as factory loaded ammo and easy to find, the 222 not so easy. I think the velocity and performance is splitting hairs. So if the SSK appeals to you go for it. Half the fun of shooting is shooting something you kike.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: .222 or .223 for Vermin and Targets..... [Re: Hawkeye] #9111 06/25/2005 6:12 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
I think there will be the likelihood of as much differences in accuracy and velocity (terminal bullet performance) in the Custom vs Factory Barrel than there will be in the two cartridges themselves (actually between like barrels for that matter, as not all barrels and chambers are created equal).

Given the powders and bullets available today vs when these cartridges were developed I think the differences are smaller than originally thought. Also when these cartridges were developed they used different twist barrels and different weight bullets in factory ammo. This also may or may not have had an effect of the merits of each cartridge in the beginning.

I am sure with the proper bullet in either cartridge you should be able to shoot all the varmints you ever want to shoot with a .22 centerfire in a handgun.

Like has already been said, if you like varmint cartridges, and if you like SSK Barrels then by all means add another barrel to the stable.

Personally I have always liked the .223. I always seemed to be able to develope good accurate loads for my intended varminting uses. Another consideration for me was the inexpensive military brass. Back when I was going Prairie Dog Hunting a couple times per year I would have 1000 to 2000 rounds of .223 ammo on hand most of the time. Using military brass I obtained for little or nothing helped the cost savings in having that much brass and ammo on hand.

Larry

Last edited by Larry in SD; 06/25/2005 6:14 PM.

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: .222 or .223 for Vermin and Targets..... [Re: Larry in SD] #9112 06/26/2005 12:02 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
Got a buddy of mine that's SERIOUS about his load development/reloading techniques. He's an absolute pefectionist to the point of when he's neck turning his brass he won't do anything else-- watch TV, etc. he says the only way to do it right is to be able to feel the cutter working-- i tell u what a perfectionist. All this for tight-necked AR's of all things. I've seen the gps. this guy shoots in the ones out of his custom AR's. He says that he gets comparable accuracy out of his match-prepped military el-cheapo brass, as he does Lapua, as long as no steps r compromised. With this in mind i see no reason to select anything else really-- IMO only, of course.

Steve

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod