Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter #9123 06/26/2005 7:28 PM
Debbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am considering getting a Ruger New Model Single Six in 17hmr and putting a red dot scope on it. It comes with Ruger scope rings, but they are in 1 inch size, and the red dot scopes generally have 30mm tubes. The revolver also apparently works with "tip-off rings" designed for 3/8 inch dovetailed receivers. I was wondering whether anyone knows whether such tip-off rings come in 30mm size, and also whether they would fit in such a way on the gun that I would be able to use a Red Dot scope on this gun.
Also, anyone have this gun? How do you like it? How do you find the 17hmr in a handgun compared with 22LR? What do you hunt with it? I intend to hunt jackrabbit, maybe squirrel and cottontail.

Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Debbie] #9124 06/26/2005 7:46 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Debbie,

First, welcome to the site and to answer part of your question; I have a 22 Single Six Hunter and I like it a lot. The Ruger scope rings can be purchased in 30 mm that would fit into the existing indentations for the standard rings. Ruger Link

I hunt squirrels with mine and prefer a scope with some magnification because I'll take some rather long shots here in the eastern hardwoods. I don't have a 17 but have shot them. They seem to do considerably more damage to small game than the 22 LR and the rounds are pretty expensive in comparison. I shoot Aguila Super Extra HP's in mine and it will put bullet holes touching at 25 yards for a cylinder full.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Gary] #9125 06/26/2005 7:53 PM
Debbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks, Gary for the input. I am glad the Ruger rings come in 30mm also. I have a rifle in 17hmr, and comparing it to the results from my 22lr rifle I do notice the 17 is more devastating. However, on my first handgun hunt this month, I shot a jackrabbit 3 times with a 22lr pistol before he died, and would have preferred to kill him faster. I thought maybe a 17 might be more humane because it would be (if I hit the right area) a faster kill. The other thing, is that 17hmr is an inherently more accurate cartridge than the 22lr, and maybe the 17mach2 is also, and I wanted to see if my accuracy might improve with this. Although at short distances of handgun hunting I don't know if the difference would be that much.
Don't you find that a normal scope with magnification causes the image of the target to bounce around too much to take good aim? (Especially when entirely handheld, not resting the revolver on anything)

Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Debbie] #9126 06/27/2005 2:28 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
WELCOME to the site Debbie!! I have been looking at the Hunter in 17 HMR/Mach 2. Might just have to get one soon.

Quote:

Don't you find that a normal scope with magnification causes the image of the target to bounce around too much to take good aim? (Especially when entirely handheld, not resting the revolver on anything)

You are right the more magnification the more it shows how unsteady the gun is. Especially in the free hand position. About the only way to improve this is practice, practice, practice.........and more practice. When hunting I try to use a rest whenever possible.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Debbie] #9127 06/27/2005 4:16 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
As far as the wobble is concerned you just have to learn to ignore it and that will come through a lot of practice. What bullet were you using with the rabbit? I always use a hollow point on game and the faster the better as long as the accuracy holds out. I nearly always go for head shots but will take a shoulder shot sometimes if the shot is a long one. If you're new to handgun hunting then consider how much you want to practice and the cost of ammo in your decision. I assure you with proper shot placement and bullet selection the 22 LR is plenty for rabbits & squirrels at reasonable distances.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Gary] #9128 06/28/2005 3:41 AM
Debbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Gary: I don't know for sure what type of bullet I used on the jackrabbit. I had 2 different boxes with me: Winchester Dynapoint (40gr HP) and Federal(36gr, HP). One shot went into the upper chest area, and it didn't go all the way through the animal, so I thought it didn't have enough energy. But maybe it wasn't supposed to go all the way through. I try for head/upper chest shots, but with a running rabbit and a pistol I sometimes hit elsewhere. On this one I got a hip, head and chest shot.As to scope wobble, maybe it will just take practice to perfect my shooting when using magnification. There is some wobble already with the red dot scope, and what I try to do is go for a quick pull on the trigger when the dot is in the right spot. Is that how you shoot?

Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Debbie] #9129 06/28/2005 5:27 AM
slavage Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
i heard that if u call ruger costomer service they will exchange your 1 inch rings for 30 mm so give them a yell an see what they say might only cost you a few $$ in shipping

Re: Question on Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter [Re: Debbie] #9130 06/28/2005 10:54 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Debbie...as you become more proficient with a handgun the scope reticle wobble and giggle will tighten up and turn into a controlable floating motion. The crosshairs will float on the target while you steadily squeezing the trigger. This is why a good action job on a handgun is so very important...a smooth trigger with very little, to no overtravel makes the job of squeezing during the float much easier. As you get better the amount that you float will also tighten but never really go away. You NEVER want to get into the habit of yanking the trigger...this leads to flinches.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod