Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rabbit anatomy question #9143 06/27/2005 5:50 AM
Debbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have a question about jackrabbit anatomy. I recently shot a jackrabbit and in preparing it to eat, noticed that on the liver there is a small bag-like gland, and was wondering if anyone knew what that was. Bile gland? In one lrabbit iver it looked like it was yellowish, in another it was dark colored. Attached to the liver. By the way, the heart and liver of the jackrabbit taste quite good. Next comes tenderizing the meat of the rest of it...
Deb

Re: Rabbit anatomy question [Re: Debbie] #9144 06/27/2005 6:41 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Debbie, you may want to check with your local fish and game office. I'm in central oregon, I don't eat rabbits but once in a while I help thin the population, not too long ago I was talking to a local biologist and he told me if I was going to eat them to wear latex gloves when cleaning them and to look for some type of discoloration on the liver, I wasn't paying real close attention because I don't plan on cleaning any but he said it was some type of disease that could be passed on to humans.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Rabbit anatomy question [Re: wapitirod] #9145 06/27/2005 11:56 PM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Debbie,

The yellow or green bag attached to the liver of a rabbit is the gall bladder. It secretes bile into the intestines to help digest food. It will vary in color from yellow to green depending on what the rabbit is eating and how long ago it ate. In response to wapitirod's concerns, the disease the fish and game people are likely talking about is tularemia. It is spread by ticks, infected rabbits/carcasses, and contaminated water or soil among other things. To avoid infection you should wear gloves whenever you handle rabbit carcasses. Cooking will kill the bacteria that causes tularemia so avoid eating it if it isn't fully cooked. Antibiotics will effectively treat a person that gets infected so if you have fever, chills, headache, sore throat, or swollen lymph nodes shortly after (4-5 days) handling or eating a rabbit, you should see your doctor immediately. Interestingly enough most people get infected when they are clearing brush, or mowing the lawn and inadvertently aerosolize the bacteria. Overpopulation helps spread the disease between rabbits so by all means continue to help thin the population with the handgun of your choice, just make sure to wear gloves!!!

Jarod Hanson (DVM student, class of 2006 U of MN)

Re: Rabbit anatomy question [Re: Debbie] #9146 06/28/2005 1:44 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit! Sorry, I just had to do that!! Dan B made me do it!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Rabbit anatomy question [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #9147 06/28/2005 1:47 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Gerry...do you ever make a post anymore without using my name!

Re: Rabbit anatomy question [Re: bobhanson1] #9148 06/28/2005 3:21 AM
Debbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
thanks a lot Jarod for the gall bladder info. I process all my rabbits and squirrels while wearing gloves, and have heard of tularemia. Actually I read something helpful in a book on rabbit hunting about what wapitirod wrote. When tularemia is present, there are often White spots on the liver of the infected animal. So I plan to inspect the livers of all rabbits and not eat any with white spots on them.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod