Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hearing protection #138356 12/03/2013 2:40 AM
Festus Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I love hunting with my 44, but I cant hear where the deer are.
I got a pair of amplification headphones with cut off.
But I cant tell which direction anything is?
Was bad tonight as I heard something running in (it was a dog) but I was frantically scanning where it was coming from.
Thought it was in front of me, was to my right.
Part of it is I have hearing loss in my left ear anyway.

Any advice?

Re: hearing protection [Re: Festus] #138360 12/03/2013 3:27 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've used some of the electronic headphones before, but like you said, you can't hear which direction the sound is coming from, and they become uncomfortable to wear after a while.

What I do is carry a set of headphones and put them on prior to shooting. It's cost me a shot on a deer before, but I'd rather lose my shot opportunity than my hearing.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: hearing protection [Re: Chance Weldon] #138363 12/03/2013 3:59 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
l dont big game hunt with ear muffs...l need to know where the game sounds are,,plus,,l get rush when pulling the trigger on a deer.. l cant really remember HEARING the gun on a big game shot... l do use them while shooting prairie dogs because of the number of rounds.. l dont use them while shooting my 17HMR on ground squirrels. When target shooting l use muffs and plugs

Re: hearing protection [Re: sw282] #138367 12/03/2013 4:52 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I've used pro-ears predator gold version for quite a while and don't have that problem. They aren't the best for range work but the best I've used for hunting. They aren't cheap but comparable to top-shelf electronic ear pro.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: hearing protection [Re: Gary] #138368 12/03/2013 5:26 AM
Jeff686 Offline
I use Howard Leight Impact Sport. They do make it a little tougher for directional sound, but if you slowly swivel your head you can pinpoint direction. They work kind of like vision if it's in the field in front of you you can hear direction well, but if it's outside of that you have to move the mics toward the sound. Also, the loss in detecting direction as easily is made up for in sound amplification. That's aside from the obvious not losing your hearing. It doesn't cut out the sound of the gun shot, but makes it quieter. I can differentiate the sound of different loads/guns.

Not having the directional problems would be cool. Gary do your's function similarly when it comes to hearing shots and amplification?

Re: hearing protection [Re: Gary] #138369 12/03/2013 5:42 AM
RedSS Offline
I've tried regular ear muffs, electronic muffs, electronic "ear buds", and the cheap foam disposable ear plugs. The muffs are bulky and cumbersome to don/doff and the "buds" are uncomfortable and easily lost (my first pair is still somewhere out in the woods after a single morning hunt), and both the electronic "buds" and muffs don't allow you to pinpoint the location/direction of sound, which is kinda important when hunting. I've settled on the disposable plugs. If I see game and have a few seconds to slip them in, which is most of the time, great. If not, I shoot sans protection. Everything's a trade-off.

Re: hearing protection [Re: Jeff686] #138370 12/03/2013 5:51 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Some electronic earmuffs have a single microphone and a single volume control. As a consequence you'll never get the stereo effect and therefore will be unable to judge sound direction.

Look for models that feature separate microphones for left and right. That way you'll retain stereo hearing and be able to tell direction.

Lately I've been using Pro Ear Pro Tac Mag Gold. Very expensive but the best earmuffs I've ever used. Previously I used (still keep them in the truck as a spare) a set of Peltor Tactical 6-S. Both the Pro Ears and the Peltor had separate left & right microphones and allowed me to detect sound direction. I also had a set of generic electronic muffs given to me for range work. They only had one microphone and are useless for picking up direction.

Re: hearing protection [Re: Walkingthemup] #138371 12/03/2013 10:40 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Gget a set of foam plugs with a stem and a string. Pass the string through the top button hole on shirt. It takes a few seconds to push them into your ears. Usually dont need to wait to expand. They are cheap but do their job. Hearing once lost is gone forever, protect it as much as possible.

Re: hearing protection [Re: campbellkids] #138375 12/03/2013 12:13 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I like the pro ears predator gold as well. My wife liked them as well, and ended up with a pair also. They have a separate mic and volume control on each side. We have found it pretty easy to pin point sound direction with these. I have partial loss in my left ear as well, so I turn up the volume slightly on that side, then I'm good to go.

They do get to be an irritation after almost a full day of hunting, but I suppose anything would. They've worked for us, and although a bit pricey, they have been well worth the money.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: hearing protection [Re: Gary] #138376 12/03/2013 12:14 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Gary
I've used pro-ears predator gold version for quite a while and don't have that problem. They aren't the best for range work but the best I've used for hunting. They aren't cheap but comparable to top-shelf electronic ear pro.

X2 on this. I can hear directional noise very well. My only problem I hunt hear some grain bins/driers and the muffs amplifie that to much if its running. But other than that I won't go out without them

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: hearing protection [Re: tyler.woodard04] #138393 12/03/2013 9:37 PM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I carry the foam ear plugs all the time. I use the vacuming, in the wood shop, even in movie theaters sometimes. I've used loud stuff all my life, and recently wore them 60+hrs a week because I'd rather hear my grandkids than loud machines.
But I hunt open eared. I just need the input. I hunt small areas and it is mostly ear work. Not just hearing something, but knowing if it is deer or squirrel. If I stop a deer with an open ear shot, I'll finish them with plugged ears.
As to the 'not hearing' the kill shot, yes, you don't hear it, but the damage is no different to your ear. That is a process of the brain, not the ear.
Be safe, and have fun,
Dogsbreath

Re: hearing protection [Re: tyler.woodard04] #138409 12/04/2013 3:27 AM
Redhawk500 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Dillion electronic ears have individual volume controls, easily replaced batteries and slim profile. Squirrels now scare me to death LOL.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod