Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Confused New Guy!! #9167 06/28/2005 3:32 AM
hntrjohn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello everyone--thought I would jump in here and introduce myself although i'm still tryin' to figure out how all this works (computer illiterate) My name is John, I live in Wayne county NY (for now) I am an avid hunter, Also a certified Hunter Safety instructor for NY State. I shoot year round & hunt with handguns every season, although I do take out the smokepole and bow on occasion. I have to many firearms to list but my favorites are my Ruger SBH in 44 mag and my S&W 4" 500 mag. I am in the process of purchasing a SBH in 45 LC. Didnt know Ruger was makin it but found them online. I also use my S&W 657 41 mag (Doe tags) on my property for meat. Hoping to go to Texas in August to visit family and maybe take a Hog or two with the 500. Anyway, really like this forum. Think its really a great idea to get input from fellow hunters around the nation (and across the ponds). Hope to get some ideas and maybe help out with my input when possible. Thanks for a great site.

Re: Confused New Guy!! [Re: hntrjohn] #9168 06/28/2005 3:58 AM
bigbore50ak Offline
stranger
stranger
nice to meet you im jason from nc indiana. hope to here more from you

Re: Confused New Guy!! [Re: hntrjohn] #9169 06/29/2005 12:20 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
COOL!! Welcome!! Another New Yorker, I think we got the PA boys out numbered. Look out Gerry and Dan B!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Confused New Guy!! [Re: hntrjohn] #9170 06/29/2005 3:50 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
howdy! sounds like yer a revolver fan nuthin wrong with that fer sure. i love revolvers.........and the big specialty pistols too! got any of those babies? contender....encore....striker or xp-100?

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Confused New Guy!! [Re: KYODE] #9171 06/30/2005 1:32 AM
hntrjohn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
You got it KYODE, i do prefer the wheelguns when it comes to hunting, i do own several auto loaders but mostly for defensive carry and target/plinking. i don't have any specialty guns at present, however a friend of mine who is quadraplegic uses the Stiker 300wsm. I have had the opportunity to shoot this firearm and it is sweeeeet! He also has a Striker .308 and wants to sell it. I've been considering it but after shooting he 300 wsm i think id be sorry. I did have an Encore in 44 mag but after reading some of the ATF website and doing some research i found that my encore frame left the factory as a long gun and according to Federal law, thats a no-no. So i had to part with that barrel to a family member with a pistol frame. Now im considering getting a varmint caliber barrel when i get a "LEGAL" frame to go with it.Theres a lot of folks out there that dont realize they have an illegal firearm when converting from long gun to pistol with the Encore, Contender/G2. I know people here that have them on their permits (the permit offices let them do it because, THEY DONT KNOW THE LAW EITHER). However, according to the Sgt of the State police in charge of the pistol permit division here in NY, if people are caught with an illegal firearm conversion, the defense of "the pistol permit office let me" ain't gonna cut it. So Buyer beware!! In case anyone is in doubt you can call Thompson and give them the serial number of your frame and they can tell you if that particular frame left the factory as a long gun or pistol. You never know especially if you pick one up at a gun show or private party purchase.

Re: Confused New Guy!! [Re: hntrjohn] #9172 06/30/2005 8:52 PM
WNY_Whitetailer Offline
Hey there John...Welcome to the site...Good to see another NY'er...Especially one with handguns...My favorite shooter is my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44mag...

Patience comes with age and you can't teach common sense
Re: Confused New Guy!! [Re: hntrjohn] #9173 07/08/2005 10:49 AM
Chief RID Offline
You don't sound confused to me Hntrjohn. Welcome to the best information site dedicated to handguns in the world. Don't look at me that way! I do have opinions, you know.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod