Next Thread
Print Thread
scoping handguns #9175 06/29/2005 1:09 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Im sure all of you who use scopes on your revolvers for hunting
have a favorite setup. I am interested in scoping a handgun for hunting and would like your input on brands of scopes as well as mounts and rings (I have a stainless 629 smith). Also I was thinking a fixed two power, what is your opinion on this magnification for big game hunting, I use mostly leupolds on my rifles, I do have one sightron and like it o.k. but I dont think it is in the same class as leupold. It
is the entry level model so Im sure that their premium models are just that. I have to go load up some 320gr loads for my 44, Im using hodgdon lil'gun, anybody try this? Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: scoping handguns [Re: joe2] #9176 06/29/2005 1:27 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
The Leupold scope is hard to beat. I have 3, a 4X and two 2X. The 4X is a little tougher for quick target acquisition than the 2X, but after some practice it's not all that bad. I like the 2X on my revolvers. Right now I have a 4X on a SRH 480 and the 2X on a single six. The other 2x is in limbo right now, can't decide which gun to put it on, the DW 445 or the 44 SRH.

I have about 400 rounds thru the 480 and not even a hickup from the scope. I even droped the gun from about 4 feet on the scope right on a cement driveway. Went to the range and checked zero, dead on. That was about the 200 round mark. It's still ticking just has a bad mark on the occular bell thats all.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: scoping handguns [Re: Tigger] #9177 06/29/2005 1:28 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: scoping handguns [Re: joe2] #9178 06/29/2005 4:02 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i shoot a 2x burris on my 7 1/2" redhawk and also my 14" 44 mag contender. i think it's a good balance between field of view and range of the 44mag.
leupold and burris 2x scopes have a wide field of view. i like that, especially on a revolver.
i had no trouble viewing 200 meter steel rams at my first sillywet outing a few days ago with a 2x burris on my 14" 44 contender. loved knockin them babies over

i'm not knowledgable on mounting up S&W's with scopes n mounts.....so hopefully someone can share what they use. i'm quite fond of the ruger factory ring system on my redhawk.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: scoping handguns [Re: joe2] #9179 06/29/2005 5:49 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have always been a die hard leupold and burris guy but I recently noticed that the bushnell elite 3200 has constant eye relief through all magnification, the only other variable scope I know of like this is the leupold with a price tag of about 470.00 opposed too 275.00 for the bushnell. I purchased the bushnell and mounted it on my 375jdj and was so happy with it that I replace my 2x leupold on my S&W 500 with a second bushnell. So far both scopes are holding up great, the bushnell may not be quite as bright as the leupold but for a savings of 200.00 I can live with that, and like I said I have always been a die hard leupold guy as I own 11 of them. I mount most of my scopes with leupold hardware since it is all steel construction and I have never had a scope slip on anything I own, from my 243 to my 375 ultra mag or my 500 or 375jdj.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: scoping handguns [Re: wapitirod] #9180 06/29/2005 2:15 PM
JRMoore Offline
I'm not knocking anybody here, but I have always had problems with quick target acquistion through Leupold pistol scopes....I much prefer Burris in 2,4,7, and the variable 3x12's over any of the Leupolds.....I even have a few of the older Tasco EER 4X's that are much better than the Leupolds in my opinion.....

Find someone, or ask your salesperson to let you take a few views through what they have to offer.....decide for yourself what's fits your purpose and budget!!

JRMoore

JRMoore With God all things are possible !!!
Re: scoping handguns [Re: joe2] #9181 07/01/2005 3:04 AM
WNY_Whitetailer Offline
Joe...I would recommend a Jack Weigand scope mount. I have one for my Super Blackhawk Hunter and it is rock solid and well worth the money I spent. For the type of hunting I do I prefer a red dot site as it allows me to quickly acquire my target and follow through with a well placed shot. Of course, it is pretty thick where I like to hunt so I usually have no shots over 40 yards anyway and the absence of magnification is not a problem.

Patience comes with age and you can't teach common sense
Re: scoping handguns [Re: joe2] #9182 07/01/2005 2:47 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Joe,

As far as scopes are concerned the other folks have pretty much covered it but you might be able to use the warne scope mounting system if your gun is already drilled & tapped for mounts. The newer guns have holes drilled under the rear sight assembly and will accept a scope base. Have a look at the warne quick detach system if you think you might not always want to have it scoped or would have occasion to swap out scopes from time to time.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: scoping handguns [Re: Gary] #9183 07/01/2005 6:22 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Gary has a good point, I have the warne quick release ruger mounts on my #1 458lott and they are rock solid and always return to a near perfect zero.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: scoping handguns [Re: Gary] #9184 07/02/2005 5:09 PM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the advice folks, Gary I have been looking at the warne mounts already but the wiegand mounts are much lighter. my Smith 629 is a first model so I will have to have it drilled and tapped for what ever mount I choose. This handgun was built
in 1984 and when I bought it, it also came with two boxes of factory loaded stuff, of which three rounds were expended in one of the boxes. I was told that the fellow which originally purchased this firearm only fired it these three times and didnt care for the noise and recoil, so he put it away in his closet until recently. I have put about 150 rounds through it so far and it seems fairly accurated but I dont know how accurate till I get a scope on it so as to compensate for my bad eyes. If I want more accuracy out of this handgun after I scope it and work out the handloads what gunsmith modifications would any of you recommend? I am very much into accurising long guns but I am a rookie when it comes to handguns. Also what forms of shooting rests do you folks use for load development and sight-in with a handgun? I use sand bags over my rifle bench.

Thanks to every one for your replies.

Re: scoping handguns [Re: joe2] #9185 07/06/2005 1:38 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, My scope is on its way. I chose a Leoupold FX II 2x20 on leupold DD rings and base for my Smith. Thank you for the replies everyone it is much appriciated.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod