Next Thread
Print Thread
Naked or Topped Off #139648 12/29/2013 11:42 AM
mike.44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
........revolvers that is?
Do you mainly hunt with, a fixed sighted revolver, or a scope/dot?

Why do I ask? I have several revolvers in all sorts of calibers..44spls, 44 mags, 45 Colts, and a 500 JRH, are what come to mind. I have several different optics: Ultradot 30, Vortex Razor reflex, Burris scopes, Leupold scopes, etc. I am 50 yoa with 50 year old eyes. When I mount optics on them they feel awkward. I have the bogpod with the PSR attachment. But these rigs seem so "busy" if you know what I mean. The optics sit up kinda high, they throw off the balance, etc. I set these rigs up but don't find the will to go wring them out at the range because they seem to take the joy out of the pure fun of shooting. A "naked" gun is more simple, streamlined, and handy.

The other side of me says be practical......you need to wear some corrective lenses when shooting. It tells me to get all the accuracy I can out of the gun and put the optics on it.

My vision is not all that bad. I only wear glasses sometimes. But I don't have 20 yr old eyes either. If I could shoot open sighted ethically to 100 yds I would be ecstatic. I am fine with practicing all that I can and hope to be able to shoot much more when/if I get to move to days in March. I am also fine with getting glasses for hunting and shooting. I sure don't know what to ask for. If I get glasses for distance(which I have), then the sights are fuzzy. If I get glasses set for clearing up my sights, then the target gets blurry. I don't want a blurry target when shooting at game.....do I?

I apologize for my tirade. I just want to take the right route. So, do I stop b*%#@ing about the optics and "just get used to it?" Or, do I go naked and check with my eye doctor? If I go the Optometrist route, what do I ask for?

I know others may have gone, or are going through, the same stuff. Maybe this will help someone else out too. What do you think?

Mike

Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: mike.44] #139649 12/29/2013 12:05 PM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
Myself, I put off getting my eyes done til I really needed it. Looking back, that was dumb. [cataracs] Why would you not want to see better? I can't think of a logical explanation for that reasoning. As far as optical aides for your weapons, [IMHO] I want to shoot as well as possible within my limitations. If a red dot or scope will help I would go with it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: dhom] #139653 12/29/2013 2:21 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I agree with going to the doc. Have you considered lasik eye surgery? My mom did it when she was about 50, and she wishes she had done it sooner. She doesn't wear glasses at all now, and has 20/20 vision. I know there are some people that the surgery won't help, but just thought I'd mention it. I would imagine the surgery could be a bit pricey, but if you were blind, how much would you give to have your vision back? Just my .02

As far as scoped vs naked....

I think there is a realm for both. I have a naked 500JRH, a naked 45 colt, a scoped 460, and a scoped 22. I think it is all in the intended use. My scoped 460 can go 200 yards easily. On the other hand, I won't use my 45 colt passed 50 yards, yet. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "If I could shoot open sighted ethically to 100 yards I would be ecstatic".

Keep the high ethical standard, shoot as far as ya can, and enjoy it! If the doc comes up with a better solution for ya, go for it!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: Raptortrapper] #139660 12/29/2013 3:49 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I had to get Glasses at 61. The sights were fuzzy on all my guns.Shot my first rifle match wearing tri focal glasses,
it was great to be able to see open sights again,won the match. I love to strtch the range on my guns and shoot out to 400 yds or so all the range I can safely get [on steel and paper.] My hunting guns [I carry two] wear glass for anything over 60 yds. Open sights for 60 and under or when walking up on downed game. I don't have twenty year old eyes or reflexes any more so I use what works best for hunting the game and conditions I hunt.I don't have to keep up with the young gang anymore[even though I want to ] I am comfortable with where,and who I am at 61, and my limitations.
I love clean lines on my guns as much as anyone but use what works, my scoped guns are pretty too,they work!!!!!Naked or topped? I use both.

Last edited by junebug; 12/29/2013 3:51 PM.

junebug
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: junebug] #139661 12/29/2013 3:53 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Now days mostly 'topped'.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: Russell] #139667 12/29/2013 4:03 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Russell
Now days mostly 'topped'.

Me2

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: s4s4u] #139673 12/29/2013 7:03 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Mike,

I guess my first suggestion would be to not be angry about the choices, nor frustrated. We have so many more options than the folks did, even 20 years ago. It can at times be overwhelming trying to sort things out, but the flip side would be iron sights only, and shortening your distances or even being forced to use a rifle.

I too struggle with exactly what you are describing. I decided to make a custom mount for my FA 83 whereby I can use irons, a small dot or a small scope. The folks who say a scope looks funny on a 4 3/4" gun can have their opinion. I also have modified leather to accomodate all three options. It does suck to get older and have to make compromises.

As to your eyes, my recommendation is once you move, find an eye doctor who is at least gun friendly.I know I have seen articles in various NRA publications over the years discussing the ins and outs. If you are a member, perhaps give them a shout for back articles or maybe even a list of doctors in your new area.

While I have only had conversations with my doctor about guns and sights, some folks actually bring their guns in. "I wanna see the front sight, the rear sight and the A on the fifth line down, while being able to focus back and forth to adjust sharpness". Even if it is just to help see a perfect round red dot on one of your red dot sights. Or set the focal length for your scope at arms length.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: Bearbait in NM] #139674 12/29/2013 7:38 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
good advice about dr.s as for handguns i use one ragged hole peep sight. no scope yet almost as good. somebody else makes these sights for rugers buy i sure cant remember who

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: bluecow] #139683 12/29/2013 11:32 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Scopes on the long range guns,dots on the close range guns.

Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: racksmasher1] #139685 12/30/2013 12:45 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
The bear camp I was at last fall had an optometrist hunting and we talked about shooting glasses and he said there is just no way to make glasses that see all focal points clearly,Im looking for a red dot for my new piece.

Dave Tarbell
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: Dave Tarbell] #139686 12/30/2013 1:09 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I've worn Zeiss Progressive lenses in my glasses for 15+ years. A slight tilt of the head gets all of the sighting options mentioned in focus. I also use bright yellow tinted Zeisses for all my hunting. They make animals stand out like a spotlight is on them and they give me an extra 10-15 min. of useful shooting light in the evening.

Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: wvhitman] #139695 12/30/2013 10:16 AM
mike.44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for al the good input guys. Raptortrapper, I had the Lasik surgery back in 1999. But, you still age and your sight goes down hill all the same. Went to the range today and shot the new(to me) 4" Redhawk 45 Colt. Didn't do too bad for the first time out with lousy ammo. I am going to play around with the open sights on the Redhawk and I put a Vortex Razor reflex on my 5" 629. I will work with those to see what I need to do. I will be making an eye appt soon.

Last edited by mike.44; 12/30/2013 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: mike.44] #139845 01/03/2014 9:23 AM
mike.44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Went and shot today. Used the Vortex Razor on the 5" Smith 629 and open sights on the 4" Redhawk 45 Colt. I like both set-ups and will use each as appropriate. I do get a fair bit better accuracy with the reflex sight.

Re: Naked or Topped Off [Re: mike.44] #139875 01/04/2014 1:20 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like revolvers with open sights. TCs and other single shot specialty pistols are an either/or proposition for me, depending upon the purpose.

Revolvers just seem to balance better in my hands without a scope. To each their own though. Ymmv

Stush

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod