Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hey DanB #9209 07/07/2005 4:03 PM
cyberhick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I was looking up reloading info at Hogdon's website and they said for H110 only go 3% below max. Your load for the 320gr Penn Bullets is stated that 22grains is max, and you load them at 21 grains. If my math is correct, 21.3 grains would be as low as you could go. I'm a little confused here because it would seem that your loads is a little on the dangerous low side of H110. Straighten me out dude.

cyberhick

Re: Hey DanB [Re: cyberhick] #9210 07/07/2005 4:44 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've shot hundreds of rounds using this load (20gr H110 w/ 320gr Penn bullet) and never had a problem. Heck...I've loaded it down to 16gr when I first started loading heavies in the .44's and it shot wonderful.

I think they post that warning to keep people from trying to use this powder for squib loads...

Re: Hey DanB [Re: Dan B.] #9211 07/07/2005 5:29 PM
JRMoore Offline
Cyber....I am known for shooting loads that make even the best lawyers cringe.....high and low....but safely !!! Sometimes if no pressure signs are seen, its whatever works !!!!

JRMoore

JRMoore With God all things are possible !!!
Re: Hey DanB [Re: cyberhick] #9212 07/08/2005 10:03 AM
cyberhick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok, thanks...stupid lawyers. Hey, what about temperature variations? I've heard that the powder has different pressures at different temps, which would be bad if loading at the hot end of the spectrum.

Re: Hey DanB [Re: cyberhick] #9213 07/08/2005 10:33 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Problems with high weather temp's is usually only an issue when you loads are boarder line too "hot" anyhow. There are other issues to think of also...loads that are hot in the east (at low altitude and high humidity) may not be as warm in some western areas (high altitude and low humidity). But "hot" loads in the western US may be hotter in the east assuming the same conditions as previously mentioned.

Hodgdons "Extreme" line of powders has the claim of not being temperature sensative and can be loaded without worries of temp changes. I load a lot of these powders and have yet to see any pressure or velocity changes...but here in PA we may get summer time maxes of 90 degrees (which I do NOT go to the range) and low's of 0's (which I also do not go to the range!!) to really test their claim. BUT...again...on my testing agenda is to freeze a batch of test loads and leave the matching set of loads in the truck on a hot day then shoot them for accruacy and speed to see what happens.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 55 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod