Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
what to do? #139799 01/02/2014 4:44 AM
ahandgunhunter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
didnt get to handgun hunt any deer this year do to a atv accident(right wrist) back in october.spent 6 weeks in a brace and hunted only with long guns this year. i was going to try to hunt the last couple of days with handgun but wrist is still unable to handle the recoil, when making sure guns were still on.Anybody ever have any wrist issues and have ideas on how to build the wrist back up.

Re: what to do? [Re: ahandgunhunter] #139807 01/02/2014 12:19 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I had wrist issues years ago from an accident in a harvest truck. Part of my therapy was using a section of 1 1/2" dowel rod with a hole drilled in the middle. A rope was passed through this hole and tied in a knot so it couldn't come back out. On the other end of the rope was a carabiner. The carabiner was passed through the center hole of a 2.5 pound weight lifting plate, and then attached back to the rope so the plate is now hanging from the rope and can be suspended in the air. I had to hold this contraption in front of me, and roll my wrists back and forth so the rope would wind itself up around the rod. When the weight got all the way up, I had to let it unwind by doing the opposite motion.

With weak wrists, it was a workout! my injury was so bad that at first, I couldn't even get it all wound up to the rod before I would have to start going the other way and let it down. But it didn't take but a few weeks before I was using a 5 pound plate doing several reps, and felt confident in my forearms and wrists.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 01/02/2014 12:23 PM. Reason: clarification

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: what to do? [Re: Raptortrapper] #139820 01/02/2014 8:02 PM
Jeff686 Offline
I second raptortrappers method. Just use a weight that makes it difficult and adjust up once it gets easier. You can also do the same thing with a short section of large diameter(3-4") PVC pipe that you grip from the ends with your finger tips and roll up thr weight like you were turning a big door knob. This works the wrist in a angled plane and works the hands and fingers as well.

Both of these will make your forearms feel like they may burst into flames. Don't over do it the first time or you won't be able to lift a cup or work your zipper the next day.
;\)

http://www.gripfaq.com/Wrist_Strength_Exercises/

This guy has the wrist roller and some other exercises for the wrist. Start light if you try levering (choke up on the handle or use smaller hammer)or you'll smack yourself with the hammer.

I've not had a wrist injury, but I used to powerlift for years and I did this stuff as auxiliary lifts to improve wrist strength in the bench press and grip strength in deadlift.

Start light and go slow. You want to rebuild not aggravate or reinjure. Good luck!

Re: what to do? [Re: Jeff686] #139838 01/03/2014 2:31 AM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
Im going thru this right now. Started shooting Hand Cannons about 5 years ago. My wrist right now I cant shoot. Iv been off shooting for 3 months. Im doing the same excercise hoping to get back.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.
Re: what to do? [Re: bfr4570] #139843 01/03/2014 3:16 AM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The spring "grip" things that you squeeze in your hand also help as they not only strengthen your fingers, but also your wrists. Do them one way then flip the gripper upside down in your hand and do them the other way. You can also take a light weight (even a soup can) and hold it then with your forearm flat on a table lift the can up then all the way down at the wrist. Turn your forearm 90 degrees and go up and down (like your casting a fishing rod) to work the wrist in the other direction. You can also hold the weight off the end of the table with your forearm supported just trying to maintain the level of weight with your wrist held flat as a sort of static exercise.

Re: what to do? [Re: bobhanson1] #140039 01/08/2014 2:45 AM
ahandgunhunter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
thanks for the ideas! i will get on it. also give me a resaon to pick up a 686 i have been wanting. i will start with some lite loads. then move up to the heavy stuff as time goes on.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod