Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) #139983 01/06/2014 1:27 PM
SChunter Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Fueled by the late season success from last year, my group of friends packed up our Christmas toys, snacks and stocking stuffers and pushed West shortly after Santa's appearance Christmas week. After convening in North Carolina to test the suspension on a Yukon XL with overloading (not to mention what we sent out on an F-250 from the coast), we drove straight through from Charlotte to my friends' family ranch just east of Abilene, Texas. A trip back in November had proved to be successful, and had discovered new forage planted in the ever-abundant fields on the property. In previous years, the fields had been covered in wheat, but this year the farmer supplemented the wheat with turnips, brassicas, and other forage that would benefit from some cold weather to sweeten the lure...game would be flocking from all adjacent properties to the food sources, and returning in late December would prove to be the right call.

After a 17-hour straight-thru grind (having 3 drivers is the way to go!), we pulled into the ranch for a late dinner and to assemble our gear for the next morning hunt. My choice of gear was noticeably less than in trips past - a shotgun for some duck chasing on the tanks and sloughs, 2 XP's, chambered in 6.5/284 and 338/284, a 9" barreled FA 353, and a 300 Whisper Contender complete with the quiet component, a YHM Ti suppressor. [I did bring my AR, chambered in 300 AAC Blackout, but it got only range play
\:\(
] Now, I know this doesn't sound like a light load as far as guns go, but it has bordered on ridiculous in times past...which makes it difficult to determine what to carry! The 338XP was first up to bat, having not had any field time since load development in late November. The sidearm of the .357 would prove to be a good counterpart to the long-barreled thumper.

Saturday AM broke cool and clear, relatively pleasant with a forecast of a cold, blustery front pushing in that evening. The sun broke over the horizon, illuminating the distant green fields...which were loaded with deer! Instantly the spotting scope came out - deer were counted, bucks evaluated, wishes made
\:\)

The urge to fill the freezer was immediately tested as the does began to file past, picking their way through the cactus flats and heading back from the fields to their daytime beds. Despite the calendar date, the bucks appeared to still be engaged in some rut activity - checking does, bristling up against intruding bucks, some casual sparring, etc. (when we were there in Nov, the chase was on and strong). While checking out the amorous efforts of some smaller 8 points, I noticed some horns far out front, ghosting through the mesquite. A quick check through the binoculars showed an older 7 point, with all the physical attributes of a mature deer. Hmmm - first morning, but should I squeeze the trigger? As he approached closer, the decision was made - muffs on, range finder out, sand bag up, and FA in the lap. XP or FA? Leaning towards the scoped FA...The range finder read 122 yards - I knew the wheelgun was up to the task, given the 100 yard practice results with the 140 Barnes. Wait for broadside and let him hold it. And then I catch movement off my left shoulder - tines bobbing just over the ridge, another buck skirting this buck and the group of does. My attention then turns to this new deer, glassing to evaluate - good tine length, decent mass, but a smaller deer. back to the original target, but where did he go? There he is, moving off to the Left, trying to intercept the intruder. Maybe a little farther than earlier, hammer back, control the breathing, adjust for range, and squeeeeeeze. The FA recoils after the trigger breaks clean - the buck kicks and jumps into the air, offside shoulder broken from a complete pass through. The buck runs off a short ways, R leg flailing and rear end listing to the side as he tries to get his feet under him. He pauses further out, wobbly, trying to stay on his feet,but the XP was already on its way to acquiring a sight picture, safety off, slight pressure on the trigger and the big gun barks. And he takes off like a deer unhurt and disappears over the ridge...

Everyone that has hunted has experienced the creeping doubt. Did I make a good shot? Will he be laying just over the ridge? I know I have a pass through on the first, but why didn't he bowling pin on the 185 gr TSX? A quick check on the rangefinder shows 145 yards at the first shot (gulp), and just under 200 for the "anchoring" shot.

After a nervous wait, I got down to inspect the scene and trail the deer - of course I couldn't resist the urge to see if he was laying in the open just out of sight (he was not), so I went back to the impact and started the CSI process. Standing here, blood spatter there, blood trail then, cactus splashed with blood there plus a .40 cal plus hole in the cactus where the TSX had sailed through

Now on path, the trail was quick - it appears the wait was unnecessary as the 2 Barnes bullets were grouped less than 2 inches apart in his vitals.

Now before I get flamed for this shot, let me preface...I argued with myself, but posted the distance so fellow hunters can see the field results of the .357 with this load...did it work and achieve full penetration? Yes. Would the deer have gone down and expired there had I not fired a second shot? I believe so, but I've been taught to keep shooting if the game animal presents a followup. Would I knowingly take a 145 yard shot with this gun and load going forward? Despite the results, I realistically think it's pushing the envelope on the cartridge at factory loadings. But Barnes XPB has a very deep HP with fairly thin walls at the top, lending itself to rapid expansion, even at subdued velocities. YMMV

Dressing the deer, the damage done was impressive - I think the internal bleeding caused by the initial shot, followed up by a hit with the big hammer on a fluid-filled cavity = significant hemorrhage and trauma. Wow.

The first evening was topped off by one of my friend's son shooting a nice mature 6-point, his first buck! Dad got it on video, and captured a memory that will last forever.

Day 2 had our group switching gears and chasing ducks...all of the cattle tanks on the property were loaded with ducks of all varieties, mallards, gadwall, pintails, wigeon, ringnecks, scaup - a duck hunters variety delight. Winds out of the N at 25 and spitting freezing rain? That's a duck hunting day! Waders, dekes, and ducks! All we were missing was a retriever, which was subbed out for a Walmart-purchased Zebco 33 with a Zara Spook

Jalapeno-wrapped duck appetizers...delicious.

Fast forward a couple days - the group decides have a doe-thinning evening. I was sitting on a field location, and with the cold weather and deer movement (it seems from all adjacent properties), it was not uncommon to see 100 deer...AT ONE TIME. Not counting over the hunt or sit, but at one time, in view, in a single field. Truly amazing.

As shots began to ring out across the tract, and deer began to be on high alert, I readied my gear. The 353 FA was up at bat again. I had been watching a large alert doe for nearly 20 minutes as she fed closer to my tower stand in the open field - with light fading, I readied my muffs and grabbed the rangefinder. 64 yards...hammer back, 4X Leupold tucked behind the shoulder and squeeeeeeeze. The herd closest to me scatters at the shot, and the intended target begins to drop behind the fleeing group. After a 50 yard run, she piles up in the field. A quick examination of the deer in the field shows a complete pass through of the 140 gr Barnes with good expansion, with good wound channel through the lungs.

After sufficiently filling the cooler(s), we sought to target a couple of older bucks that we had patterned over the prior days hunts. An ancient chocolate 8 that we had nicknamed Roman due to his telltale Roman nose, plus an old warrior that we had termed the Busted 8, because of his snapped L main beam. One evening, after watching countless does pour into the green field and working on my arithmetic, the Busted 8 showed up and wandered into Whisper range. Hammer back, no muffs necessary

At just under 70 yards, there was a noticeable pause between the Pffffttttt and the Thwack of the the 208 AMax hitting home, just behind the shoulder. The buck jumped at the shot and ran 10 yards, pausing to see what the fuss was about...wobbly legs, he turned and sprinted another 30 yards and cartwheeled in a cactus patch. White belly in the green flat is a beautiful sight in the dusk!

The tumbling 208 gr Hornady performed well again, with a pencil-in, sideways out, and destruction in between.

Once again, a great end of season trip to Texas, with good friends, great memories, and returning to the Carolinas sleep deprived and with coolers filled with game!

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: SChunter] #139984 01/06/2014 1:47 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
As usual, great shooting and nice work! With a FA, I would have taken the same shot buddy!

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: GlennS] #139985 01/06/2014 2:22 PM
chas3stix Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your hunt stories and pics. Congrats.

NRA Benefactor life Member
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: chas3stix] #139988 01/06/2014 3:04 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Good write up, Dur! I may have lied to you the other night when I said "I was gonna try some of them 140xpb's Taffinized". There doesn't seem to be any available! Maybe before next years season.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: KRal] #139989 01/06/2014 3:17 PM
SChunter Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: KRal
Good write up, Dur! I may have lied to you the other night when I said "I was gonna try some of them 140xpb's Taffinized". There doesn't seem to be any available! Maybe before next years season.

Hey bud - no problem...I know a guy who has some on his reloading bench...

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: SChunter] #139990 01/06/2014 3:21 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Haaa.... OK, you had a better week then me.

PS- Keep this between me and you...Great shootin.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: jamesfromjersey] #139991 01/06/2014 3:40 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Great trip!! Thanks for sharing.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: Russell] #139993 01/06/2014 4:09 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
fantastic!

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: Russell] #139994 01/06/2014 4:27 PM
Ellis Offline
Very good read, congrats!

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: SChunter] #139995 01/06/2014 4:39 PM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Excellent post. I really enjoyed reading about your handgun hunting success.

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: bigbore442001] #139996 01/06/2014 5:09 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
That really sounds like a great trip! Congrats man! You deserve it buddy!

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: bigbore442001] #139997 01/06/2014 8:59 PM
Duke3026 Offline
addict
addict
Great hunt!

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: Duke3026] #139999 01/06/2014 9:23 PM
gknarf Offline
Sounds like a great trip. Congrats and good shooting!!!

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: gknarf] #140000 01/06/2014 9:38 PM
WiseGuy Offline
addict
addict
Thanks for the detailed story!!! Congrats on a successful hunt

Bigger ain't always better....according to who???
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: WiseGuy] #140003 01/06/2014 11:06 PM
Boot Offline
addict
addict
Congratulations on an awesome hunt! Great shootin!

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: Boot] #140006 01/07/2014 12:18 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Awesome hunt and story

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: racksmasher1] #140008 01/07/2014 12:40 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
A great story and a couple of real nice bucks.

Dave Tarbell
Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: Dave Tarbell] #140009 01/07/2014 1:29 AM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
Great writeup and great shooting Dur! Congrats again on another successful Texas trip!

Re: Texas Big Game Finale (Long Post) [Re: SChunter] #140011 01/07/2014 2:58 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Bucks, ducks and does. Smorgasboard ;-)

Thanks for sharing.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod