Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HANDgun hunter blind #139998 01/06/2014 9:03 PM
Festus Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
With the recent frigid temps, and it never ceases to rain 3 days during Ohio gun season.
Im thinking of building a handun hunter blind.
Simple plywood box blind with a window or two
Maybe a little buddy heater spot and a shelf

Anyone have an example of theirs

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: Festus] #140004 01/07/2014 12:10 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
a window or two

Make sure you make TALL window openings to allow for the muzzle flip. Many of the box blinds I've seen have horizontal slits that make them less than practical with handguns.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: s4s4u] #140013 01/07/2014 3:59 AM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good point on the window height. One could make a tall window opening and cover the top half with camo burlap or netting. That would still give concealment while allowing space for recoil.

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: EricS] #140016 01/07/2014 1:23 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
That camo "curtain" idea is a really good one. It allows you to get the entire gun outside of the blind before touching off a round.

A big bore handgun going off inside a box blind is sort of like getting hit in the eardrums with a couple of sledgehammers. Even with plugs or muffs or both in it is still quite loud and the concussion is substaintial. I can't even imagine what it would be like with a 460 or a 500 with compensator.

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: 98Redline] #140025 01/07/2014 8:57 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: 98Redline
That camo "curtain" idea is a really good one. It allows you to get the entire gun outside of the blind before touching off a round.

A big bore handgun going off inside a box blind is sort of like getting hit in the eardrums with a couple of sledgehammers. Even with plugs or muffs or both in it is still quite loud and the concussion is substaintial. I can't even imagine what it would be like with a 460 or a 500 with compensator.

The curtain is a very good idea actually! you can always make it smaller that way, but its hard to change the height when out in the stand unless you bring a saw! lol

I also agree on your point about the concussion of shooting in a box... forgot to put plugs in once... rung my bell! lol

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: BBwheelgunner] #140029 01/07/2014 11:43 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Do you just not like any of the various pop up blinds?

Dave Tarbell
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: Dave Tarbell] #140030 01/08/2014 12:04 AM
Festus Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Dave, they are good but I find them to be less sturdy in bad weather.
Since this blind will be permanent I want it to last a while.
I would think the box type may hold heat better (not sure)

Also looking at the plastic ones
Looking at buiding a 6 by 6 box
Or a 4 by 4

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: Festus] #140033 01/08/2014 12:41 AM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
What about a regular fabric pop up blind? All you need is something to take the wind chill out.

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: bigbore442001] #140042 01/08/2014 3:32 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
For a permanent blind I can sure see where your coming from
some styrofoam insulation might be good too.

Dave Tarbell
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: Festus] #140045 01/08/2014 5:04 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Looking at buiding a 6 by 6 box

We have a few box blinds that are elevated on treelines for the old dudes. I shouldn't slander because I am gettin to be an old dude. And on those -10 mornings, or in the rain, we all need a little shelter. From what we've learned I suggest:

Don't make it too big, because you don't want to have to move too much to look another direction. We have one we call the Hilton, but it takes 2-1/2 guys to cover it because it was a 6x12 fishhouse.

Make it tall enough that you can stand up and also can shoot from a standing position, hence tall windows. A person can only sit for so long and critters seem to show up at the most inoportune times.

If it is going to have a floor, be sure to glue the plywood to the joists because nothing says HELLO, I'M OVER HERE like a size 10 on a squeeky floor.

A little elevation goes a long way.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: s4s4u] #140113 01/10/2014 1:01 PM
BRASF0311 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here's the view from mine.

Dad always taught me to push my back into a briar bush, thicket, or under a pine tree (my favorite)for cover.

I'm just havin fun here. I am also getting older and planning to build a box blind for next year, so I appreciate the info.

Semper Fi.

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: BRASF0311] #140133 01/10/2014 5:36 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've never hunted from a blind Other than natural like BRASF0311's) so maybe this is a silly question, but wouldn't one of the "pop-up" blinds work well? Portable, cheap, break the wind...

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: Vance in AK.] #140134 01/10/2014 5:46 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
Portable blinds are nice to have but they are no substitute for a great box stand. I use them a lot but if you have a nice permanent food plot in a field, box stands are the way to go. Very sturdy windows for shooting the handgun from and the deer are used to them being there yearround. Nothing cuts the wind like plywood
\:\)
I have been gathering supplies to build one for next year because I want my son to join and anything that block movement while hes learning will be a plus. Mine will be about 4x8 and have insulation in the walls and sealed up all nice. We used to use nice sliding windows for the really windy days. Just have to make sure they are not noisy. Also on some of the cheaper stand builds, we used plexi glass that was hinged at the top and could be raised by a string that was placed through the wall above the window. Very quiet, simple and it works. Build from a good material so you don't have to do again often. The new one I'm building the outside with Hardie board to last and then insulate the walls and cover with thin plywood inside before sealing all the joints. Leave enough room for a small heater and the munchkin should be able to stay for a while. We shall see!!

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: GlennS] #140139 01/10/2014 8:10 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: GlennS
Portable blinds are nice to have but they are no substitute for a great box stand. I use them a lot but if you have a nice permanent food plot in a field, box stands are the way to go. Very sturdy windows for shooting the handgun from and the deer are used to them being there yearround. Nothing cuts the wind like plywood
I have been gathering supplies to build one for next year because I want my son to join and anything that block movement while hes learning will be a plus. Mine will be about 4x8 and have insulation in the walls and sealed up all nice. We used to use nice sliding windows for the really windy days. Just have to make sure they are not noisy. Also on some of the cheaper stand builds, we used plexi glass that was hinged at the top and could be raised by a string that was placed through the wall above the window. Very quiet, simple and it works. Build from a good material so you don't have to do again often. The new one I'm building the outside with Hardie board to last and then insulate the walls and cover with thin plywood inside before sealing all the joints. Leave enough room for a small heater and the munchkin should be able to stay for a while. We shall see!!

Sounds like a cabin!!! :-)

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: Vance in AK.] #140146 01/10/2014 9:46 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
Ha, it will be compared to some we used to build. I've done most of my hunting from the ground over the years but nothing beats a nice box stand when the weather is really crummy and you still want to be out in it

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: GlennS] #140317 01/14/2014 3:55 PM
BlueDuck Offline
stranger
stranger
I have a 4'x8' plywood blind,9' off the ground. I built it at home and hauled it to the hunting site (on private land). My neighbor used his tractor to lift it up onto a platform built from treated 4x4's. I have used it for 4 years now and it works great. Getting it up in the air really seems to help with keeping deer and elk from getting your scent. Its plenty big for two people, but I generally hunt alone. If I were to do it again, Id consider building it a little smaller. Probably 4'x4' or even 4'x5'.

Last edited by BlueDuck; 01/14/2014 3:57 PM.
Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: BlueDuck] #140320 01/14/2014 4:38 PM
RichardCocan Offline
stranger
stranger
I wear my blind, a good old fashion ghillie suit. They are a great option if winter cold is not an issue. One early morning I had a coyote walk less than 10 feet by me, it was still a little too early to shoot (I wasn’t using my light that morning). 30 minutes later he walked right by me again (responding to my call). This time there was plenty of daylight. That was the closest I ever shot a coyote and he never saw me. The only downside is heat; if you are doing a lot of walking, like I do when coyote hunting, they can get a little warm in midsummer.

Re: HANDgun hunter blind [Re: RichardCocan] #140327 01/14/2014 8:48 PM
Festus Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I really dont like box blinds
I prefer natural ones also.
However the weather always seems to be terrible here during gun season.
Mostly rain
I can take a drizzle, but I hate being out in heavy rain.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod