Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton #140021 01/07/2014 6:22 PM
GlennS Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I don't know how many have read Mark Hampton's latest book titled "Addicted to Altitude, Confessions of a Mountain Hunter". I meant to pick it up when it was released and did my usual thing of getting busy and forgetting. Well, about a week ago, I pulled out Mark's book on Handgun Hunting recently to read it again and it reminded me that I had forgot to order the newest one so I contacted Mark and he sent a copy to the house. I read over half of it last night. If you haven't picked a copy of this one up yet, you need to. Its not the usual this is the best gun and this is the best caliber and this is the best way to hold it book that we see so many of all the time. This book is comprised of stories of numerous hunts across the globe for sheep and mountain goats of every variety that you could ever imagine. I love the way that Mark tells the story as he was sitting there in your house talking with you. His style of writing is very refreshing and has you turning the pages as fast as you can.

I will never have the chance to take even a fraction of the hunts that Mark has taken all over the world so to read it like you were there is just awesome. If you want to read about hunts in areas that you probably didn't even know some of existed, and have it read like the author is sitting across the table telling the tale, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this book. Lets face it, the storytelling at the hunting camp is one of the reasons that we go back every year. Difference in these and the vast majority of typical hunting camp stories is that these stories are real and Mark has the pictures to prove it
\:\)

There is also the fact that you can take yourself to the hunting camp storytelling atmosphere that we all love so much with this book anytime/anywhere. I will use it the next time I'm stuck on a plane next to some dude that is driving me crazy. I figure I can pull this book out and start reading and 2 things may happen, one he will finally be quiet and then hopefully I will forget he's there and just imagine him as the old eccentric guy at the camp every year that is quietly listening to the story being told
I sure hope it works!!

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: GlennS] #140022 01/07/2014 6:34 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Both of Mark Hampton's books are great. I too, will never get to go to all the places that Mark has hunted, but I would love to. He is living the handgun hunters dream. I really like the fact that he is writing from his vast handgun hunting experiences. It really gives credit to his words. He is someone that younger & older handgun hunters can look up to.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: Franchise] #140023 01/07/2014 6:50 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Couldn't agree more! I bought "Addicted to Altitude" last year and blew through it in record time. Definitely a must-have for the handgun hunter's library. Oh, and Mark seems to be be one hell-of-a-nice guy!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: Whitworth] #140024 01/07/2014 7:46 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Thanks for the reminder Glenn - going to PM Mark now!

Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: SChunter] #140031 01/08/2014 12:12 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Both Mark and his sweet bride are awesome people, and the book is great to boot

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: SChunter] #140038 01/08/2014 2:33 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
Thanks for the reminder Glenn - going to PM Mark now!

You too! Where have you and Glenn been?
;\)
I too, as Max, couldn't put it down last year. It'll be well worth going through again when I get a chance. I waiting on marks next book, now.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: GlennS] #140049 01/08/2014 12:12 PM
chal4oye Offline
stranger
stranger
I read over half of it last night. If you haven't picked a copy of this one up yet, you need to. Its not the usual this is the best gun and this is the best caliber and this is the best way to hold it book that we see so many of all the time. This book is comprised of stories of numerous hunts across the globe for sheep and mountain goats of every variety that you could ever imagine. I love the way that Mark tells the story as he was sitting there in your house talking with you. His style of writing is very refreshing and has you turning the pages as fast as you can.

Re: "Addicted to Altitude" by Mark Hampton [Re: chal4oye] #140054 01/08/2014 3:06 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You're right, Glenn. Mark is a good writer, and has more handgunning experience in more varied surroundings, and on more species of game, than anyone of my knowledge.
I've had the pleasure of knowing him for many years, hunting with him, and visiting with him. He's as friendly and unassuming as they come, and we know he's real, real smart, because in marrying Karen, he was able to have a life partner who loves to hunt and has always supported him in his worldwide adventures.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod