Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
custom grips for the s&w n frame #9235 07/09/2005 2:56 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey, folks, does anyone know of a place where I can get either custom made (as to fit my hands) or after market grips that will let my stubby fingers get a good handle (pun intended) on my smith 629. I dont see any on the web other than just exotic woods and stuff but known that are for smaller hands

Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: joe2] #9236 07/09/2005 2:02 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
check out www.herrett-stocks.com. they can make a custom grip for you. i think you just have to trace your hand on a piece of paper and send it to them, choose the material and let them have at it. hope this helps!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: bisleyfan44] #9237 07/09/2005 2:50 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Check out this site. He has some nice looking stuff and has been making custom grips for competition shooting for years.

Badger Custom Grips

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: joe2] #9238 07/10/2005 3:07 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks gentlemen, I will check them out. I can make new grips on my own, but time is really valuable to me these days. I am sure that one of these companys can provide me with what I need. I am not certain what material will provide me with durability in the field, I am afraid that wood will not hold up well in the rough hunting enviroment that we have over here in the edge of the rockies. I have considered rubber grips, but dont like the looks (I am a wood and steel guy) however I may use them anyway.

Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: joe2] #9239 07/11/2005 6:44 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
you might want to try either a laminated wood grip or one made of micarta. the latter being about indestuctable, it's the one i would choose for durability above all else. comes in white and black, maybe more colors. i have a pair on my bisley blackhawk and love 'em. can't even scratch them. believe me....i've tried!!! and they won't soak up any water either. they definitely don't feel like good ole wood but i think they're much better than rubber or other plastics...imho.

Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: bisleyfan44] #9240 07/12/2005 2:44 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
BISLEYFAN44- Thanks for the info. Do you know who made your micarta grips? I have thought about this material but have never seen a set of grips made out of it. I have small hands and some of the after market grips that I have seen are made for much larger hands than mine. Are these grips you are talking about, about average, large, small? Thank you for your reply.

Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: joe2] #9241 07/12/2005 7:34 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
the grips i have are about average in size and made by hogue grips in their cowboy action line. i checked their website and could not find ones listed for the s&w n-frame, but you may want to call them anyway and see what they can do for you. www.getgrip.com the only other place i can think of that offers them is gary reeder. i beleive his son is the one who makes them. i know he can put them on his guns, but you may have to send your gun to him for fitting...don't know. you may want to check with him too. www.reedercustomguns.com . either way, if you can get a set, i think you'll like 'em.

Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: bisleyfan44] #9242 07/12/2005 7:44 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
by the way, if it turns out you can't find them you may want to try www.badgercustomgrips.com like tigger said for their laminate grips. they're not quite as "bulletproof" as the micarta, but they should stand up just fine to anything short of using 'em for a hammer and they sure do look nice. ...good prices too.

Re: custom grips for the s&w n frame [Re: bisleyfan44] #9243 07/26/2005 1:34 AM
coltfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Joe,
I'll second the recommendation for the Herrett grips. I recently picked up a used pair for my model 29. I have been so happy with them that I am seriously considering ordering a pair custom fitted for my hand. An added plus for you might be the fact that, if I recall correctly, they are located in your home state. Depending where you are located you might be able to visit the factory. If you are really in the mood to go top shelf you might want to check out Nill Grips at http://www.nill-griffe.com/ . I'll check to see if I can find the site for the US distributor. I don't have any of these but hear that they are worth the expense.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod