Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First handloads #140859 01/27/2014 4:05 AM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
TaDa. Finally got started and I'm enjoying the learning process.
Many thanks to Dan B. for his most helpful articles on this subject.
Once fired 7x30 brass, 139gr Hornady SST over 30grns of H4895.

Last edited by archr610; 01/27/2014 4:07 AM.

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: First handloads [Re: archr610] #140860 01/27/2014 4:27 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
archr..,

May I suggest that you sign up for Handloaders Anonymous ASAP. You have now contracted a life-long addiction.

Doc

Re: First handloads [Re: doc with a glock] #140890 01/28/2014 4:35 AM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks Doc. Just remember, you're partly responsible.
;\)

Jeff

Support bacteria:
Re: First handloads [Re: archr610] #140904 01/28/2014 4:11 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Welcome to the addiction.

Have you fired them yet? Preparing to fire your first handload is somewhat nerve-wracking.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: First handloads [Re: Chance Weldon] #140905 01/28/2014 4:57 PM
archr610 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf

Have you fired them yet? Preparing to fire your first handload is somewhat nerve-wracking.

Haven't fired them yet. It's hasn't been much over 10 degrees out the last few days. Brrr... That's whats holding me up.
As much as I'm looking forward to lighting up that first one, yes I am a little apprehensive and yet I'm quite confident after much reading and research that I did everything right. Checked my charge weight many times over (that seems to be the scariest part) I'm already developing saftey habits that I will not sway from, so I'm ready ??

Support bacteria:
Re: First handloads [Re: archr610] #140906 01/28/2014 7:46 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: archr610
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf

Haven't fired them yet. It's hasn't been much over 10 degrees out the last few days. Brrr... That's whats holding me up.
As much as I'm looking forward to lighting up that first one, yes I am a little apprehensive and yet I'm quite confident after much reading and research that I did everything right. Checked my charge weight many times over (that seems to be the scariest part) I'm already developing saftey habits that I will not sway from, so I'm ready ??

I do the same thing. I am a bit on the extremem side when it comes to weighing charges. I weigh EVERY SINGLE ONE and dump it in by hand. I don't have the confidence in myself to do multiple rounds at the same time on my turret, so each one is done from start to finish, then I start a new one.

Welcome to reloading! I've only been at it a year, and know it is something I will do the rest of my life, or at least the rest of my "shooting" life.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: First handloads [Re: Raptortrapper] #140928 01/29/2014 11:18 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
The scary part seems to go away after the first loads. As time goes on you kinda get a feel for the gun and what it likes. When you start reloading for another gun that feeling starts all over again, at least it does for me.

Re: First handloads [Re: dhom] #140982 01/31/2014 2:33 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
lt was the middle 70s and l had just purchased a beautiful SW Model 14 in 38spcl..After going thru a couple boxes of wadcutters l was hooked on revolver target shooting. But also shocked at the cost of these @ over $5 a box.. Anyway l shortly took the plunge and got a LEE loader for $13.. The 0riginal one you beat with a hammer and dowel..The sizing/belling part went ok. then l remember trying to seat my first primer and was greeted with a very unpleasent ''BAM'' !!! Well l put everything away,changed clothes, and then went back to the gunshop where l had first purchased the LEE LOADER..Bill sold me a lee hand primer and the screw-in shell holder for $5 and l never looked back..Quite a few were ''beaten'' out with that lee and first pound of Bullseye..l think the little dipper held 3gr of Bullseye..Wanting to load faster l bought a RCBS JR press,38spcl dies and a 10 10 scale...l have since ''progressed'' to a Rock Chucker press, carbide dies, benchrest dies, trimmer,powder measure, trickler and tumbler..0ne item that has stayed with me since the very beginning is my LEE hand primer.. 0ne with a tray now tho..

Re: First handloads [Re: archr610] #141450 02/11/2014 2:57 AM
DeerDad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
You just think these guys did you a favor. They are all drowning in bullets and powder and they just drug you in with them through the smoke of burnt powder. It starts out fun trying different powders and bullets. You find a perfect combination for that gun and then it starts. You trying different primers and bullet seating depths. Then maybe that's not the right bullet and you order three more different variations. Oh, wait I'm not reloading for all my guns I need to reload for this and that. You see how this picture is shaping up. I know I jumped in two years ago and haven't looked back. Lol it's great.

One serious note. Have confidence in your reloads. I had some misfires and assumed it was my reloads. Come to find out I had a weak hammer spring in my contender. Thanks to this site I ordered some new springs and not one misfire since. Cci primers are harder than others and that brought my weak hammer spring to my attention. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. Gotta go UPS just showed up with new bullets to try. Lol

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod