Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rings #141519 02/12/2014 4:38 PM
lilguy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I used a weigand 3 ring and mount setup on my 480 with good results. Weigands do not work with 460,too low. Talked to Warne
and was told to use 3 or 4 high quick release rings,whatever number will fit.
Also recommended avoiding their silver rings, said you need to put silicone glue on them to secure scope.

Anyone run into a problem with this setup? thanks

Re: Rings [Re: lilguy] #141529 02/12/2014 7:15 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Lilguy - I would use the fixed Maxima High (202) rings instead of the QD, unless you plan on removing regularly. I put 4 on my PC Hunter and no slip issues.

I did have scope sliding issues with 2 Leupold QD rings before I made the switch though.

Re: Rings [Re: SChunter] #141538 02/12/2014 11:54 PM
lilguy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks. The Warne tech said 2 would not do it. They have a 629 that they had 3 on and he said they would ship me one if necessary but recommended 4 and id need to order them from a retailer.

Re: Rings [Re: lilguy] #141544 02/13/2014 2:17 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I use Warne rings the most; but go with the STEEL rings vs. ALUMINUM. You will gain a bit of weight here (which will help reduce "felt recoil")

\:\)

BUT that is a GOOD thing! Especially with these heavy recoiling calibers. If you have seen high speed photos of a heavy recoiling handgun, you would be amazed at the amount of FLEXING a scope tube actually does; thus another good reason to use FOUR rings instead of TWO: it reduces the length of scope tube in between the rings that can FLEX...

\:\)

PLUS

you will also gain STRENGTH. And of course that is a GOOD THING.

SChunter and I are on the same page here.

PS: Oh, and did I mention that scope tube FLEXING can cause internal scope tube malfunctions???...I post this for the "two rings is enough crowd" only to share what I have personally experienced. We all tend to do what works for us; thus I share.

Maybe another way to put it is this: when I am guiding handgun hunters (which I have been doing yearly in pretty good numbers since 1987) and I know that we are already "at a disadvantage due to the chosen weapon," maybe I look at it a little more seriously because I am a firm believer in "Murphy's Law;" ('cuz I have seen it happen over and over again..._YES I am talking about scope failure on the hunt_and I only want my hunters to succeed.)

Obviously if you are using the scope on the milder recoilers, you don't need to worry as much; but I only throw this out for your information as to my experience.

Re: Rings [Re: Gregg Richter] #141555 02/13/2014 7:03 AM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with SC hunter use the Warne Maxima fixed rings, not the QD ones as they add needless weight. I've used three of their silver rings on several calibers with a lot more recoil than your .460 would generate, and 2 silver rings on several small bore rifle chambered encore pistols and never had them slip. If you're concerned about it you can degrease the inside of the rings and line them with double sided tape or use spray adhesive then put your setup together. I used spray adhesive with good results on a .500 S+W Encore and 2 warne rings that had managed to slip through three rings made by several other manufacturers and have used Warnes exclusively ever since.

Re: Rings [Re: bobhanson1] #141566 02/13/2014 2:59 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Gregg,

I 100% agree. I had a 14" fluted 375 JDJ that was terribly light. That puppy torqued like crazy. Even with 4 rings to beat the tube flex and slip, I did manage to break the ocular bell on one Burris scope, way back when. It was a 3-9 Posi. Just to much mass above bore line, and in the wrong places.

Scopes can flex, and if you have a base that hangs out in the air in front of the frame, the base can flex.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Rings [Re: Bearbait in NM] #141567 02/13/2014 3:48 PM
lilguy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks everyone. Weigands does not make rings that work with the S+W Performance Ctr. Picatinny rail. This is a serious issues because both ring manufacturers tech reps are adamant about
multiple rings on the heavy hitters. I don't believe its to sell more rings than necessary. I wanted rings to match the silver Leupold and SS gun but the warne rep said to use the powder coated blacks because they hold better than the silvers. As I stated above he recommended putting silcone glue on the rings if I go with silvers. What do you think about the glue issue.

Re: Rings [Re: lilguy] #141571 02/13/2014 5:39 PM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Use double sided tape or spray adhesive inside the rings as either is easier to apply than silicone glue, and will hold just as well. I used double-sided tape inside Warne SS rings on a .416 Rem. Mag. Encore pistol barrel which undoubtedly generates more recoil energy and a .460 S+W...

Re: Rings [Re: bobhanson1] #141574 02/13/2014 8:11 PM
lilguy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I ordered 2 sets of Warne SS 202s
Thank you one and all.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod