Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
handgun hunting gloves in colder weather #141670 02/16/2014 12:59 AM
rob-c Offline OP
OP Offline
did some searching on the web and basically the only thing that came up was shooting gloves. what are you guys wearing in colder weather for handgun hunting. thanks in advance.....

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: rob-c] #141671 02/16/2014 1:05 AM
doc with a glock Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
rob-c,

I wear nomex flight gloves in all but the coldest weather.

Doc

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: doc with a glock] #141678 02/16/2014 4:49 AM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thinner gloves under mittens. But I am a giant weeny when it comes to cold hands.

PH

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: PythonHunter] #141681 02/16/2014 2:28 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
nothing. contrary to what most think is dose get cold here in new england. -21 a few weeks ago at work. just dont seem to have control over the gun or hammer or much of anything with gloves on.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: bluecow] #141682 02/16/2014 2:32 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: bluecow
nothing. contrary to what most think is dose get cold here in new england. -21 a few weeks ago at work. just dont seem to have control over the gun or hammer or much of anything with gloves on.

I have even less control when I can't feel my fingers (or the gun!)

As I've gotten older & arthritis has begun to rear it's ugly head I find my hands being the 1st thing to get cold. I'm working on a layering system that includes mittens but not sure on base layer yet.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: Vance in AK.] #141684 02/16/2014 4:04 PM
Brian375hh Offline
I wear a warm ski glove on my left hand. Right hand gets a winter golf glove. Its thin enough for me to feel trigger and hammer yet gives some warmth.

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: Brian375hh] #141685 02/16/2014 5:05 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I wear heavy choppers in cold weather - 20 above to 20 below zero with a chemical heat pack within each chopper. I just slip the chopper off - take the shot/shots and my hand goes back in the chopper.

If I use gloves of any sort, my hands get cold and I find I then slip my gloved hands in my coat pockets but my hands still stay cold. I can't enjoy myself outdoors with either cold hands or cold feet.

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: 7P's] #141687 02/16/2014 5:15 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
After all the years of Pennsylvania winters I use a wool split palm mitten and lined leather or wool gloves under, but I insert a hand warmer pack in the front of the mitten near my finger tips
The warmers for the toe have sticky strips that hold them in place in the mitten. When using this set up I can use a glove with an exposed trigger finger without getting cold. This is what I wore in the minus 9 degree`s hunting the boar.... No problem`s. When the heat pack gets cold I shake up another and are good to go.
PS the same as 7P above...

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 02/16/2014 5:17 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: jamesfromjersey] #141688 02/16/2014 5:58 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Glommets (a combination half finger/mitten) with thin wool liners. The mitten part folds back out of the way , the half finger glove leaves enough of the fingers exposed that I can still feel the trigger through the thin liner.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: Russell] #141693 02/16/2014 11:34 PM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I use those heavy work gloves that have cloth and leather on them. I use them all the time working with wood and what not. I found a pair that has nice smooth leather outside, not the rought leather. They also have gortex in them. Pretty warm. But because they are big there is room for a 'hotties' hand warmers in them. The trick is as I hold my gun (I'm a righty) in my left hand, I hold a finger of the right glove also. When the fun starts, I just slip my hand out and shoot barehanded.

Dogsbreath

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: dogsbreath] #141961 02/24/2014 8:30 AM
RedSS Offline
I have found that just dressing right with a good base layer (something like UnderArmour cold gear), plus a decent middle-weight fleece insulating layer or/and (during the coldest points of the season) a quality insulating shell on top of it all, does it just fine for me. I leave my hands in my fleece-lined pockets and draw/shoot when necessary. This works in 90% of the shooting scenarios. My accuracy with bow or handgun goes to crap when wearing most gloves. I do wear a pair of UnderArmour liner gloves in a camo pattern, which are about as close as you can get to a layer of skin, when I want to shoot bare-handed but need to cover those bright white hands with camo. There is a negligible POA-POI change when using these, IMHO.

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: RedSS] #142493 03/08/2014 9:39 AM
SEAK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I use the hardcore bicyclist gloves. They have padding in good places and even somewhat water resistant.

Enjoying to circle of life
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: dogsbreath] #142505 03/08/2014 6:38 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I wear Browning shooting gloves (very light leather) with the trigger finger part cut off. I work outside all the time including winter so I guess my hands are more or less used it as I never have a need for anything heavier. Partly maybe also due to the fact my hands are always moving; ie. when operating heavy equipment you are always doing something with your hands.

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: Gregg Richter] #142641 03/13/2014 4:21 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
I wear Browning shooting gloves (very light leather) with the trigger finger part cut off.....

I wear these same gloves that Gregg speaks of; minus cutting off the trigger finger. I wear them no matter the temp's; summer and winter. But, the majority of my hunting is in the South; we rarely get in the teen's. If its bad cold, I just stick my hands in my pockets.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: KRal] #142650 03/13/2014 8:33 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Take a look at the Firestorm Gloves from Blackhawk Products. They feature pads on the front of the fingers, waterproof Pittard leather; Fire resistant nomex cloth, and Kevlar reinforced construction. I bought two styles after seeing these at the SHOT Show a few years back. One has the wrist strap, and the other is elastic wrist (which I use 90% of the time). These gloves were developed for the U.S. Military, so the leather is thinned on the trigger finger, with skived cut lines to enable you to cut the trigger finger back if you so choose (I did not). They will definitely solve the problem of getting your hands beat up by the handgun, or scorched by the muzzle blast. Not cheap at $60 per copy last time I looked, but definitely worth the money. I find these comfortable in cold weather.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: Sawfish] #142681 03/14/2014 6:49 AM
RedSS Offline
Good idea on the Blackhawk gloves. Some of my fellow officers use these as general-purpose search/pat-down/etc. gloves at work and speak highly of them; I never thought to try them as a general purpose handgunning glove.

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: RedSS] #142702 03/14/2014 4:00 PM
Redhawk500 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I use layered gloves. As an inner layer I use archery or general shooting gloves. At present I use mittens as a heavy layer over fingered gloves if it is extremely cold. If in a tree stand I keep my hands under my outer coat layer with my holster unsnapped if the holster style doesn't have a cylinder retention spring system. Scent Lok gloves have padded finger tips, good for serrated triggers which eat my finger tip in short order with heavy loads, .44 Mag S&W revolvers are particularly bad. Thegunglove.com have fitted gloves that work well for me for skeet shooting but would be good inner layer gloves. Under armor has sport gloves which do pretty well. The fit is my first issue, followed by protection from the elements, which almost always require two layers. As a safety note, make sure your insulated gloves clear the trigger guard and don't bump the trigger at the same time!

Re: handgun hunting gloves in colder weather [Re: Redhawk500] #142880 03/19/2014 2:19 PM
Igor Offline
journeyman
journeyman
During cold weather I always feel like I do not control my FA .454 while using gloves; even when I take them off for shooting, my palm is dry and cold with minimal friction btwn palm and grip so I have to squeeze it more than I would like.
I made compromise by using Pro-Aim gloves. They are made from neoprene (so not warm enough) but tinny rubber lines at palm area always provide good grip. If it’s too cold I put some worm winter glove on left hand but keep Pro-Aim on my shooting hand

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod