Next Thread
Print Thread
Reload safety question #142252 03/02/2014 4:46 PM
dogsbreath Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi Guys,
I've a small dilemma here. I've been teaching my nephew to shoot/hunt. He has a Winchester '94 in .30-30, and it is $.85 per tigger pull using store bought ammo. I have the exact same '94, but in .44 mag, and I can reload them for pretty cheap. Thing is, he is at the 'just needs to send more lead down range' point of his learning, and it is cheaper to do it with the similar shooting .44.
So, I had him cranking the Dillon 550b the other day. I was right there with him as we put in the dies and set it up. We were using Accurate No.9, which I've not used before, so we worked up some loads and found the full charge of 20.2 grains to be fine. So, off he went. I was right there with him, but on the other side of a desk. Then bench is mounted on a shelf built onto the wall, the desk makes it an L shape. So, I was close and watching. We audited a few rounds, and stopped to check stuff along the way. He was a bit awkward, but did ok. We got down to the last 3 when the low primer buzzer went off. I had him weigh a charge again, and it was high. 20.4.
Now, I've not been loading long, 3 years, a little over 6000 rounds all of straight walled pistol stuff. I've never had this unit vary on charge weights. I even un-mounted it and moved it up to Kentucky to demonstrate it for a friend, and it held exactly on the charge I had set for it. I've looked it over and the only thing I can think is that operator error must have hit that nut when he was reaching over or around. Lame, but I really can't see any other explanation.
Now, my problem is, I have 100 pieces of .44 mag with some over charged by .2 grains.
I see my options as pull them all apart or shoot them. They are lead Keith style bullets with lube, so pulling them would entail an inertia hammer puller, then brushing each bullet clean. A hassle, but not the end of the world. As far as shooting them, I've got a Ruger SuperBlackhawk that everyone says is 'built like a tank'.
I know some of you guys talk about 'really hot loads', and often wonder if you are talking about over-spec charges.
I'm not going to let my sister's kid shoot these, but do you see any risk in my using them for blammo on the range?
Other guns that chamber .44m are two s/w 29's, and the Winchester '94.

I look forward to your opinions,
Thanks,
Dogsbreath

Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142253 03/02/2014 5:04 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
240 grain? If so, you are right up against it. I seldom load to the max, 50 fps is nothing really. That is unless you need to go there to get acceptable accuracy. I will not be the one to say it is safe to shoot them.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Reload safety question [Re: s4s4u] #142254 03/02/2014 5:20 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Man I'd pull em. How do ya know some aren't even higher than just the .2 over??

I weigh every single charge, which I know is anal, but with reloading, my biggest fear is exactly what you are talking about. I don't want it to be me, or my sisters kid (assuming I had a sister), that finds an excessively hot load.

And no, I'm not saying that everyone needs to weigh every single load. I know it isn't always necessary. Its just my thing, nothing more.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Reload safety question [Re: Raptortrapper] #142255 03/02/2014 5:29 PM
dogsbreath Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah, 240 grains. I really think the knob got bumped, and doubt any are anything other than the two settings. Dumping the bullets and tossing the powder would be cheaper than any 'Oh S' moment.

db

Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142256 03/02/2014 5:44 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
dog...,

I would disassemble them; however, do not toss the powder. Save the powder and bullets, re-bell the case mouths and reload with the appropriate charge. More inconvenient; but, much cheaper than a visit to the hospital and gunsmith / gunshop for a new eye, hand, gun, etc..

Doc

Last edited by doc with a glock; 03/02/2014 5:45 PM.
Re: Reload safety question [Re: s4s4u] #142257 03/02/2014 5:45 PM
freedom475 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
A machine like the big Dillon (mine is a 650) can be a challenge to load safely with. Just too much going on at once.

Couple things to consider...Not telling you yes/no.

Cons..
You are already at full maximum (if you are useing the 240gr.)..before the .2 extra powder.

Powder settles and almost always results in a charge increase as you progress.

How far over are the others??? no way of telling.

The 94 action is not really suited to high pressure like the win92 or your SBH. I would not shoot loads this hot through any 94 or "my" S&W ever. Just too hard on these great guns.

There are very few people that would load my ammo...an no way ammo loaded by a kid! Course I was loading my own ammo before my teens....but never on a big progressive press!!!!!

Pros..
You won't break your SBH it will hold 60K+++

.2 grains is nothing..my electronic scale will easily change +/- .2 grains as the unit heats up.

Primers can take a 22K load and drive it to 35K just by switching primers...so .2grain won't even come close to raising pressure like this. Most data is engineered around the Hottest available primer, to add an addition safety cushion to data.

A lead cast bullet usually has Less pressure because of reduced friction...friction is usually Higher with copper jackets.

I'll call this Pro, because it is in favor of firing them (or throw them out)...those inertia pullers fire rounds all the time!!! Never had it happen to me, but if you do a search, you find a lot of guys have had them blow up!! An if a kid/newbie was seating the primers, odds are that not all the primers got fully seated...this will greatly increase the possibility of the inertia puller blowing up.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Re: Reload safety question [Re: freedom475] #142258 03/02/2014 6:07 PM
dogsbreath Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This accurate no.9 is real fine. Do you figure it was not the adjustment changing, but the powder packing into the same space tighter? The Dillon goes by volume, not weight. I've not used lots of different powders, but this is the finest one so far. It is almost like water when you pour it back into a case.
If it is a property of the powder, how do you deal with that? only weigh rounds? check every one? Only load low power so 'overages' won't go over max?
Understand, I've got a lot of Scotch and Irish blood in me. I can be real cheap. But I like to think that I've gotten to 50 with 10 fingers and two eyes by not being a complete idiot, so scraping is probably the cheap way to fix this.
With a hammer type inertia puller, how would the round detonate? Nothing is contacting the primer.

Thanks for the input guys,
Dogsbreath

Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142260 03/02/2014 6:31 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Dog & Freedom..

I've used an inertia puller for many rounds over the years and never had a discharge. As dog states, there is no contact with the primer. I don't understand how any one would get a discharge using one. Dog, when using the inertial puller, I just pull 'em apart, pour the contents into a bowl, separate the powder for reuse, clean the powder from the lubed bullet with my fingers and reuse everything. Never had any problems. The re-reloads may not be as accurate due to possible seating and crimp damage to the shank of the cast bullet, but still minute of pop can. I have used AA#9 since it became available; and, because of its grain size and density, it has always metered well, in fact, better than most, as far as consistency is concerned.

Doc

Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142261 03/02/2014 6:58 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: dogsbreath
This accurate no.9 is real fine. Do you figure it was not the adjustment changing, but the powder packing into the same space tighter? The Dillon goes by volume, not weight. I've not used lots of different powders, but this is the finest one so far. It is almost like water when you pour it back into a case.
If it is a property of the powder, how do you deal with that? only weigh rounds? check every one? Only load low power so 'overages' won't go over max?
Understand, I've got a lot of Scotch and Irish blood in me. I can be real cheap. But I like to think that I've gotten to 50 with 10 fingers and two eyes by not being a complete idiot, so scraping is probably the cheap way to fix this.
With a hammer type inertia puller, how would the round detonate? Nothing is contacting the primer.

Thanks for the input guys,
Dogsbreath

You might want to check on the dispenser to make sure it is working properly, but I drop a similar powder density from a Lyman 55 with consistancy so I wouldn't suspect it has to do with "settling" or any such thing. A few words of advice, unless you need to chase the maximum velocity to get your gun to shoot well, there really isn't all that much to be gained by a few FPS with these short fat bulldozers ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Reload safety question [Re: doc with a glock] #142262 03/02/2014 7:23 PM
freedom475 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have used the hammer puller since they first came out...never had a problem. But since the internet, I have seen several cases of them firing rounds...speculation would suggest that the primers were not seated fully and the impact of the hammer sends the primers (or just the anvil) forward into the primer pocket, thus firing the primer.
Since hearing of this, I now am quite delicate with my hammer puller and use several lighter blows on wood to remove my bullets..for years one HARD slam to the concrete would make short work of the bullet pulling job.(still never made one fire)

#9 meters very well...settling can occur with the first few impacts of the charge bar (say 10)...but after that it will remain quite consistent.

My only thought to myself is...if you are going to worry so much about such an insignificant amount (.2gr) of powder why would you ever load so close to maximum on a progressive press??

I hate answering these kinds of questions...but if it were my loads, I would not even question the loads and go spend a fun time at the range with my SBH...But since you didn't even load these, and you are unsure if maybe the charge bar adjuster was possibly bumped. The loads could be who-knows-what?? If it got bumped once...maybe it was bumped/changed 20 times through the course of the session.

Pull them with your hammer puller, but go easy!! and take note of any primers that might be "proud"...

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Re: Reload safety question [Re: freedom475] #142266 03/03/2014 12:33 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
When in doubt, pull them, save the components.I never had a problem with a kinetic bullet puller.

Re: Reload safety question [Re: racksmasher1] #142274 03/03/2014 2:00 AM
dogsbreath Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
'K, I'm pulling them. I figured that anyway, but it is nice to get some confirmation too.
Thanks guys,
Dogsbreath

Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142276 03/03/2014 4:14 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Better safe than sorry. I'd have pulled them, too. They may have been perfectly safe, but then again they may not.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Reload safety question [Re: Chance Weldon] #142277 03/03/2014 4:22 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Better safe than sorry. I'd have pulled them, too. They may have been perfectly safe, but then again they may not.

Yeah, its everything after the "but" that justifies pulling them!

I say good decision!!

Last edited by raptortrapper; 03/03/2014 4:23 AM. Reason: typo

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Reload safety question [Re: Raptortrapper] #142309 03/04/2014 1:35 AM
dogsbreath Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hole - lee - cow! I pulled all the rounds, no issues. I started re-reloading them.
Then, right before I stopped for the evening, I apparently left my left index finger in the path of the press. Yeow! That smarts.

I took the time, in retro-spect, to re-read the owners manual. Seems they recommend not leaving body parts in the path of the ram.

Live and learn...

Dogsbreath

Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142311 03/04/2014 2:21 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yep, I did that once. Once.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Reload safety question [Re: Chance Weldon] #142352 03/04/2014 11:51 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Theres nothing like direct instant feedback to show you how bad you just messed up. Pain gets your attention right away don't it!!!!and sharpens your focus.

junebug
Re: Reload safety question [Re: dogsbreath] #142405 03/05/2014 11:52 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I don't think 20.2 versus 20.4 is significant. 5-10% over might make think a little but the percent you are over is negligible. If the load being used was a different powder like Bullseye where 10ths make a difference, then its a new ball game.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Reload safety question [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #142450 03/07/2014 2:19 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
My $0.02, if your unsure of the load, take 'em apart! Saves much in the long run, good for stress relief.

Doc

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod