Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sonic Cleaner Solution #142536 03/09/2014 6:33 PM
freedom475 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I waited to post this until I was sure...but now with a lot of testing, I'm positive!!...This works.

Since I got a sonic cleaner I have had trouble finding the Hornady Brass cleaner at my local stores...When I did find it I saw that it was quite expensive.

I wondered, "What could it be made of?" A little research produced the Hornady "Manufactures Data Safety Sheet"..

It is just a 15% solution of "Citric Acid" I looked on ebay and sure enough 5lbs of pure Citric Acid for $14 Shipped!!. In 3 days it was on my doorstep.

I did several batches and wasn't really convinced...It cleaned very well, but my brass looked kind of tarnished. Using distilled water helps..but not completely.

Then I tried cold water and there was the answer!!! I even use tap water now. (but distilled water really makes things shine!)

2 tsp's of citric crystals and few drops of dish soap, 30min in the Hornady Magnum..and my brass looks new, inside and out as well as the primer pockets. Even with my Black Powder loads.

I have now cleaned every brass that I can find and after many 1000's of brass I feel it is the answer. I hope this helps you guys out...unless you like it when Hornady gets in behind you and forces you to "assume-the-position" lol
\:\(

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Re: Sonic Cleaner Solution [Re: freedom475] #142545 03/10/2014 2:28 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Useful Research! May have to give it a try one day.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Sonic Cleaner Solution [Re: KRal] #142695 03/14/2014 2:42 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Really? It's just a citric acid solution? That's interesting.

How well does the sonic cleaner perform compared to a dry media tumbler? Seems like it would get rid of the problem of red dust coating everything in the vicinity.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Sonic Cleaner Solution [Re: Chance Weldon] #142736 03/15/2014 3:06 AM
freedom475 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The sonic is NO comparison to the dry media. The sonic gives you clean brass....Sometimes I add my brass to the corncob tumbler after it is cleaned in the sonic. This puts a real high shine/polish to the brass in no time.

I figured I was one of the last hold-outs. I shoot competitive Black Powder Cartridge Rifle so case cleaning is a major part of my 'mess

I have a vibrating thumbler...that red dust is terrible stuff!!! I switched to the green long ago . I used it for years cause it was what I had, but I always hated it.
Plugs your flash holes, but does not clean primer pockets.
Corn cob is everywhere in my loading area...
Plus it does a TERRIBLE job of cleaning my brass on the inside and it takes forever. I used to run it at night (all night)

Then I discovered porcelain media in a tumbler...this works great. But it is not much fun to deal with all the little shards of porcelain and the fancy Lemni-shine soaps are expensive and extremely messy.

I was just about to try the new Stainless Steel media when my father-in-law convinced me to try my brass in his little Hornady Sonic...

Man do I wish I had tried the sonic years ago!!!...after seeing what his little cleaner did to Black Powder stained brass I immediately called Cabela's and had them ship me the Sonic Magnum.

I cleaned all of my brass with the new cleaner and you would not believe how much of that red dust was in my cases...And I have not used the red rouge media for around 7 or 8 years!!!!

There may be more to the Hornady brand solution, but nothing more than some citric acid and a few drops of dish soap is needed.

Here is the MSDS from Hornady... http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/msds/OneShot_Sonic_Clean_Case_Formula.pdf

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod