Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
trouble with extraction on tc barrel #9322 07/26/2005 12:58 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you contender shooters out there ever had difficulties with extraction? This is not pressure related as it extracts with the same difficulty whether fired or an unfired round is being extracted. I have turned my full length sizer down far enough to have excessive headspace so i dont believe that my cases are not being resized small enough. I dont see how the extractor could bind but that is what it is acting like any way if anyone has ever had similar problems I would love to hear from you. Thanks alot

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: joe2] #9323 07/26/2005 11:04 AM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
What caliber is this? New barrel, old barrel? Is this a TC barrel or after market? Was it extracting okay previous to this problem? How does the brass look after firing?

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: Hawkeye] #9324 07/26/2005 12:35 PM
JRMoore Offline
..not sure what caliber you are shooting, but I have had very tight chambers on 7TCU's that required a "small base body die" to be made....problem cured......I could have sent the barrel back to have re-reamed.....

JR

JRMoore With God all things are possible !!!
Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: Hawkeye] #9325 07/27/2005 3:26 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
This barrel is an older 10 inch 30-30 that is round for the first two or three inches then is tapered octagon from there out. This is a factory TC barrel, and no the problem has recently started as I knew the fella who had it before me and I
had actually used this barrel on occassion before I bought it recently. The reloading dies that I am using, I have had for years and have used them on three other 30-30s (none of which were TCs). The brass looks normal, and as I stated in the original post, I have the same extraction problem on an unfired round (as in unloading a live round). joe

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: JRMoore] #9326 07/27/2005 3:37 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
jrmoore, That is very interesting, I know that just tighting the sizer die down will drive the shoulder back and do little to reduce the base diameter, But I tried it just the same to see if it would cure the extacting problem, it didnt, so Im wondering now if you are right and my chamber is just a little tight. I should say that the brass that I am using is older brass that I have had for a while and it was originally used in a bolt action 30-30 that I no longer have. I would think though that my resizing die would size the casing back down to specs. I should start out with some new brass and see what effect that has on this situation.
thanks joe

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: joe2] #9327 07/27/2005 11:57 AM
gmj531 Offline
stranger
stranger
joe2 I shoot a 30/30 bbl also I had trouble with the brass going from a T/C to a Marlin. 30/30 brass imho tends to lenghten fairly quickly. Might want to check the case lenght if you are not already doing so. Also on a .357Max bbl I have I had a similar problem and took a small piece of scotch brite pad on a dremel tool and very lightly polished the chamber and corrected the problem. Oh and I now keep my 30/30 brass for rifle and T/C seperate and do not interchange them. Hope this helps.

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: joe2] #9328 07/27/2005 2:25 PM
Cisco Offline
Joe,

Have you removed the extractor and cleaned it and the slot it fits in?

I clean the extractor with a bronze cleaning brush (like a tooth brush) and Flitz, and the slot with a worn out bronze barrel brush and Q-tips. Lots of crud can hide in there. Then oil the part and slot with Rem-oil.

Just an idle thought. This likely has nothing to do with your problem but it can't hurt to do this.

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: joe2] #9329 07/27/2005 5:14 PM
Cossack Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Assuming your dies are set OK, check the case length, and case neck thickness, esp if you have to use some extra effort to close gun on the cartridge. Could be one or the other is causing a tighter than necessary neck to chamber fit.

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: Cossack] #9330 07/28/2005 2:15 AM
joe2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
cossack, I hate to admit that I had not thought of that, I should know better, thank you for your reply. I will try that and report back. joe

Re: trouble with extraction on tc barrel [Re: joe2] #9331 07/28/2005 3:22 PM
Cisco Offline
Joe,

Have you tried a factory round in it?

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod