Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review #142664 03/14/2014 1:58 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I know there are one or two guys on here that backpack in on hunts.
I just picked up a new Kifaru duplex frame, Highcamp 7000 bag, & hunting cargo panel.
It was a bit more money than I usually spend on that type of thing (About $700 with shipping in the solid foliage color I got) but I'm spending more time backpack hunting & the smallest critters I get to hunt are black bear so I want to be comfortable with large loads.
I got it about 2 weeks ago, & due to the time of year I don't any field experience with it yet but have treadmill & road time with it with about 47# gross weight. Longest treadmill/road sessions have been about an hour (4 miles). I have to say it is the most comfortable pack I have ever worn with this moderate weight in it. I have a Cabela's Alaskan frame & pack & a Barneys Alaskan freighter frame & neither are in the same league. The Barneys may compare at 100# or more but I doubt it will beat the Kifaru & the barney's frame is almost as heavy as the Kifaru frame & bag.
Workmanship seems to be first class, just excellent, as does the engineering.
hopefully I can give a field report with some spring bear pictures in a couple of months!

What packs are you guys using? Any other Kifaru users?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Vance in AK.] #142667 03/14/2014 2:12 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I'm using a Badlands pack, and I haven't been impressed with it at all. May take a look at the Kifaru stuff after reading what you posted.

Thanks!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Raptortrapper] #142673 03/14/2014 3:05 AM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
I use a couple of different Eberlestock packs depending on conditions. They offer a wide variety of styles for different applications.

Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Mark Hampton] #142706 03/14/2014 5:46 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I know there is other good stuff out there but so far i am impressed.
Mark, i forgot to mention i have an Eberlestock Bluewidow that has been my go to pack the last 3 yrs. I do like it & they make good stuff at great prices. Have the super spike duffle with it. My son will start using it this yr at age 11 & im sure it will serve him many years. But, having put like loads in both i believe the kifaru has a definite edge in comforf as the weight goes up. For loads up to 50 not a big difference, but beyond there it really shows for me. But everyones back is different. Kifaru is also a bit lighter with the Highcamp 7000 bag than the eberlestock with super spike. Eberlestock has more orginization than Highcamp bag as highcamp is 7000ci single pocket, but thats why i chose it over other kifaru bags. I can organize with light stuff sacks or dry bags. I also really like the idea of quickly taking the bag off & sticking the cargo panel on for hauling moose quaters whole. They will fit in the bag but the panel is perfect for the job.
Coming out with a light camp & a normal boned black bear i should be able to put bear & part of camp in bag & use cargo panel too for rest of light gear piggybacked on bag. Can also use cargo panel between bag & frame to keep heavy stuff close to you (meat & hide) & lighter stuff (camp) in bag. Can do same with eberlestock & super spike duffle., but not as much capacity & less comfort when u break 100#. We shall see.

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Vance in AK.] #142726 03/15/2014 2:02 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Vance, the Kifaru is obviously top notch but I haven't found the urge to spend for it. I still my use my Bul-Pacs frame out of Idaho? and strap my bags to it. It has not worn out yet and I've had it since '95. The Alaskan is junk in my mind. It flexed too much for me with a hind quarter and antlers strapped on. The Bull-Pac has never wavered. All my hunt buddies use one now. It comes in normal and tall sizes...but I will say I am only 5'8" and the normal just fits. If I was shorter, it would probably uncomfortable. This is just me, but I don't like getting everything all bloody, that why I pack the way I do.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #142739 03/15/2014 5:02 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Ive heard really good things about the Bul Pac Gerry! I doubt you will EVER wear that thing out & would love to try one! I really like my Barney's frame too. I think its a great frame, very ridged & great suspension. But,i like having my pack with me all day so i have basic overnight neccesities with me at all times & if i do kill something i can haul a load out. The frame pack has been a pain for me because i do much of my hunting in country that is choked with alders & the upper ears of the frame are constantly hanging up on stuff. When using a pack like the eberlestock or kifaru & packing meat in the bag i line it with a large contractors garbage bag to keep it clean.
Differenf strokes for different folks!
I know packs arent a one size fits all kinda thing.

Sorry for all the misspelling in these posts. Did them on my phone & my fingers just don't work that well!!!!
Finally got home & fixed them on the laptop.

Last edited by Vance in AK.; 03/15/2014 2:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Vance in AK.

Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Vance in AK.] #142742 03/15/2014 3:30 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Thanks for the heads up!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: Ernie] #142774 03/16/2014 2:30 PM
zac0419 Offline
KIfaru makes great stuff and stands behind their product. The have a forum over off of their website that is pretty good for seeing the stuff in reviews.

I bought one of their KU5200 packs and it was the most comfortable pack I've ever worn but he ultralight stuff just wasn't for me. I decided I'd carry an extra pound or two to have a pack with a more durable material. I never ripped it but it was so light it scared me. I changed the way I hiked to avoid it touching anything. I'd rather be able to just plow through stuff and I am too cheap to see if it would hold up to that kind of abuse.

Zac
CO
Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: zac0419] #145707 05/30/2014 9:28 PM
RandyB Offline
stranger
stranger
I have been using a G1 Longhunter for about 7 years.
I also use a 6-man tipi and stove. In my opinion, this gear allows one to go further into the backcountry in relative comfort. Especially if you are going to carry heavy loads without the benefit of trails.
Last summer my partner and I hauled my bear out of the North Cascades for 9 miles. 5 miles was no trail just bushwhacking back to the nearest trail on the map. We hauled out the full hide and every once of boned out meat...packs weighed somewhere north of 100#. While not a fun time, the Kifaru packs allowed us to make only one trip out of some very gnarly country. I will likely never use any other brand of pack.

Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: RandyB] #145725 05/31/2014 5:16 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I got a teepee. Its awesome with the camp stove and is worth every penny

Re: Backpack hunters... short Kifaru review [Re: RandyB] #145735 05/31/2014 2:26 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: RandyB
I have been using a G1 Longhunter for about 7 years.
I also use a 6-man tipi and stove. In my opinion, this gear allows one to go further into the backcountry in relative comfort. Especially if you are going to carry heavy loads without the benefit of trails.
Last summer my partner and I hauled my bear out of the North Cascades for 9 miles. 5 miles was no trail just bushwhacking back to the nearest trail on the map. We hauled out the full hide and every once of boned out meat...packs weighed somewhere north of 100#. While not a fun time, the Kifaru packs allowed us to make only one trip out of some very gnarly country. I will likely never use any other brand of pack.

Randy,

Welcome aboard, and thanks for reminding me of some miserable times bushwhacking with overloaded packs in the North cascades. I can even guess your thinking.....This is gonna suck, so lets get it all in one trip. I always wanted the hide, so my pack was usually close to a 100. Problem is that this was back before the high tech gear. My Coleman pack with plastic frame was supposed to be high tech. With the load flexing and bouncing, the pack usually led the way, we me just doing a poor job at steering....

Don't do a lot of backpacking anymore, but I do check out gear from time to time. My daypack does well, but I really should get a new "real" backpack.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod