Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disappointing Test #142750 03/15/2014 10:59 PM
DeerDad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I went to the woods for some bullet testing today. I bought some SWC-HP 240grain bullets and put them on top of 24 grains of H110. I read this was the bullets used by Buffalo Bore and marketed as deer grenades. After penetrating 20" of wet paper towel rolls there was only 85 grains of the 240 left. The bullet performed as marketed there was lead shrapnel throughout wound channel and the entry was definitely explosive. I am just leery the bullet may not pass through on a quartering shot. The 310 and 260 grain SWC bullets passed through 40" of wet paper towels.

Re: Disappointing Test [Re: DeerDad] #142751 03/15/2014 11:10 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
performed as marketed there was lead shrapnel throughout wound channel

That is not really what I am looking for in a big game hunting bullet. What is the perceived advantage of this?

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Disappointing Test [Re: s4s4u] #142752 03/15/2014 11:13 PM
DeerDad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
performed as marketed there was lead shrapnel throughout wound channel

That is not really what I am looking for in a big game hunting bullet. What is the perceived advantage of this?

I am not sure. I thought the bullet would hold together better than this or at least retain more weight.

Re: Disappointing Test [Re: DeerDad] #142762 03/16/2014 4:36 AM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I have some of these bullets in 45 caliber. I picked them up to test in my 45 Super. Problem is that I cannot get them going fast enough to hit the published thresholds for "grenading". I guess I would have to try them in my Casull ;^)

I'll probably test them later this spring/summer. Not really sure why I picked them up, other than I was buying quite a few more other bullets, and they sounded intriguing.

If anyone is interested, they are sold by Rim Rock bullets. They offer a huge selection of bullets, various hardnesses and nose profiles. I tested out some of their 255 SWC's today for velocity and accuracy, and in my new 625 PC 45acp/Super, they are stunningly accurate. That gun, and my 1911's also love the 250 rnfp bullets.

I have done a couple of orders with them, and the bullets ship and arrive in less than a week, and you will get email confirmations and tracking numbers. Very pleased with the company.

Still trying to decide whether I want to cram some 270 grain Keith's in an acp/super case ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Disappointing Test [Re: Bearbait in NM] #142767 03/16/2014 11:46 AM
mike.44 Offline
addict
addict
To me this seems like the proverbial solution to a problem that doesn't exist. They may be fun to shoot but why would you want to that much mush out of good meat? JMHO.

Re: Disappointing Test [Re: mike.44] #142846 03/18/2014 12:26 PM
MePlat Offline
"To me this seems like the proverbial solution to a problem that doesn't exist."

Lets see if I can shed some light with my limited knowledge.
1. There is and will be a market for explosive type bullets.
2. The market may or may not be small.
3. Sundles is in the business to make money.
4. The more markets and niches he fills the more money he makes.
5. The more money he makes the happier he and his wife and kids
are.
So with that being said its not a solution to a problem but it is a solution to making more money.
I am a fan of Buffalo bore and have purchased some of his ammo (although none of this stuff) so I am looking at it from a business sense only.
Since I am wrong so much of the time I am probably wrong on this too.
But I bet his hunting handguns aren't loaded with it.
But then again who knows.

Full Speed Ahead, Show No Mercy, and Never Look Back. Do You Think I Really Care?
Re: Disappointing Test [Re: MePlat] #142847 03/18/2014 12:31 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: MePlat
Since I am wrong so much of the time I am probably wrong on this too.

I thought I was wrong once too... but I was MISTAKEN!!

HAHAHA! Seriously though MePlat, I feel like I'm right there with ya most days. However, if we don't make all the mistakes, how are we supposed to show everyone else what NOT to do??!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Disappointing Test [Re: Raptortrapper] #142857 03/18/2014 3:54 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Taken directly from the website:

"At an impact velocity of 1,100 fps it will mushroom to about 80 cal. and should push right through any deer with a broadside shot.
At an impact velocity of 1,500 fps it will mushroom and some of the mushroom will fragment off and send bullet particles flying through the deer, but much of the mushroom and shank will remain intact and should push through any deer hit broadside.
At an impact velocity of 1,900 fps the entire mushroom will turn to shrapnel and send bullet particles all throughout the deer. The shank will remain intact, but will re-mushroom and do horrific damage inside the deer and will probably push through any deer hit broadside.

Of course, results will vary depending on how much bone, if any, is hit, etc... This load was designed specifically to do horrific damage to deer sized animals such as average black bear and hogs. It will make an incredible anti-personnel load if you can handle the recoil. It is flash suppressed and will not blind the shooter if used in low light when the criminal element and wild animals are most active."

I thought a little more info might be useful to the conversation, for those that have not seen the details.

When I purchased them in 45 caliber, I anticipated not getting them to 1500 fps. Therefore, I was seeing them as mostly an expanding lead bullet. There are not scads of this type of bullet in the component bullet market. Adding an expanding lead bullet to the jacketed v. hardcast lead debate is probably just throwing gasoline on the fire, but if you believe his description, it would be easy to see that you could control the velocity and in turn how the bullet behaves.

BB also offers a anti-personnel round that features a lead hollow point bullet. perhaps it is the same bullet?

So yes Meplat, I would probably have no use in my hunting gun during hunting season, but up at the ranch we tote or hunting handguns around all year, as we do have other non-hunting situations that do arise from time to time ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod