Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First handgun kill - or, it would have been #143789 04/10/2014 4:30 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
November 18th, 2012: the second day of Tennessee's gun season.

For several months leading up to deer season, I had been practicing with my then new Smith and Wesson Model 460. I practiced at various ranges and from different field positions, sending countless factory loads and handloads downrange over the course of the summer and into the fall. My confidence in my shooting abilities increasing every shooting session, I felt prepared to take to the woods armed with a handgun - a dream I've had ever since taking the hunter safety course all those years ago.

One shooting session in late September put a damper on that dream. It started out normally enough, but soon I noticed an issue arise. When I'd try to close the cylinder, it wouldn't latch into place, meaning it couldn't fire. I did what I could in an attempt to fix it, namely taking apart what I could to clean everything thoroughly, but my efforts were in vain. I took it to a gunsmith, who later informed me he had to send it off to Smith & Wesson to have the faulty cylinder locking mechanism replaced. Fortunately, that was covered under the warranty.

I hoped that it wouldn’t be a long wait, but I was wrong. Weeks passed with no word about my 460. Then muzzleloader season came and went, the opening day of which saw me bring down the first buck I’d killed on the property in three years, a respectable 8-point, just minutes before legal shooting light ended. My success, along with the prospect of even larger bucks running around as evidenced by trail cameras, continued to build up my excitement for gun season. Now if only I would get my 460 back in time.

It didn’t happen. The opening morning of gun season saw my load my old Weatherby Vanguard with five 270 Wiinchester rounds and take to the woods. However, that day was rather uneventful, with only a few does and small bucks making an appearance. I headed back to the house as night fell, ready to head out again the next morning.

November 18th, 2012. I sat in a blind positioned on the southern edge of a rectangular field roughly 400 yards wide and 200 yards long. Since I wasn’t limited by the range of a handgun, why not choose a location that may require me to reach out and shoot at extended ranges? A buck walked out just before shooting light; I couldn’t tell much about him due to the low light conditions, except that he was likely a decent buck. I passed on him, hopeful he’d return later so I could get a better look at him.

I saw the doe first, at about 7:10 that morning. She stepped out of the woods at roughly 60 yards or so to my right, walking diagonally leftward and into the field. Two fawns followed closely behind. I stupidly had positioned myself for a shot to my left, and with three pairs of eyes watching me I didn’t want to risk moving the rifle to the correct window. I had to move it, however, when I saw the buck that was following her.

It was his thick, swollen neck that first alerted me to the fact that a large buck was bearing down on my position. I only saw his antlers after he fully cleared the edge of the woods. His antlers easily spread past his ears, which is my primary criteria for shooting a buck. He couldn’t have been any more than 40 yards away; easily within handgun range, if I had mine with me.

He saw me move the rifle, but I managed to capture his attention with a grunt call just as I was inexplicably struck with a leg cramp. As he turned to face his “challenger,” I put a 130 grain Ballistic Tip in his shoulder. He began to run, but he didn’t get far. He was dead long before I reached him. I admired his rack as I waited for the pain in my leg to subside. He was, and still is, my largest buck ever, both in antler and body size.

The irony of all this? I got my 460 back the very next day.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: Chance Weldon] #143798 04/10/2014 10:15 PM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
That's a beauty!!!

Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: BINGO] #143844 04/11/2014 7:36 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Enjoy it no matter how you got it. There will be plenty of time for the .460 to show itself. reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: reflex264] #143869 04/12/2014 2:48 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That's a beautiful buck, congrats. There's plenty left for the 460.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: KRal] #143870 04/12/2014 2:55 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Yeah, I know, but the irony in getting the 460 back the next day is what kills me. I guess my 270 needed one last moment of glory before it lost its place as my primary hunting weapon, though.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: Chance Weldon] #143878 04/12/2014 4:15 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A bird in the hand........ ;-)

That is a fine buck and one to be proud of.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: s4s4u] #144402 04/23/2014 2:49 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Thats a real fine buck,Id be proud of him.

Dave Tarbell
Re: First handgun kill - or, it would have been [Re: Dave Tarbell] #144428 04/24/2014 1:39 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Thanks. I am proud of him, especially considering everything that went wrong when he walked out.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod