Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone heard of 38 special "+P+" ammo? #9389 07/30/2005 2:46 AM
Debbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I ordered some "+P" 38 ammo online and when I got it, it turned out to be labelled "+P+". This is Winchester "110 Gr. Jacketed Controlled-Expansion" ammo and the label says "for law enforcement only/not for retail sale" and says that the ammo has average pressure of 15-20% higher than +P standard and "will permanently damage aluminum or lightweight frame revolvers." I ordered two boxes, one was supposed to be plain 38 special, not even +P, but that one too had the same higher-than +P pressure warnings.
I have an all-steel S&W 36LS, but when I called S&W they said that this ammo cannot be used in the 36LS. I am wondering what types of guns this ammo can be used in. Anyone know? Unfortunately I have to give away the ammo (100 rounds) because the 36LS is the only 38 special I have, and I don't have a 357 magnum either.

Re: Anyone heard of 38 special "+P+" ammo? [Re: Debbie] #9390 08/01/2005 5:44 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
that ammo is supposed to be able to be fired in any steel framed revolver in good condition...even yours. it may accelerate wear since the 36 ladysmith is a j-frame size revolver but i don't know that 2 boxes would hurt it. however, if s&w said don't you may not want to. it is higher pressure ammo, but still much less than that of a 357 and there are plenty of j-frames(small frame) so chambered. it may be very unpleasant to shoot though...recoil and noise. i don't know where you got it, but they should at least take back the one box since you didn't order it. ammo sales are usually final, but if it was their mistake maybe they will fix it. of course, this could be a sign that you were meant to have a new 357 or heavy 38 to add to your collection. who knows?

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Anyone heard of 38 special "+P+" ammo? [Re: bisleyfan44] #9391 08/01/2005 10:34 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Ya know Debbie, Bisley is right I think that another gun is in order here. Get a really nice 357 mag and shoot up the +P+ ammo. I would not want to see that ammo sit on a shelf and grow dust!!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod