Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A little night time pest control #144235 04/20/2014 3:47 PM
Swampcrawler Offline OP
OP Offline

Well guys, wandering through Cabelas a few days ago, I fell in love with and purchased a little bearcat shopkeeper (stainless 3 inch barrel, birds head grip). Before dark I shot her about 75 times and saw that my CCI standard velocity solids shot relatively well out of it. 

Later in the day a neighbor and friend of my 16 year old step brother asked us to go see if we could rid him of some of the critters that eat his cow feed at night. So around 9 pm he, with the CZ American 17hmr wearing a Redfield 2-7 (a Christmas gift from me) and me with my tiny little .22 wheel gun headed out to the property. 

About 75 yards from the truck my brother spotted a coon watching us from an oak tree. We got up under the tree and looking through the scope of his rifle all i could see was half a head poking out behind a big fork and the leaves prevented any other angle. So i tried it and missed twice before he handed me his rifle. A .17 hmr game point is a beautiful thing. 

So we continued on our way and got to the big cow feeder. Standing in said feeder eating his heart out was a poor little opossum. (Not the brightest of creatures, and I in no way call this HUNTING. Just pest elimination in a fun way) so flashlight on him we walked up to about 15 yards and I pulled my little pistol. Man stainless on stainless fixed bearcat sights are not the best at night. 

I popped off 2 shots before I remembered that whole "trigger control" business, then slowed it down, rested his ear atop my rather hard to make out front sight and squeezed it off. Bullet struck nearly exactly at point of aim. 

Instantly afterwards my partner took off towards a nearby oak tree and smoked coon number 2 with the cz. 

Walking back to the trail, within 5 minutes another set of eyes lit up in the flashlight beam. Poor possum number 2 was waddling through the grass. He held the light on him while I walked to about 20 yards and rested my forearms against a small tree and set the front sight behind the front shoulder (his head was turned where I couldn't see it) and touched off the little pop gun. Again striking within an inch of point of aim. 

Unfortunately that was the end of our success, but a run in with a group of hogs in a thicket beside a trail between fields made me realize I truly need myself a big bore to match the possum slayer ASAP. 

Just a simple little night time shooting but these were my first handgun kills. A year ago I would have never believed that I could kill anything with a brand new to me, 3 inch barreled, fix sighted .22 at night! Lots of fun. So here are a few pics! 

Last edited by Swampcrawler; 04/20/2014 3:48 PM.
Re: A little night time pest control [Re: Swampcrawler] #144236 04/20/2014 4:01 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
crawler,

The Bearcat should be called the "possum getter" not the "shopkeeper!" The Bearcats are great little guns, have 2.

Doc

Re: A little night time pest control [Re: doc with a glock] #144238 04/20/2014 4:12 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Coons eating all the feed in a barn? I know what that's like. Glad you got them, those little pests will tear everything up looking for food.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: A little night time pest control [Re: Chance Weldon] #144242 04/20/2014 4:42 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Congrats on the varmint control. We had a skunk out under one of our barns on Friday night.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: A little night time pest control [Re: Franchise] #144245 04/20/2014 5:08 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Swamp,

Great job. I actually turned my Bearcat barrel a smidge, and filed the sights and flattened the rear sight hump for the CCI minimag ammo. I love mine.

I found some cold blue that while not making the sights real black, does take the shine and give me a grey view. A black marker in the rear notch actually stays pretty well. It stays in the gun case with my FA in 454. Hint, hint......

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: A little night time pest control [Re: Swampcrawler] #144262 04/20/2014 7:35 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That is some fine shootin' with the little 6 there.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: A little night time pest control [Re: austingwendell] #144543 04/27/2014 1:56 PM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
A 22lr to the ear is pretty permanent
HH

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod