Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: campbellkids] #144821 05/03/2014 4:06 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Campbellkids, I always carry a video camera while hunting, and I highly recommend it. It's a fun addition to a hunting trip, especially considering you never know what you might see.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Chance Weldon] #144842 05/04/2014 3:32 AM
mingokid Offline
I "hunted" with a handgun for several years before actually taking a deer. I had shot squirrels and groudhogs and other small game but not "big" game. To me the HUNT is much more enjoyable than the actual kill. I am north of 50 now so that is a big part of the matter. When I was younger, I wasn't as particular. My advice would be the same as in other "pursuits" in life, relax and let it happen. Enjoy each moment in the woods or field. MK

I know not what the future holds but, I know who holds the future!
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Chance Weldon] #144924 05/08/2014 11:29 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
I just got to thinking after reading some older posts about other guys' first handgun kills. Am I the only one on this website who hasn't killed anything with a handgun yet?

Still workin on it! Screwed up on a decent Bull Moose a couple years ago. Tried a handgun hunt for a Dall Sheep last year but could'nt close the gap below 270 yds so my partner shot it with his 270 long gun. Gonna try for black bear if we can get a bait station setup. Headed out in a bit to find a spot to bait. Waitin for my partners call.

EDIT... I guess I have technically killed with a handgun. A few Ptarmigan with my Pastors Single Six. Camp meat!

Last edited by Snyd; 05/08/2014 11:34 PM.
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Snyd] #145041 05/11/2014 6:02 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Snyd
EDIT... I guess I have technically killed with a handgun. A few Ptarmigan with my Pastors Single Six. Camp meat!

Oh yeah, that counts; small game are harder to kill anyway!
\:D

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: cfish2] #145128 05/14/2014 5:33 AM
RedSS Offline
 Originally Posted By: cfish2
One school of thought I have carried into the woods while handgun hunting has been to think like a bow hunter. Which of course I have hunted with a bow all my life as well. It has increased the odds exponentially when it comes to hunting with handguns.

That's excellent advice. Think like a bowhunter when first starting out with a handgun. Practice as much as you can, and set yourself up for a close-range shot. When I first started hunting in earnest with a handgun, I'd always go to my "bow" stands, since I'd set these up with an expectation of close-range shots.

Practice some more, and get to know your handgun intimately--what load it likes, your maximum distance in various field positions, and how that favored load shoots at all distances (for example, I know I'm a lousy shot with a little flinching problem from youth that I've never quite gotten over, and generally I won't even attempt any offhand, unsupported shot beyond 30 yards). Knowing exactly where the bullet will go, in any field position, at any range, is a huge confidence booster.

Start with small game. It's quite the challenge, the game is abundant and seasons are long which makes for excellent practice, learning your limits, and building confidence in your abilities, and if you're successful, it makes a great meal.

On missing the shot--strive to make a clean kill with the first, but if you don't connect, don't worry about it. Just mentally collect yourself and put the next one where it has to go. I've watched plenty of whitetails that either were not the intended target or were first-round misses that just simply go to high-alert mode ("freeze and observe"), which usually makes for a fine second-round target as long as you don't fidget around and blow your position. As an example, a few seasons ago I had a buck chase a doe by my stand. I got into shooting position when I first saw them. She stopped about 30 yards out, with the buck about 45 yards. I dropped the hammer on the buck first, intending to shoot only him. I watched him stumble off some 20 yards, and when he fell over, I noticed the doe still standing there, just watching the buck. I had a doe tag and very little re-adjustment to do for the second shot, and so drew the hammer back a second time and put her down where she stood. Granted, if I made some major movement adjustment or made noise while setting up for shot #2, I'm sure she would've bolted, but the point is, game doesn't always run to the next county on the first shot.

Jump in feet-first and leave the rifles at home. Like anything worth doing in life, commit yourself to it, and success will follow shortly behind.

Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: RedSS] #145139 05/15/2014 12:48 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Why don't you consider heading to Wilderness Lodge with LABRAT and I this fall? We will be chasing hogs. We usualy try to do this after deer season but things just kept happening and we had to put it off. We spot and stalk them. They have 16000 acres to hunt now so you really are hunting them. Good accomidations as well. They have a processer on sight. We know a mud hole that if all else fails you can set on and within a hour or two you will see hogs. reflex264

Last edited by reflex264; 05/15/2014 10:51 PM.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: reflex264] #145142 05/15/2014 3:13 PM
jaydub in wi Offline
+1 on wilderness. I've been there twice. Last year, I took a hog there with my 41 Blackhawk at around 6 yds. A handgun hog hunt is a great way to start out. I've taken 2 hogs with handguns so far. The other one was with a 44 super Blackhawk. Now I need to get a deer.

Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: jaydub in wi] #145149 05/15/2014 10:54 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Yep it is a great stepping stone to a deer. I started killing deer. I don't even have a clue how many by handgun now. It just happens that way. The hogs are as just plain fun--until they charge! It can happen. It has happend but it teaches you to shoot fast. ;-)

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: campbellkids] #145192 05/16/2014 11:41 PM
Festus Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
it will happen
Took me years to get a whitetail.
I have two under my belt and hope many more to come.
Ive always love the short gun style of hunting.
Next I want a squirrel pistol.

Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Festus] #145195 05/16/2014 11:51 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I need to get a squirrel pistol at some point. Our farm is overrun with them, and our squirrel season runs from the end of August to the end of February.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Chance Weldon] #145246 05/18/2014 1:03 AM
mike.44 Offline
addict
addict
Still after my first. In fact, I just got back about an hour ago from a hog hunt. My buddy was several hundred yards behind me and connected(rifle). I didn't have squat show up. But I am keeping the hope alive. Had my bisley 44 ready....it just wasn't my time.

Last edited by mike.44; 05/18/2014 1:04 AM. Reason: typo
Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: mike.44] #145248 05/18/2014 3:40 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
You know, I admire some of you for your dedication and perseverance.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Chance Weldon] #145324 05/21/2014 3:32 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
For the next 2.5 months I'll be agonizing over whether or not to handgun or rifle hunt for sheep this year. I could have had another one last year with my rifle. But, if I don't handgun hunt for Dall Sheep I'll never get one!
But I'd sure hate to watch a 40 incher walk over the ridge at 250yds! Decisions decisions.... Life's tough in America

Re: Am I the only one without a handgun kill? [Re: Snyd] #145328 05/21/2014 4:03 AM
RedSS Offline
But, if I don't handgun hunt for Dall Sheep I'll never get one!

That is true.

But I'd sure hate to watch a 40 incher walk over the ridge at 250yds!

Use those next 2.5 months to practice hard out to that 250 yd. mark for your upcoming hunt, and the choice will be easy.

Life's tough in America

That it is. I've never had an opportunity to pursue sheep; being a lifelong member of the once-vaunted American "middle class", I probably never will. Nonetheless, there is no question that if I were ever so lucky to participate in such a hunt, a bow or a handgun would be my companion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod