Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? #144820 05/03/2014 3:56 PM
454 Casull Offline OP
OP Offline
FA 454 300 grain HCL bullets loaded hot (1800+). Do you need a gas checked bullet or not. Been using GCs but wanted some more seasoned input.

Last edited by 454 Casull; 05/03/2014 3:57 PM.
Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: 454 Casull] #144822 05/03/2014 4:13 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 454 Casull
FA 454 300 grain HCL bullets loaded hot (1800+). Do you need a gas checked bullet or not. Been using GCs but wanted some more seasoned input.

I think the bigger issue is that a hardcast lead bullet is being pushed that hard. Those speeds will distort the nose when it makes contact with a hard surface, thereby negating its effectiveness. I have run hardcast bullets fairly hard without gas checks, but I think you will be running them too hard at those speeds. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: Whitworth] #144823 05/03/2014 4:23 PM
454 Casull Offline OP
OP Offline
So, you really can push a bullet too fast. I load for speed and accuracy and have achieved that usually at the higher end of the load spectrum. Heck two grains of powder (higher) can make a group shrink a good 2" in my hands. So it is the impact you are concerned about and not what is happening before it leaves the bbl? I can understand that. So if say I hit the clavicle of a mature whitetail buck with the fast stepper the end effect could/would/should be a less effective wound? Not disputing anything just asking to make sure I understand....

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: 454 Casull] #144824 05/03/2014 4:26 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've always heard a gas check is preferable at velocities of 1500 fps or faster.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: 454 Casull] #144825 05/03/2014 5:29 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 454 Casull
So, you really can push a bullet too fast. I load for speed and accuracy and have achieved that usually at the higher end of the load spectrum. Heck two grains of powder (higher) can make a group shrink a good 2" in my hands. So it is the impact you are concerned about and not what is happening before it leaves the bbl? I can understand that. So if say I hit the clavicle of a mature whitetail buck with the fast stepper the end effect could/would/should be a less effective wound? Not disputing anything just asking to make sure I understand....

If deer is on the menu, you can pretty much use any bullet. Thin skin, narrowly and lightly built, so it is a non-issue. I assumed that if you are using a heavy hardcast bullet, you have larger game on your mind. For the speed you seek, I would probably use a gas check, however, I wouldn't personally push them that fast as they will be operating out of their optimal range. Some powders, like 296/H110 do work best at the top end of the load range, no doubt. There are better bullets designed to operate at the velocities you seek. I personally load for accuracy first and foremost, and let the velocity fall where it is. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: Whitworth] #144826 05/03/2014 6:00 PM
454 Casull Offline OP
OP Offline

If deer is on the menu, you can pretty much use any bullet. Thin skin, narrowly and lightly built, so it is a non-issue. I assumed that if you are using a heavy hardcast bullet, you have larger game on your mind. For the speed you seek, I would probably use a gas check, however, I wouldn't personally push them that fast as they will be operating out of their optimal range. Some powders, like 296/H110 do work best at the top end of the load range, no doubt. There are better bullets designed to operate at the velocities you seek. I personally load for accuracy first and foremost, and let the velocity fall where it is. JMHO. [/quote]
So do I, it just happens to be hot. I really appreciate your frankness as that is what I am looking for. I have a good jacketed load but they can be a little pricier (yah I shoot a 454 and worry about $$$)plus the hardcast are just more available, the extra speed doesn't bother me either. No right now just a deer hunter but IMO you cannot hit them hard enough and I am not one to wait for a picture perfect broadside op. You speak of better bullets, what might they be? Currently using the cast performance HC and the Hornady XTP mag. Wish Freedom had never discontinued their 300 gr factory bullet, that was perfect!

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: 454 Casull] #144827 05/03/2014 6:25 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Cast Performance hardcast bullets are among the best. I use hardcast bullets extensively, however, I don't push them as hard as I can because they work better at more subdued velocities. For deer, I lean more towards expanding bullets, particularly in the smaller calibers. I am not suggesting a bullet so light that it will limit you to a broadside shot. I am only saying that I limit the speed I subject my harcast bullets to, and that if one is to push fast, like the .454 is certainly capable of, a tough expanding bullet may be better particularly on thin-skinned game like deer. I like the Swift A-frame, XTP Mag bullets are also good. Cutting Edge Bullets are also really good, and accurate, but they aren't cheap. They can handle the speed, and they don't open a lot. Hardcast work great, but they like lower speeds as the material cannot withstand high impact velocities without distorting. But then again, deer don't require a lot of penetration, and the cast bullet will still work.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: 454 Casull] #144828 05/03/2014 6:36 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
So do I, it just happens to be hot.

There are other propellants besides H110/296 that work in a lower velocity curve while maintaining good accuracy. H110 likes a full case, and I fill my 45 Colt cases up with it when shooting expanding bullets because they need it. Obviously the Casull will demand more powder and provide even more velocity. When I don't require the velocity it takes to get an XTP to work properly I use HS-6, but there others that perfom similarily. Hard cast don't have to fly at warp speed to do the job.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: s4s4u] #144829 05/03/2014 7:53 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Disregarding the gas-check portion of the question & addressing impact velocity I will say that this year I killed my moose (mid size bull) using my Marlin Guide Gun in 450 Marlin(yeah I know it's not a handgun but at 18" the barrel is shorter than some guys Encore "handguns" :-) ) using a 420gr hardcast bullet at around 1900 fps. I recovered a bullet that was an upper shoulder/spine hit on the offside & it was intact & nice. Distance was around 100yds.
I will say that if you are going to use hardcast figure on breaking bones to stop even a lil ol deer. I put the 1st 2 shots through both lungs & my bull flinched but never broke stride. Just kept walking...Downhill... Away from the road...
I think a well constructed expanding bullet would have had different results.
The upper shoulder shot put him down right there.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: Vance in AK.] #144834 05/03/2014 10:15 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I shot a big cow moose a few years ago with my .500 Linebaugh. Impact velocity for the 500 grain bullets was roughly 1,100 fps. All exits. They work real well when not driven too fast. Hey, but dead is dead and there is no arguing that!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: Whitworth] #144837 05/04/2014 12:43 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Had a buddy almost lose an elk using bb 45/70 420 gr hardcast bullets at the 1935 fps level when the bullet broke up on the shoulder. No reason to ru. A cast that fast but when i do i use bearttooth bullets. Toughest hardcast put there and thats all id push that gast but then again i use barnes or a frames when i do

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: Whitworth] #144845 05/04/2014 2:40 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I shot a big cow moose a few years ago with my .500 Linebaugh. Impact velocity for the 500 grain bullets was roughly 1,100 fps. All exits. They work real well when not driven too fast. Hey, but dead is dead and there is no arguing that!

It's hard to stop a freight train isn't it!!?

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: tradmark] #144846 05/04/2014 2:50 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
Had a buddy almost lose an elk using bb 45/70 420 gr hardcast bullets at the 1935 fps level when the bullet broke up on the shoulder. No reason to ru. A cast that fast but when i do i use bearttooth bullets. Toughest hardcast put there and thats all id push that gast but then again i use barnes or a frames when i do

Mine held up fine on the upper shoulders & spine of the moose. Other than the rifling grooves just a touch smeared on a small portion of the leading edge of the meplat on one side. Commercially cast by a guy in Anchorage.

Vance in AK.

Re: Harc Cast Lead Gas Check or Not? [Re: Vance in AK.] #144847 05/04/2014 4:36 PM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
l just ran a little test on some cast bullets l had poured awhile back last nite at the indoor range. My 44 practice load is 8gr Unique behind 230 gr Hensley & Gibbs swc/gc ....l loaded up 2 batches. 0ne with gas checks installed. The second without..l took 2 Smith Wesson 629 44mag to the range to find out..l also took some Speer 44 240gr swc swaged lead one to shoot also...To my surprise the best load for BOTH guns was the H&G swc bullet WITHOUT the gas checks....This is a midrange practice load @ 900fps MV...My MAGNUM load is 20gr 2400...l may try the H&G cast bullets without the gas checks just for curiosity... 0n the midrange practice load l will be kicking the gas check habit.......

Last edited by sw282; 05/04/2014 4:38 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod