Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun only seasons? #145285 05/20/2014 1:10 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Are there any states that have days set aside for handgun hunting, like how they have muzzleloader and archery only seasons? I think I've heard of a few states that have designated handgun-only days interspersed within the regular season, but I don't know how true that is.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Chance Weldon] #145286 05/20/2014 1:18 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Delaware does and I believe Arizona does. AZ call is a HAM season (Handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader).

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Gary] #145292 05/20/2014 5:04 AM
longhunter Offline
addict
addict
in Missouri they have turned our traditional muzzleloading season into a free-for-all,it is now called the "alternative" season. you can use basically anything except for a shotgun loaded with shot.you can use shotgun with slug,hangun,spear,atlatl. which makes no damn sense to me because you can use all these methods during the regular firearms season also.

"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: longhunter] #145299 05/20/2014 11:57 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
longhunter do i understand. not to hijack this, but i have a problem with the way special seasons have gone. bow with peap sights, triggers, X#lbs let off, folding razor heads,ect (no you cant use a crossbow!??). inline ML with pre-made pellets,sabot,scopes,enclosed primer. seams we got away from what we set out to do. handgun only season? in 20 years handguns would be bolt action,scoped, 24" barrel, with a "hip" stock.(shoulder stocks would make it a rifle).

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: bluecow] #145304 05/20/2014 3:06 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Bluecow you make a good point that I had not considered.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Gary] #145306 05/20/2014 3:42 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
In order to understand what and why some of these special seasons get created, you have to find the organized groups for the particular weapon in your state, as Game Departments do not generally just add things. It takes someone or some group petitioning, asking, attending Commission meetings etc.

Granted the commissions do have address changes in methodology probably as a core process (to their charter), but their job is to also promote revenue by getting more folks involved. As a shooting population, we are way past converted Mauser 98's, 30-30 Win's and Savage 99's. Shooting has evolved (or in some cases devolved), so the game seasons have to sorta keep some kind of pace.

One of the reasons bowhunters and muzzleloaders get their own seasons (besides lobbying) is the mere fact of getting close to critters makes concealment paramount. This is dangerous in Rifle seasons, with the vast numbers and ability to shoot long distances. I think the fact that many handgun configurations are no different than bolt action scoped rifles would make unique seasons hard to lobby. maybe a primitive handgun season, fixed sight single actions only ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Gary] #145308 05/20/2014 3:54 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
That's a very good point, Bluecow. I must confess, though, that it wouldn't bother me all that much. If people are hunting ethically and legally, does it really matter which weapon they choose, even if it isn't the most difficult or traditional?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Chance Weldon] #145313 05/21/2014 1:00 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
For the most part, primitive does not mean primitive anymore.

Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: racksmasher1] #145314 05/21/2014 1:13 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Yeah, today it tends to mean "modern rendition of a primitive weapon."

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Chance Weldon] #145317 05/21/2014 2:10 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Who cares about a handgun only season. I fought for years just to get handguns legalized for hunting in West Virginia. Nothing worked. A bunch of us never tried to get a specialized season. Just let us compete with the rifle sissies.
Finally, a bunch of antigun (not handgun) press got our legislators riled up and they allowed it after the hardcore handgunners backed off.
I mentioned handgun hunting squirrels and turkeys with handguns in some off the meetings. I got laughed at. Really ticked me off.
After 12,000+ groundhogs, 1200+ deer, and 3 1/2 dozen turkeys with handguns I'm asked opinions on what guns/loads to use. What goes around comes around. I don't want a special season. I do just fine competing with the rifle/shotgun sissies.

Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: Chance Weldon] #145318 05/21/2014 2:13 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
That's a very good point, Bluecow. I must confess, though, that it wouldn't bother me all that much. If people are hunting ethically and legally, does it really matter which weapon they choose, even if it isn't the most difficult or traditional?

I'll second that.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: KRal] #145445 05/24/2014 1:04 AM
gunguy Offline
stranger
stranger
I suggested this at a townhall meeting by the Kentucky fish and wildlife once but, it never went anywhere. At least I tried!

Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: gunguy] #145446 05/24/2014 2:26 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Maybe thirty-some years ago, Colorado set aside one or two GMU's (Game Management Units) for handguns only. The hunt dates ran concurrently with the regular seasons. As I recall, nothing special came out of this endeavor so it was dropped.

Just give me a legal tag and season to hunt and I will do my huntin' thing. Last season I drew a regular rifle tag for antlered mule deer and killed a Pope and Young buck with my Oneida Eagle bow.

Yes it was legal as I was DOWNGRADING my weapon; but ya can't do it in reverse order.

I agree with wvhhitman:
 Originally Posted By: wvhitman
Who cares about a handgun only season. I do just fine competing with the rifle/shotgun sissies.

\:\)

Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: wvhitman] #146119 06/05/2014 2:21 PM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Illinois offers a doe only handgun only season the January following regular deer season.
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: S.B.] #155109 01/19/2015 2:37 PM
VKV Kaido Ojamaa Offline
stranger
stranger
I agree we Handgun Hunters should be a Vocal as the Bow Hunters and seek to establish our own special seasons. In New York State one can use Handguns in the Early Bear seasons,which is good.
I will take that further as a dedicated Black Powder Handgun Hunter, I think there should be a special season for Black Powder Handgun Hunters Pistol and Percussion Revolvers in all the states and I have founded 2 on line grass groups to do such Grass Roots work, The International Black Powder Handgun Hunters on Yahoo and Facebook, all are free to join who wish to espouse such ethical hunting.

Kaido Ojamaa VKV Inventor of the VKV BG (Big Game(Universal Bullet)series that achieve Magnum Power in Percussion Revolvers,for Hunting Big game.The Bullets have been tested by 2 known Gun Writers.
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: VKV Kaido Ojamaa] #155127 01/19/2015 3:41 PM
JBWhitehead Offline
I'm split on this. On one hand I like the "primitive" weapons season which allows those who want to downgrade to less than a modern rifle the extra chance to go after game. On the other hand, there is very few truly primitive or even traditional hunters left in the game.

Muzzle loaders are inline with scopes and shotshell primers and can surpass many of the firearms I grew up hunting with. Compound bows (and I shoot one, a lot) give a measurable advantage to the recurve and longbow.

The turning point is Arkansas' deer herd. It has exploded and shows no signs of slowing down. If they are not controlled with legal methods during any season we can expect a terrible outcome. As is, we take over 200,000 whitetails a year and just keep out herd under control. Restricting what we have makes no biological sense as it would definitely lose participants.

So I'd have to be in favor of adding a special handgun season.

Lead, push or get the heck out of the way!
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: wvhitman] #155140 01/19/2015 8:32 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I agree with wvhitman. Just let us use handguns during the open seasons. I choose to hunt with a handgun instead of a rifle for the added challenge and satisfaction of it. I love handgunning and have been dedicated to it for over 35 years.
When you create special seasons you attract ill equipped opportunists that just want another season to kill something without investing the time to do it right. It is happening now in PA where they have opened archery season up to crossbows. Calling crossbow hunting archery is a huge insult to all of the dedicated archers out there that actually draw a bow on game. The same as modern inline muzzleloaders vs. flintlocks has ruined the original intent of "primitive" hunting in most states. I vote no for special handgun seasons.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Handgun only seasons? [Re: billa] #155172 01/20/2015 2:21 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm with Gregg, WVHitman and billa. I prefer handguns being allowed during the entirety of all regular seasons, and that is what we were able to accomplish in N.C. in 1980. Why would anyone want a shorter season?

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod