Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. #145469 05/24/2014 8:19 PM
FAH Offline OP
OP Offline
What are the pros and cons of an ultra dot vs. a Jpoint type red dot sight? I have a Jpoint and like it for its small size and ability to fit in a standard belt holster with slight mods to it.
I don't like the star burst effect that I get. Is this caused by to bright of a dot, would an adjustable brightness solve the problem? Also the 4moa dot seems to cover more than I like inside of 75 yds. Would a 2 moa dot be a better choice?
Thanks

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: FAH] #145471 05/24/2014 8:57 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have both styles of sight you mention. The little reflex sights are nice and compact, but unless they are mounted close to the bore line it can be difficult to locate the reticle quickly. The burst effect of your JPoint might be due to a defect in the lens or a flaw in the coating. You will get that burst effect also if the lens gets wet from rain or snow. One thing I do not like about them is the auto-brightness feature. I find the tube sights to be quicker on target as the tube helps to align your eye. Tubes are also sealed from the weather so no worry about starburst effect from weather. Being able to manually adjust brightness really helps in low light and situations where the target is in sunlight and the gun is in the shade. I changed from a reflex to an UltraDot on my main wheelgun because the benefits of the compact size were outweighed by the advantages of the tube.
Before

After

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: s4s4u] #145478 05/25/2014 12:14 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
S4s4u has some good advice. However, I tend to prefer the J-Point types; I have several on my big revolvers and have used them to kill bull elk and mulies.

As said, they are much more compact and they get you away from the "tube on the barrel" effect, which I like. Don't get me wrong, I also have used scoped revolvers and killed big game with them, but sometimes it is nice to not have that tube!

Basically it comes down to personal preference; both types work fine. And as you noted, holster fit is a small issue also.

Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: Gregg Richter] #145486 05/25/2014 3:22 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
I thin Gregg did a nice review on one a while back. Do you have a link Gregg?

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: GlennS] #145491 05/25/2014 6:06 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I love my Ultradot & prefer it over the reflex, but my reflex experience is VERY limited so take my opinion for what it's worth...
As for the "starburst" it may be your eye. I get starburst to some degree, & more at sometimes than others with my right (dominant) eye. With my left none.
4moa is plenty small for me. at 75 yds that covers 3". For squirrels that might be a little much but for big game it's just about perfect &easy to find!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: GlennS] #145492 05/25/2014 6:45 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: GlennS
I think Gregg did a nice review on one a while back. Do you have a link Gregg?

Thanks Glenn. Here it is:

Review on the DeltaPoint Sight

Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: Gregg Richter] #145504 05/25/2014 3:59 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I used to think that the star burst was completely about eye issues. I know it can be part of the issue, as I have played with a lot of the different reflex type sights. Your eye's will have some impact. I can vary my "bursting" just by not being hydrated enough, or just plain tired.

As noted above, the quality of the glass, whether it is absolutely clean, marked up from micro scratches etc. all can play a role. But it is also affected by what I would call the "bias" of the brightness. ON non-brightness adjustable models, the makers have to pick some brightness levels, and make some assumptions about use. A white plate rack shot in the New Mexico sun at mid-day needs a lot of brightness just to find and see the dot. Under the same outdoor conditions, swing that sight against a dark colored target and you might get some starring. Looking through the sights at the gun store counter, if you can find one with live batteries, around the shop is not going to tell you much about how a sight will behave outdoors, in different light conditions.

I stumbled on this myself over a few years of fiddling with various makes. Now to check, I point the sight at the blue bright sky, or move closer to the sun, and I can pretty much make any flaring sight sharp. With my glasses on, aiming with my "good" eye and a few cups of coffee in me, but not too many cups ;^)

Craig

Last edited by Bearbait in NM; 05/25/2014 3:59 PM.

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: Bearbait in NM] #145510 05/26/2014 12:39 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I would like to add a little info here from my own experiences, in hopes that it may help others out.

The J-Point sight is a close (if not exact) copy of the old Tasco Optima red dot sight, (the Optima is shown in s4s4u's pic) and apparently JP Enterprises has bought out that model from Tasco. The only place I have been able to find Tasco Optima's for sale is on e-bay.

JP used to manufacture a base for this sight for the Ruger single actions, but has since discontinued it. I had a few custom made, but they are costly. I see no reason why JP should not bring that base back; I think it would sell.

To mount one on a Ruger SA you would probably need to go with the picatinny rail type base as shown by s4s4u; unless you had a custom base made.

J-Points on a FA Model 83 .500 WE and a Custom Ruger in .475 L.

Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: Gregg Richter] #145514 05/26/2014 2:10 AM
FAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Living in the Pacific Northwest and hunting mostly under a canopy of trees (rain forest) I find the star burst effect more evident. When I get out from under that canopy the star burst diminishes about 50%. I also noticed that the star burst diminishes a bit when I shoot without my bifocals. Anyone else experience these phenomenon?
Also where can I get a picatinny mount for my RSBH?
Thank you all for your input and awesome pictures greatly appreciate your responses.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: Gregg Richter] #145516 05/26/2014 2:37 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you can get a mount like Gregg has there it makes that sight much easier to get on target. I have one lying around here somewhere if interested. I have an Optima mounted on my 22/45 that is nice and low like that and am going to try one on a 1911. They are a good sighting system, but for my go to I went with the UltraDot.

Rod, too.

Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: FAH] #145517 05/26/2014 2:39 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Also where can I get a picatinny mount for my RSBH?

Jack Weigand makes several and is what I used on my Bisley.

http://www.jackweigand.com/

Rod, too.

Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: s4s4u] #145524 05/26/2014 1:16 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have two JPoint sights and one of the tube types. I prefer the compactness of the JPoint over the tube type. The two JPoint's I have are mounted on a 10mm Glock and a custom revolver in 500 Linebaugh. Both have held up well with no issues.

I believe the starburst effect is from the condition of the lens. One of my sights has a perfect round dot, while the other has some starburst. I noticed on this sight the lens appears to have some light scratches.

When I mounted the JPoint on my revolver, I noticed there was no mount listed for Ruger single action revolvers. I also knew the Leupold DD mount fits both Redhawk's and Blackhawk single actions. I contacted JPoint and inquired about this and here is the reply I received.

"Our mount fits in place of the factory adjustable rear sight, and all of the Ruger Revolvers with the adjustable rear sight share the same mount so it will fit fine."

Dave Cammack
Engineering, Technical Support & Quality Control
JP Enterprises, Inc.

Here is the part number: JPA-RR

Here is a picture of my revolver with the JPoint using this mount.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: Randominator] #145525 05/26/2014 3:29 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I had already drilled and tapped my Bisley for a scope so I just mounted to that existing rail, but one of those bases is the way to go for the mini reflex sights. I got one in a trade later on but have not installed it. The closer to the bore the better with those little guys.

Rod, too.

Re: Ultra Dot vs Jpoint, Delta Point,etc. [Re: s4s4u] #145528 05/26/2014 5:58 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Randominator,

Thanks for the information from JP Enterprises.

Again, I just looked at their website, and the confusing part that has been throwing me off all along is still there.

Quote:

JPA-RR
"JPoint Mount Adapter for Ruger Double Action Revolvers with Adjustable Sights."

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1a.php

If the same base does indeed fit the single action Rugers then it would be beneficial to their sales if they would remove the wording "Double Action."

Just an observation.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod