Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Came across a good deal I think. #9552 08/11/2005 5:23 AM
Davevsmall Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a friend who has a "Old" model blackhawk in 45 LC and is in need of money. I can walk away with it for under 200.00 but Im worried about it being the old model. Should I be worried and what is the diffrence between new and old.

Our Cause Is Just!!! Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003-2005
Re: Came across a good deal I think. [Re: Davevsmall] #9553 08/11/2005 5:53 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
don't worry in the least. assuming that the gun is in good mechanical shape,(hasn't been abused) it will be just fine. many actually prefer the old models because of a smoother trigger and action. i have both kinds and love them all. i just prefer stainless steel for hunting and such so i just use my new models most of the time. old models were blued only. but the old models are sweet to shoot and beautifully finished. now that that is out of the way....what differentiates the 2 guns is that the new models all incorporate a transfer bar safety that allows the gun to safely be carried with 6 rounds loaded and hammer down on a live round. the old models lacked this and if you were to carry them hammer down on a live round and dropped it, it would fire and possibly kill something you didn't want to. for years ruger has offered to retrofit old models with transfer bars to fix this. some have been done, some haven't. simply cock the gun and look between the hammer and frame and look for the metal transfer bar. as far as loads, the old models will handle any load the new ones will including the heavier hunting loads that many prefer. either way, as long as the gun is funtionally OK and not abused, i think you will like it at what seems to be a rather fair price.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Came across a good deal I think. [Re: Davevsmall] #9554 08/12/2005 1:59 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
ruger will still update it for you with the transfer bar safety but I have kept my 3screw 357 original, I do like the action of the gun it is smoother than the new models

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Came across a good deal I think. [Re: wapitirod] #9555 08/12/2005 3:47 PM
reakin Offline
$200 for an Old Model Ruger?? Heck, I know many, many guys that would gladly slap down $200 regardless of condition JUST BECAUSE its an Old Model!! Especially if it hasn't been sent in for the safety conversion. Either way, $200 is a steal. reakin

Last edited by reakin; 08/12/2005 3:49 PM.
Re: Came across a good deal I think. [Re: reakin] #9556 08/13/2005 12:47 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
200 bucks for an old model Ruger. I'd buy that thing in a heart beat. Even if it needs refinishing or something it's worth the money. I've seen those things going for close to 500. Just don't send it to Ruger, they'll convert it. Hope you get the gun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod